Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FeelSoNumbZombie Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Feb 28, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Found Roman Silver Coin- What's the value?
    Should I even bother to find out? I found what looks like a Roman Silver coin. It is the size of a quarter. It is worn on its edges and not completely round in shape. There is a picture of what looks like Cesear or Greek looking man, on the front and a bird on the back that looks like a falcon. But that one I am unsure. Should I have this evaluated? Where do I go to have an appraisal? There are some ancient graphics around the edges, maybe roman numerals? But it is hard to make out. Any suggestions? I have been told that this is now "your lucky coin" and to hold it in my right pocket and rub it from time to time for good luck. Is this true, as well? Any idea's? Have any of you heard of this "good luck coin" thing? Just wondering.

Feb 28, 2008, 04:33 PM
    After searching the internet all day about this coin, I found it!
    Ancient Judean Coin Ancient Greek Coin Gold Roman Ancient Coin Ancient Biblical Coin

Shekels of Tyre - the Biblical 'Thirty Pieces of Silver'

JB600. Phoenicia, Tyre, after 126BC, AR Didrachm (Half Shekel) (7.1g). Melqart (Phoenician version of Hercules) head rt./Eagle left on prow, dated year 47 (=79/78BC), SG 5921. Near centered on slightly small flan which loses bottom of eagle's feet, few small spots of minor encrustation near edges obv. clear date, nice sharp portrait and eagle, light tone, Extremely Fine... $950 Photo
    This coin type was the Temple Tax for one year at the time of Christ.

WaHoo! I found it on the internet! Amazing! I put in Greek Roman Silver Coin Falcon Eagle in my browser and this came up!:
    http://www.ancient-art.com/images/jb600.jpg

Ok, now what do I do with it? Any suggestions?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 05:35 PM
    I am glad that you were able to find an image of a coin such as that! I would suggest taking it to a coin dealer of an auctioneer for evaluation and appraisal. Are you sure that it's real? I have some coins that are replicas of those from Biblical times. They look real. Where did you find it, if you wouldn't mind sharing?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 05:59 PM
    I own a some, bought them from coin dealers 10 or 15 years ago, some of mine are the size smaller than a penny, a couple a lot smaller.
    Many of the fakes are hard to tell, also there are many foreign coins, that can look like you described. If you can post a photo of it here , it will help

Feb 28, 2008, 06:22 PM
    I found the coin at a lake in Oklahoma, in the sand. I will take a picture of it. But it looks exactly like the photo's I found on the internet. I do not have a clue about coins. But it looks authentic. That is why I was so curious. I will also inquire with a coin dealer or auctioner. This coin is very old looking. But most of the graphics are seen. I have been trying to figure out what Roman year the coin was made in. How can you tell? Would you happen to know? It is amazing that I was able to stumble upon the actual coin on several sites.
    Mine is: Tyre, Phoenicia
    Jesus-Jerusalem through Coins
    My coin has the same line in the first photo, yet a TM above it.
    Where this one in the photo has an LM in the second and unknown mark in the one above it in the picture at this site. And on the other side of the Eagle, mine has AJ, where the one in the photo has a leaf? And the other an upside down looking V and Y.
    Any idea's what my line and above TM, other side- upside down V Y means in interpretation? This is very interesting.

Feb 28, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Also, is there some spiritual meaning to finding one of these coins? Or mystical meaning? Just wondering. When I saw that this coin could be from the Shekels of Tyre - the Biblical 'Thirty Pieces of Silver', I began to wonder if it was found for a spiritual significance? Things like this have happened to me before. That is why I am asking. I just thought that it may have some significance spiritually for me to have found it. Even if it could possibly be a fake. Actually, I have no idea if it is fake or not. I guess someone with expertise in this field would be able to tell or not. All I can gather is that it looks real, it feels real, it looks like silver, it needs to be cleaned up properly, it is darkened in areas. I will have to find that digital camera! Am I able to post a picture of it here?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 06:28 PM
    This site gives you an idea of values

Roman Coins for Sale Ancient Coins for Sale Ancient Greek Coins Buy Online Biblical Coins

Feb 28, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Ok, from what I gathered from this site is that it is a coin from the new testament.

Coins of the New Testament

Celtic World

The coins which are mentioned in the Bible
    There are no Old Testament references to coins, although many rulers and events associated with coinage are mentioned. The New Testament refers to three specific coins: the denarius, the mite or lepton, and the shekel.

tyre.gif (4798 bytes)

Shekel of Tyre
    The "tribute penny" is considered to be a denarius of Tiberius, the Roman emperor of the time. The "widow's mite" is the smallest bronze coin in circulation, the lepton. The shekel, for the Temple tax, is considered to be a contemporary coin of Tyre.

But couldn't find the value of it. One site stated it was worth $950. But honestly, the value is secondary to what may be the reason why I may have found it spiritually. I wouldn't really care if it was real or fake. The value is secondary to me.
    The significance is far more important if it was a message.

