Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShaundaPalmer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Networking between windows and mac
    I have a computer running Windows XP and a new apple laptop which is Mac. How do I share a printer on this network? The printer is attached to the Windows computer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2008, 12:23 PM
    I don't think you can do it that way. You need a networkable printer or a print server to attach it . Then you connect directly into the router or switch.
    scoobydoo_157 Posts: 27, Reputation: 4

Feb 29, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Maybe this will help,

I found this on a post on macosxhints.com

Here is how you do it.

On the WinXP Box:

Add the TCP/IP print server service

1. Log in with Administrative privileges.
    2. Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.
    3. Double-click Add-remove Programs.
    4. Click the Add-Remove Windows Components side button.
    5. Open the Other Network File and Printer Services section.
    6. Put a checkmark in Print Services for Unix.
    7. Click OK; click Next. (The Computer will probably ask for the WinXP install disk, put it in and the install will run automatically.)
    8. Click Finish.
    9. Close the Add-remove programs window.

To have the service start automatically (as a daemon):

1. Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Administrative Tools.
    3. Double-click Services.
    4. Double-click TCP/IP print Server.
    5. Change the "Startup Type" to Automatic.
    6. Click OK and close the windows that are open.

To share the printer for TCP/IP printing:

1. Click Start -> Settings -> Printers.
    2. Right-click the print you want to share and select Sharing.
    3. Click the radio button for Share as and fill in the share name you want to print to.

On your Mac:

1. Launch the Print Center.
    2. Click the "Add Printer" button.
    3. Change "Appletalk" to "IP Printing"
    4. Enter the WinXP Computer's IP address in the Address box.
    5. Uncheck the default queue radio button.
    6. Enter the name of the printer share you defined on the XP machine.
    7. Select your printer model (Install Gimp-Print if you don't see a ppd for your printer, restart print center and try again).

Print away!
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Mar 4, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Don't you at the least, have to have Mac OSX installed to support IP printing?

Our Unix/Linux and Mac (the red-headed stepchildren) users use TCP/IP printing services without any problems.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 5, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole
    Don't you at the least, have to have Mac OSX installed to support IP printing?

Our Unix/Linux and Mac (the red-headed stepchildren) users use TCP/IP printing services without any problems.
    In this case the printer is attached to the windows box. In the case of your step-children ;) they print directly to a network printer which has a print server included with it. The steps that scoobydoo_157 outlined make the Windows XP machine appear as a TCP/IP printer which the Mac can print to.

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mac VS PC - Which runs windows faster? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Here's my question: If there was two laptops both with exactly equal specifications, an Apple Macbook Pro and lets say a Sony Vaio. Would the MacBook still be able to run Windows XP as fast as the Vaio through bootcamp/parallels etc. Or would it run slower because its not the native OS....

Windows XP Pro SP2 Wireless Networking Issue - Refuses to Connect to Router [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a home network of 3 computers which share the same broadband connection. I moved house a few months ago and until then I was able to run the internet connection into the wireless router, unfortunately my new ISP (Spanish ISP, Telefonica) refuses connection with everything except their...

Windows On Mac [ 2 Answers ]

How To Put Windows On Mac?:D

Windows XP and a Mac [ 3 Answers ]

Got an Intel based Mac? Want to duel boot both XP,and OSX legally? Then go to: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ Be warned,it's an 83mg download,and you must have all the listed requirements.And it's only a Beta download.

Networking windows xp and 2000 [ 4 Answers ]

I have one windows 2000 computer and one windows xp. They can both connect to the internet through the cable modem on a 10/10 network. I can not, however, get them to connect to each other. I tried running network setup wizard and that didn't help. They are both on the same workgroup. Does anyone...

View more questions Search