Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cuda701 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Minnesota Texas - non resident part resident?
    My daughter went to stay at her sister's in Texas(while she is in Iraq - to help take care of her sister's child) in November 2007. She worked and lived in Minnesota until that time. She has a child and paid for daycare in both states. She maintains her Minnesota voter registration, car registration. She worked for about 5 weeks of 2007 in Texas.

She will probably be coming back to Minnesota when her sister returns from Iraq. How does she file for each state? And... Is there any software that allows her to file each state? Does she have to file in Texas since there is no state income tax? Is there ant credit for daycare in Texas?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 09:21 AM
    I would suggest that your sister consider herself a TX resident as of November. She should file a part-year resident return for MN to cover the period of January-October. There is nothing to file in TX, as they have no income tax. There is no credit for day care in TX, as there is no tax to take a credit against. If she moves back to MN in mid-2008, she will again file a part-year resident return for MN for tax year 2008 to cover her period of residency.

Tax preparation software such as TurboTax can handle this situation quite easily. She will need to purchase the MN state income tax module. I suspect one or more of the professional tax guys on this board may jump in here and tell you that a professional could most likely prepare your sister's taxes for about the same price as TurboTax.
    cuda701 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Thank you. She apparently ran to H & R and they charged her over
    $200, but it's a done deal.

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

North Carolina Non-Resident Vs Part-time resident [ 2 Answers ]

We purchased a second home in North Carolina in July. I stayed a week in NC and went back to my main home in Florida. In September I put our condo in Florida for sale. At the end of September I got a job in NC. I quite my job in Florida and start working in NC end of September. Our condo sold...

Non resident or part time resident of Mass. [ 3 Answers ]

I am in Massachusetts from 23 August till 31 December 2006, as a F1 student , so am I a non resident or a part time resident or both. Please answer me if you have any idea. Thanks

Resident / Part-time resident -L1B [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have L1B Visa valid from 31st March 2006. I arrived in the USA in May end and have been here since then. Marital Status : Single I have a couple of questions: 1) My Status Resident / part time resident ? 2) What is the effect of this status on Tax computation? 3) Do I need to...

Part time resident or dual resident [ 1 Answers ]

In May of 2006, my then fiancée (now wife) and I moved from New Jersey to Pennsylvania. She changed her residency to Pennsylvania, however because of my work in NJ, I continued to maintain my apartment and residency status in NJ. We got married in July and now we are planning to file our federal...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search