And I realize that this may come across a little wacky. But I have found things before that have had significance spiritually to me. Money, jewelry, stones, etc. And now this coin. If I pray about something, I sometimes receive a spiritual message. Whether it has been money for college, or a bill, jewelry of my Grandmothers that no one could find, stones that were significant to someone who had died in my life, etc. Yet, it does help knowing the value of it. If it is real, that is. At first, I have to tell you. I wanted to know the value of the coin. But after reading about the coin itself, I wondered about a possible significance in my life related to a prayer I have had recently. I guess, in a way, I have answered my own question. With your help, of course!
    I will without a doubt look into this further. If it is what has been found on the internet and is authentic, that would be wonderful.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:34 PM
    FeelSoNumbZombie - If I were you I would have it Athe3nicated by one of the following,They will tell you every thing you want to know about the coin,and grading encapsulation,the present value of it #1 - ANACS GRADING SERVICE YOU CAN CONTACT THEM AT ( ANACS Home Page or this address- P.O.box 200300, AUSTIN TEXAS 78720-0300
    --#2 ( NGC_ Phone number is 1-800-459-2646. I have used boyh of these before and they are both good and trust worthy , If I could see the coin I could pretty tell you things about it , I have been looking at 6 different bibical roman coins in my book to night already ,I have 3 different bibical coins in my collection, but as clough said ( YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL BECAUSE THERE arE a lot of counterfit coinS OUT there. That's one reason ,if I am not sure about a coin I send it to one of the ones above. When you talk to someone there tell them you need special envelope to send coin or coins to them, don't foget to send them insuared , don't cost much , on just the one you asked about on this post, I would INSURE for at least $200.00. FSNZ- what ever you do ,DO NOT RUB THE COIN WITH YOUR HANDS OR FINGERS <YOU WILL RUIN THE COIN< ALWAYS WIPE DRY A COIN AFTER HANDLING IT < BE CAUSE THE BODY OILS FROM YOUR BODY WILL REALLY EAT IT UP . I can give you what ever you want to know about the biblical coins. ( REMEMBER - DO NOT CLEAN OR RUB THE COIN!! < THEY WILL CLEAN IT THE WAY THAT IS SAFE TO CLEAN IT ::: GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.

Mar 1, 2008, 04:23 AM
    Thank you for all of the information. I have to admit, I have rubbed it. Handled it, etc. Held it in my pocket, etc. Maybe because I wanted to know the actual reasoning of how I could have found such a coin to begin with?
    I probably won't mail it out, but thank you for the idea Flying Blue Eagle. For me, it's value isn't in the cost but in the message of me finding it. Of all places, Oklahoma on a sandy beach. Whether it be authentic and or fake, does not matter to me. Not unless I lose my job tomorrow, that is! Lol
    Then I might want to know its monetary value. For me, it was amazing just finding information about this coin on the internet by simply putting what it looked like in a browser. I am still searching for our digital camera in the house. One of the kids must have put it somewhere? All I can tell you is that it looks exactly like the ones posted on the internet. Although, it does have its own dates, as I have previously posted. I guess the dates are in Roman? Or Greek? And I suppose the date would describe what actual year if authentic the coin was actually made in?
    What would be amazing is if this coin was actually one of Judas' coins?
    I have a coin collector that is close by me. I will first bring it to them for authenticity purposes. Just to know one way or the other.
    Whether fake or not, it would be nice to know. I will ask them to clean it, because it is darkened. I promise not to rub it or handle it from NOW ON! Hehe I will keep it in a small jewelry box!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Hello feel:

I'm sure it's from the time when the Romans controlled the ancient lands known as Oklahomadom. What? You didn't know that?

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Fsnz - Here is another plave you can this coin. Go to a reg. coin dealer or coin shop, they have a very large book on coins only, it's about 18" to24", Long ,about 16" lwide and about 12" thick. IT is a book on ( Coins of the world. Not only can you see pictures of both sides of the coin but it gives the present value of the coin and a small brief on it .
    Back in the early 80's, a friend of mine down in alaba ma was using his garden tiller to get his garden ready for planting and the tiller turned over out of the ground a coin that would go as uncirculated, dated 1739, And he knew that I being a coin collector that I would probably want the coin and he called me and sent me the coin , I tried to buy it but he would not hear of it , said if I wanted the coin for my collection to put it in the collection, I told him that I was going to try to find out all I could on the coin and I'd let him know what I found Out> I found out going to a reg. coin shop and using the book I wrote about above ,I found out that it was a british coin And called a farthing and it took 4 of them to make one British penny, And it is just a little larger then our half dollar. NO WONDER THEY ALL WALK LIKE THEY HAVE ONE LEG SHORTER THEN THE OTHER HA HA . In 1983 it was worth $985.00 . Good Luck& GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Does the TM look like part of the coin design or the greek lettering or is it printed *apart* from the design of the coin?

TM could stand for something like Trademark if it isn't part of the design of the coin
    Which would make it a replica

EBay has ancient greek coins
    eBay.co.uk Shop – Ancient Coins NL: Search results for.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 04:09 AM
    It's true that "TM" might actually stand for Trademark. It could also mean a denominational value for the coin like LM might be.

Please think of the odds of finding a coin such as this where you did? It would be most unlikely and improbable...

