Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peggyw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 11:05 AM
    Installing thermastat
    Hi. I'm trying to install a programmable thermastat and the directions say to mark the wires before taking them off the old one. They are not marked at all anywhere. I have a red and a white one. Any idea what I should mark them as? Any help would be so appreciated. The electrition I called wants $130.00 to install it for me.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Glad you had the good sense to post here. The red wire, hot from the transformer, goes on R or RH. The white wire to the gas valve or whatever, goes on W or W1. If the new thermostat doesn't have R or W, pick through its instructions and see if it says how the hot and gas valve terminals are marked. Some thermostats need a third wire from the common side of the transformer to a B or C terminal.

If this doesn't do it, post back with details, and I will try again.
    janicemay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Comment on labman's post
    Perfect. Just what I was looking for, a life saver. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c unit outside won't turn on byitself, thermastat? [ 6 Answers ]

My family went on a trip to see relatives in the country. When we came back the a/c had quit. The inside blower motor works, just the outside unit will not turn on. Everything is fairly new, except for the thermastat on the wall, which is one of those old round mercury like switches. I took the...

Installing greenboard around a tub [ 1 Answers ]

When installing greenboard around a tub with an integral "tiling flange," should I install the green board down to the top of the flange or extend it down over the flange to rest directly on the tub edge or shelf? The flange extends 7/8" up from the tub edge (or shelf), is 3/8" thick and is butted...

Installing new os [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, need some advice before I mess things up again... I have two os xp home and pro on same partition, had enough viruses,trojan and worm but thanks to forum I have able to remove most of them. I am also getting error at start up 'secondary disk drive 0 not found' and also cd rom is not listed...

View more questions Search