Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Taukame Posts: 92, Reputation: 26

Jan 27, 2006, 10:16 AM
    New laptop
    I just purchased a laptop a couple of months ago. I have been using a dialup to connect to the net. I was wondering if I could use my cell phone to connect by just attaching it to my laptop and dialing out?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 27, 2006, 10:35 AM
    SImply put yes, but using your cell for internet connection is VERY slow indeed.
    If you want to do this you'll have to read your phones manual as it will tell you how to setup the connection.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2006, 11:35 AM
    Make
    Quote Originally Posted by Taukame
    I just purchased a laptop a couple of months ago. I have been using a dialup to connect to the net. I was wondering if I could use my cell phone to connect by just attaching it to my laptop and dialing out?

I am sure everyone must have it, but I know cingular offers internet service for your lap top via device that plugs into the computer.
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Jan 27, 2006, 11:04 PM
    I agree with Curlyben. This was an option what some guys were using in our country 5-6 years back and they told me that it was damn slow. I was told that they were connecting with a certain cable which they bought from the computer shop. Things has changed now. I think now a days you should be able to do it Bluetooth or Infrared technology. Check with your mobile phone manual if your phone supports any of those and of course there will be a software coming with your mobile for installation.
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jan 28, 2006, 01:25 AM
    I got free mobile(cell) phone access with my website about a year ago and I wasn't allowed the internet but the webhosting was just like pay as you go and you just put any username and password like 1 and 2 so because I didn't have the internet and wasn't allowed it (I am now though :)) I connected my fone to check my important email and I was online for 52 seconds - the record is on my phone - and it charged me 70p!! I was willing to pay that as I had enough credit but it was REALLY REALLY SLOW! And could be a bit costly in the end

EDIT:Forgot to add: my average speed was 12.1KB p/s
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2006, 07:47 AM
    As others mentioned, it is possible, but not directly. You need a special modem or modem cable to adapt the RJ-11 jack on the laptop to your cell phone. Again, the issue is very slow speeds.

Both Cingular and Verizon have wireless broadband offerings where you use a PCMCIA card to connect to the Net. These services cost upwards of $60/month. They are only available in limited areas.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 29, 2006, 07:10 AM
    I use cell (mobile) phone connection to the internet sometime's its not very good. They have lunched 3G in Europe that plugs into your laptop and sets like broadband speed, but I have been using this the last few months and not over keen, as you can only use in some area's and not other, also if you out of area it use's GPRS and the cost's is out of this world if you use the mbs they give you free.

I do think its away forwards, but they will need to look at cost and speed before this become's as comman as cell phones are now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop battery [ 7 Answers ]

Have a new laptop. Can anyone tell me the proper way to use the battery wisely. Should it be removed while not in use? Run completely down before recharging etc.

Which laptop [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am Claire, I want a laptop for making home movies and I want to know what is the best one to get. I want good graphics, large memory and very portable. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Best Laptop for... [ 3 Answers ]

I use Dragon Speaking Naturally, and need at least 500 MHz. I also have a preference for something light, as I travel/write, and word processing is my main desire. I want something with a screen size around 10 or 11 inches. Sound Blaster (clone) is recommended. A (built-in) CDrw/DVD would be...

Which laptop? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to purchase a laptop, most probably used,but I haven't a clue how to begin knowing which one is best. I've tried a few of my friend's but I am still not sure what to look for. I'm not going to be doing anything fancy, like desktop publishing, but I would like to be able to see DVDs, and...

View more questions Search