But then, maybe someone else did find a coin such as this somewhere, or perhaps it was given to them, and like you might have had it on them and was also using it as some sort of charm like you seem to want to? Also, very unlikely and improbable...

If you have a scanner or a digital camera and could post an image here, that would be helpful. But still, probably the best thing to do is to take it to a coin shop or an auctioneer.

Mar 7, 2008, 10:15 AM
    I brought the coin to a coin dealer. He said it was authentic and worth around $1000. I also found out why I may have found this coin. And it is now in the hands of the person that was intended to receive it. Nothing happens by coincidence. Thank you for all of your help and guidance. And - the comedy!
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 03:25 AM
    I am very interested in why you may have found the coin and how it is now in the hands of the person who was intended to receive it, if you wouldn't mind sharing that, please? This sounds really interesting!

Mar 9, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Clough,
    My brother had endured an emotional crisis in his life recently. He blamed God for almost every aspect of his life that did not turn out to his satisfaction. He turned away from his faith. He became angry and resentful. When he told me how he was feeling, I immeadiately knew why I found the coin. At least to me, I knew- It was for him. He collects things. Were I never have. Baseball cards, coins, figurines, etc- you name it. But when he confided in me about losing his faith, it was the clincher for me. He was the reason I found the coin. It wasn't intended to be mine. I was just the messenger or the avenue. It is my hope that he reconnects with his faith and maybe in some small way- this coin may help? It is my hope that he no longer blames God for his misgivings in life. He has made bad decisions in life and that isn't God's fault. He cried when I gave it to him. Especially, after I told him it was authentic, and everything I found out about it so easily on the internet alone, etc and what the coin collector told me. I do hope that it may help him spiritually to get over this hurdle in his life. Sometimes, we find things that may not belong to us. But for someone we love or care about. Even if it just gives them a little relief. Or helps them in some small aspect in their lives. Or gives them a message that they can only understand? I believe it is important not to sweat the small stuff. But it is also the small stuff that helps you heal through difficult times. A smile. A warm embrace. Forgiveness. People praying for you on your behalf, taking time to watch the sunset or even just taking a deep breath when you feel as if you are emotionally at the end of your rope. Or it could even be someone finding a coin that was intended for you. For him, it made him think. And that was more I could do with words. And I believe it was another reason why God works in ways that we don't understand at times. Or the small messages that he gives us, for others. Like my brother.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 10:08 PM
    FellSoNumbZombie - I don't know your age ,But I will say that you have THE HEAD ON YOUR SHOULDERS OF A T LEAST A 25 year old. There are so many young kids out in this olworld today that are so lost that theuy have gone beyo and the point of no return. I do everything I can to turn them around ,but most of the time what you say or do for them ,It goes in one ear and stright out the other ear. And most of the time it really is not there fault. I found that out being a cub master first then a scout master for 12 years then as commissner in scout council for 2 years. Scouting did help turn some boys around to go the right direction. ( I want to say this ,{ I am very proud of you for your thouths and kindness toward your brother a and I can tell that you treat other people like a very good CHRISTEN! ] ) Keep up GODS work, I believe that at first you would make a good YOUTH PASTOR and then A Good Pastor for GOD in a few years , AT my church we have a youth PASTOR that the church is also besides a good salry we are paying his way threw Seminary School. This could be YOU some day, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK< GOD NEEDS YOU >:::: HAVE A GOOD DAY & GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.

Mar 11, 2008, 01:03 AM
    Ah Gosh Flying Blue, thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it. Even though my sentiments could be found by some as "sappy" to say the least. But, since Clough asked, I thought that my brother wouldn't mind as long as I didn't tell anyone his personal business. I assure you, I am "old" as far as my kids are concerned and "young" enough for the mechanic today to call me "kiddo" today! Hehe
    BTW, my brother has really taken to the coin. Must be a guy thing? He bought a special coin holder for it and has it on his nightstand. I also saw a bible next to it! Which if you knew him, you would think it was a miracle or something. I guess the coin was a message in some way for him. Now if he could just find a good wife, he'd be set. I told him today, that with every door that closes another opens. And if this coin helps him to get closer to God, than it was all God's work and process to get it to him.
    KimPingston Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2012, 07:31 PM
    I, too, have one or two of these coins, and I'm wondering if you had your coin appraised and what the outcome was.

Please email me. [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roman Empire [ 4 Answers ]

What was the ultimate resason for the collapse of the Roman Empire?

Silver coin certificate of 1928 [ 0 Answers ]

I have silver coin certificate of 1928, D00033700A. the face value is one million. I want to know how much that costs?

Roman frescoes ? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I make a fresco and what is all the history behind them in ancient rome?

My wife is a christian and I'm a roman catholic [ 62 Answers ]

We got married at her church and now she is suggesting for a baby girl to be baptised at her church but, I kind of want her to have her christining at my church? This religion thing between us didn't come to my mind at all when I married her. I truly love her but need some advice. I honeslty...

Logging in the Middle Ages/Roman Times. [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any history buffs here, who know about life in Roman times? I'm curious to find out what logging practices were like during those times. What kind of equipment they may have used? Did they have cross cut saws and hand axes, like what loggers in the Northwest would have used in the...

View more questions Search