Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DamenATDMB Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Filing head of household, 20 year old girlfriend as dependent.
    I am doing taxes for a friend. Last year, he used H&R Block and filed as head of household. He claimed his 19 year old girlfriend as a dependent. I would have thought he would not be able to do that. Instead, I thought they would have to file separate raturns for each of them. She was in school part time in 2006 but was not in school in 2007.

Is it legal for him to file as head of household and claim his 20 year olg girlfriend as a dependent or should they be filing separate returns?

Please educate me on this.

Thanks!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 03:45 PM
    She is an adult, he can't legally claim her as a dependent.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    She is an adult, he can't legally claim her as a dependent.
    Progunr is right - but for the wrong reason. To file as HoH and claim someone as a dependent requires that the person is either a "qualifying child" or a "qualifying relative," which means the GF must be this fellow's child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or in-law. The GF does not qualify - unless there's something really kinky going on ;)
    topladyj Posts: 323, Reputation: 13

Feb 28, 2008, 04:22 PM
    I Agree You Can't Claim Your Girlfriend They Need To File Separate. Like A 1040 Ez.
    DamenATDMB Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Progunr is right - but for the wrong reason. To file as HoH and claim someone as a dependent requires that the person is either a "qualifying child" or a "qualifying relative," which means the GF must be this fellow's child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or in-law. The GF does not qualify - unless there's something really kinky going on ;)

Well they do live in Apache Junction. If you know about AZ and the Phoenix area that comment may apply! Ha
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Progunr is right. You could have just left it with that. Because I assumed that his girlfriend
    Was not a relative, makes my answer right, but for the wrong reason? OK.
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Sorry Progunr - perhaps I was splitting hairs, but what you said was "she is an adult, he can't legally claim her as a dependent," which could be misinterpreted to mean that if the GF was, say, 17 years old he could claim her. That would be incorrect.
    Lon Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Mar 1, 2008, 10:28 AM
    He may be able to claim her as a dependent:
    A qualifying "relative" does not have to be related.
    They have to (1) not be the qualifying child of the taxpayer, (2) must live with the taxpayer for the entire year as a member of the taxpayer's household, (3) have an adjusted gross income of less than $3,400 and (4) the taxpayer must provide more than half of the dependents total support for the tax year.

Many things are not what they appear to be. Ask the right questions and you might get the right answer.
    Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 07:18 AM
    So to clarify all this - the boy friend can claim the GF as a dependent under the rules as a "qualifying relative," but he can not file as Head of Household since the qualifying relative is not a qualifying person for HoH purposes. Bottom line - he should file as single with one dependent. Agreed?
    Lon Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2008, 07:29 PM
    No - he can claim head of houshold if she meets all of the criteria for dependency. She is then a qualifying person. I had a tax professor years ago that said if you try to use logic to figure out tax law most often you will be wrong.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 08:27 PM
    NO, he CAN'T file as head of household. She is not a qualifying person. A qualifying person has to be your qualifying child, relative or parents. Read this for more on qualifying person:

Tax News: Who is a Head of Household?
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Mar 6, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Publication 501 (2007), Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information

It's a little confusing this year as far as claiming HOH because of a "qualifying relative"

Technically she is a qualfied relative this year. They changed the rules and added the word must be related OR someone who has lived in your household for the whole year. BUT that only applies to claiming her as a depedent.
    If you look at who is a qualifying child/qualifying relative under Head of Household, about 1/4 of the way down the web page the second to last paragraph on the chart excludes the girlfriend because she only qualified as a "relative" because she lived there and is not related.

Go about 1/3 of the way down the page and it will explain the four requirements of even claiming her as a "qualifying relative dependent"
    1. She cannot be claimed as a dependent by anyone else
    2. She must have lived in the household the whole year and it cannot violate any laws
    3. She must not have earned over $3400
    4. You must prove that you supported her over 50%

So he can file single and claim her as a dependent if all 4 of the requirements for being a dependent are met.
    Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2008, 10:23 PM
    The requirement for a Qualifying relative for claiming as a Dependent are different from qualifying relative for head of household.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Mar 6, 2008, 10:26 PM
    That's what I was trying to point out in my answer and what and why the differences were
    Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 03:21 AM
    Criteria for claiming a dependent are different from qualifying relative for filing as head of household.

The girl friend can be a dependent if she lived with you for all year and did not earn more than $3,400 in 2007.
    Read under Qualifying relative: Read: Your Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent

A girl friend can not make you head of household as she is not a relative as per the list by IRS. Read under head of household: Your Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon
    No - he can claim head of houshold if she meets all of the criteria for dependency. She is then a qualifying person.
    Not so. Please see Pub 501, Table 4, "Who Is a Qualifying Person Qualifying You To File as Head of Household?"

IF the person is your .. . Qualifying relative other than your father or mother
    AND... he or she is not related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you and is your qualifying relative only because he or she lived with you all year as a member of your household
    THEN that person is... Not a qualifying person.

This describes the OP's girlfriend. She is a qualifying relative for dependency purposes, but not a qualifyng person for HoH purposes.

This so confusing that I bet the IRS has a hard time figuring out their own rules, and so if the OP filed as HoH they may never catch up with it.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 07:11 AM
    It seems mobea is right

Can I Claim My Live In Girlfriend On My Fed. Income Tax If She Did... - Blurtit
    eet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 12:15 PM
    This answer is incorrect. A person does not have to be a minor or be a relative to be a dependent. Age actually has nothing to do with it, so the comment that says "no she is an adult" is ridiculous and unsubstantiated. Valid questions are do you support her? Does she live with you? How much does she make, if anything?
    Expert

Jun 1, 2012, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eet View Post
    This answer is incorrect. A person does not have to be a minor or be a relative to be a dependant. Age actually has nothing to do with it, so the comment that says "no she is an adult" is rediculous and unsubstantiated. Valid questions are do you support her? Does she live with you? How much does she make, if anything?
    Eet - this thread is over 4 years old, and was not about whether the GF is a dependent or not, but rather whether he could file as HoH. And yes, the relation does indeed matter for filing as HoH.
    eet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 12:43 PM
    I am single, work full time, and own my home. My girlfriend and her son live with me. She does not work and I support them both. She has a student loan in default. If I claim her and her son as dependants ( I support them both 100%, she has zero income, etc.), can the IRS take my tax refund because of her defaulted loan?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing taxes as head of household [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I wrote a Question about how should I file my taxes, and some of you said that I could file head of household and claim my son who lives with me cause he is mildly retared and get a SSI check. Okay now Just out of I'm wondering I called the IRS, the lady on the phone said that I could file...

Head of Household [ 2 Answers ]

I remarried last year but I provide ALL of the expenses of my household. My spouse does work but it is my income that pays all the bills, and the upkeep of the home. Can I still file as Head of Household?

Head of Household when married living together, filing separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am a German national and US resident (filing as resident alien). My wife is also a German national, but as a student she can file as a non-resident alien. For a number of reasons we want to file our tax returns separately. Initially I thought this was going to be a "married filing...

Head of Household [ 3 Answers ]

I have two clients who are partners. They each live in the same house, both on title, and both on the mortgage. Also, they have a rental property together. One of the partners has two children and wants to file head of household with two dependents. The HOH requirement is that the taxpayer...

Filing Head of Household, dependants? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the stipulation to file head of household, and I am full time student, with two daughters, the home is in jacks name and he makes the payments, I contribute no income. Can you claim the three of us?

View more questions Search