Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wholl311 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 11:12 AM
    I still love my ex-fiance how do I tell her?
    First a little background. Me and my ex lived together for about 4 1/2 years. We had a good relationship but we were both drug addicts. Finally, she left me and went to treatment to get sober. I decided I would do the same thing. She is back in my home town in Texas and I moved to Atlanta, GA to get sober. We both have been sober about a year and a half. We have been talking on the phone every day for the past six months. In 2 months she is coming to visit me in Atlanta. I still love her and want to tell her but don't want to over step any boundaries. Plus if she doesn't feel the same way I don't want to lose her as a friend. Do I take a chance and tell her before she comes? Do I wait and tell her when she is here? Or do I play it safe and just wait and see what happens. HELP!
    ldyastrid Posts: 82, Reputation: 12

Feb 28, 2008, 11:44 AM
    First.. CONGRATULATIONS! Becoming sober is not an easy task and you both are to be commended!

You have been talking on the phone but haven't seen each other in 18 months. Since you were both addicts, who each of you are now, as sober individuals, are not the same as when you were last together. Give it time - if it's meant to be, it'll hold out. When she comes to see you, it may be an eye opening experience for each of you... it may reaffirm your commitment you once had to each other - or - it could shed light on things you each didn't notice/see in the other.

My opinion... take it slow... you are both walking a new path - if it's meant to be, you'll end upon the same path... if not - your paths may just cross.

Keep up the good work!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 12:05 PM
    My opinion... take it slow... you are both walking a new path -
    I agree and that's my advice, take it slow, you both are truly different so wait and see how different. There is no hurry.

Congrats for being sober, and clean, and I hope you stay that way. It's a great world without any mind or mood altering drugs.
    JL FANATIC Posts: 40, Reputation: 7

Feb 28, 2008, 06:43 PM
    CONGRAULATIONS on you and her being sober. YES let her know before she comes out there. Your objective is to get her back right? Its love there are no boundaries with that. You have to be honest with yourself and also her too. SOLID foundation to start your new life as one. If she comes out You had better have a ring of some sort. Good Luck.
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Feb 28, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wholl311
    First a little background. Me and my ex lived together for about 4 1/2 years. We had a good relationship but we were both drug addicts. Finally, she left me and went to treatment to get sober. I decided I would do the same thing. She is back in my home town in Texas and I moved to Atlanta, GA to get sober. We both have been sober about a year and a half. We have been talking on the phone every day for the past six months. In 2 months she is coming to visit me in Atlanta. I still love her and want to tell her but don't want to over step any boundaries. Plus if she doesn't feel the same way I don't want to lose her as a friend. Do I take a chance and tell her before she comes? Do I wait and tell her when she is here? Or do I play it safe and just wait and see what happens. HELP!

Congratulations for being sober... then I want to say wait until you see her, so she is able to see how you are progressing, and it won't push her away and ruin any chance of seeing her if she doesn't feel the same.. Seeing is believing good luck! Best wishes to you and I hope you continue to progress...
    Mr_am Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

Feb 28, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Use your tongue.
    wholl311 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that we met in Memphis a few weeks ago. We stayed in the same room but slept in separate beds in part because I had brought some friends along with me. Last night we were talking and in just teasing I told her "She didn't want to come to atlanta that there was nothing good worth seeing here." because I was stuck in traffic. To which she replied "You are". I think she feels the same about me as I do about her but I'm still pretty fearful about telling her.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Have fun getting reacquainted, but be cautious that your not just feeling things from the past. Essentially, you have both changed, and need to go slow to give yourself a chance, to see how much has changed. Your not a dope fiend, so use your brain, as I have seen many a couple crash and burn, after they got sober, but still had not gotten over the impulsive behavior, and jumped in to fast, when there was no real hurry. Take this as a new relationship, and forget the past one. Start from scratch, and build on a solid foundation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My fianc? Of 2 years doesn't want to make love anymore! [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 19 and my fiancé is 20. We have been off and on in out relationship for 2 years and the sex has been amazing. He wasn't very good when I met him but I've turned him into an amazing lover. We have been back together for a month now since our last split... I'm not very trusting of him and have...

How to get my fiancŽ to the US [ 1 Answers ]

At the moment I am with my fiancé in the UK. We are planning to go back to the US and get married, but we are a little (well a LOT) confused on how to go about it. I have been to the USCIS website. It seems like I need to use either the K-1 visas for fiancés and the K-3 visas for spouses. But,...

Is my fianc? Gay or doesn't he love me? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 26 (almost 27) years old. I have been with my boyfriend/ fiancé (who knows) for 6 years. He has introduced me to his family and includes me in all family events. He calls me first thing in the morning, a few times during the day and also at night just before bed, he never says much though....

FiancŽ and love or not? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I agree with you LBP. I have been doing the easy thing. The quick fix. It's a very immature thing but I know I do this in my relationships. Rather than go through the pain and hurt and so forth I just want out. Over. You know? I think, maybe it has something to do with my dad's death. I...

I don't love my fianc? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I have made another huge mistake. Although this time I stayed single for over a year before getting into another relationship. Now I am in a relationship that I don't want. I find myself engaged but I know I can't live with this man for the rest of my life. I struggle to live with him day...

View more questions Search