Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tvlee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 10:02 AM
    My daughter holds USA birth cert though also a Malaysian, is she still a USA citizen?
    My daughter was born in USA 1991 and holds USA birth certificate but brought up in Malaysia since one year old. Is she a USA citizen? If she likes to study in USA, what immigration procedure required?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:25 AM
    As far as I'm aware, she's a citizen if she was born here... just my opinion
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:35 AM
    If she has the birth certificate, I am pretty sure she is a citizen and only needs to get passport in order. As a US citizen, she shouldn't have to deal with immigration.

She may hold dual citizenship.

If that is the case, she may be elligible for financial aide through your country. I don't know the details about that.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tvlee
    My daughter was born in USA 1991 and holds USA birth certificate but brought up in Malaysia since one year old. Is she a USA citizen? If she likes to study in USA, what immigration procedure required?

Yes, she is a citizen no matter where her parents were born (if that is a question) and no matter where she lives. This is part of the Fourteenth Amendment to the US Constitution.

If she wants to study in the US she would obtain the necessary passport - no special Immigration procedure.

The 14th Amendment says: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. "

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift fron non USA citizen and transfer the money to the states [ 6 Answers ]

I am US citizen leaving abroad. My mother sold some property and gave me a gift of 90000 dollars. I want to wire the money to the states and establish a stock Brokerage account and buy USA stocks. My mother is not USA citizen. Do I have any tax obligations for the money I have received?

Dual citizen (USA & Switzerland) traveling to Brazil [ 2 Answers ]

I am travelling to Brazil in a few weeks from the US. I am wondering if I can enter and exit the US on a US passport but use my Swiss passport to enter and exit Brazil. I ask this because Brazil does not require the application for a tourist visa from Swiss citizens, but it does require a visa for...

Usa and indian income for taxes in usa [ 2 Answers ]

Myself and my wife are green card holders .my son,a us citizen gifts us some shares which we sell from time to time and use proceeds for our personal expenses.This totals around $11000 for 2006. In addition myself and my wife have indian income mainly from dividend and interest and also income...

AAAA US Citizen filing papers for spouse with F1 Visa currently living in the USA. [ 1 Answers ]

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to read this. I am a US Citizen and my husband is currently enrolled in a university with F1 visa. I know I have to fill out the following forms: Forms filled out : I 130 ,I 485 , G 325, I 864, I 765, I 131 I also know that I need to...

View more questions Search