Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Feb 27, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Child support , WHO gets to claim the kids on taxes
    Recently my ex got a job after all these years... WOW, I almost fell over dead... LOL

- But enough with that, my question is what kind of rights does she have to claim the kids on her taxes?

- She has never worked for 15 years and somehow lands a small, low pay , part time job and then suddenly wants to collect the tax relief for having to support children. My check is the dominating support. Any opinion on this anyone?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Where do the children live ? If with her and she does not work, how does she pay rent, food and more ?

And most important what does the child support order say, most lists how can or can't file for each year on taxes.
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Feb 28, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    where do the children live ? If with her and she does not work, how does she pay rent, food and more ?

And most important what does the child support order say, most lists how can or can't file for each year on taxes.

She is currently living with her new husbands mom and dad because they were evicted.
    They are trying to build a house somewhere so there going to be there for a while.

Im not happy to know my 15 yr old boy is sharing a room with my 7 yr old daughter either.

I provide the children with more than the goverments standard of living requires.

Either way I'm not giving in until; the courts tell me that I have too. Her court costs and lawyer fees are going to be more than the tax exemptions at least for the first year.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hossbonnam
    Recently my ex got a job after all these years...WOW, I almost fell over dead....LOL

- But enough with that, my question is what kind of rights does she have to claim the kids on her taxes?

- She has never worked for 15 years and somehow lands a small, low pay , part time job and then suddenly wants to collect the tax relief for having to support children. My check is the dominating support. Any opinion on this anyone?

I think the issues are what your divorce decree orders, who pays more than 50% of the child support, if you both claim the children what IRS determines.

And be grateful she's working, no matter how part time, no matter what the rate of pay.
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Feb 28, 2008, 10:08 AM
    If its not addressed in the divorce decree or any other court order, then Typically, it is the custodial parent who is legally able to claim his or her child as a dependent. However, there are some exceptional situations in which a custodial parent will forfeit his or her right to claim the children as dependents by filing a form 8332, Release of Claim to Exemption for Child of Divorced or Separated Parents.

My guess is that she didn't have an income therefore she didn't file claiming the kids. I will tell you that the IRS doesn't care that you have file claiming them in the past, they will kick it all back and demand proof that you are the CP and have the right to claim the kids -- If she claims them on her taxes first. If they ask the same thing of her if you file first, and when she sends them a copy of a court order stating the kids live with her then they will redo your taxes and send you a bill.

You could take her back to court and address this and the support again. If she has a job the amount might change. My ex got $200 a year off his support because I wanted to claim both children on my taxes but he had to fight really hard for that and it cost him way more in lawyers fees than he will ever save.

Maybe if your home life is better for the kids you could fight to have custody changed until she gets back on her feet. It would be in your favor if you have a bedroom for each child and with her they have to share a room. Here, that alone, would change custody. Is that something you can do?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 07:12 AM
    You need to check your court order. It should state in there who gets to claim the chidren. Usually it alternates years... one year the mom gets to claim them, the next year the father gets to claim them etc.

When my daughters father and I had visitation/custody/child support ordered, my attorney drafted everything up and we presented it to the judge. She looked over it and wouldn't sign anything because we had forgot to address taxes. She had us address that and write it into the order before anything was filed.

I would get out your papers and look over them. It should state in there the tax agreement. And if it states in there that the mother claims the children on taxes, you have to follow that (regardless of what has happened in the past)... unless you want to go to court and fight it... which at best it would probably be ordered alternating years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Child support and taxes [ 6 Answers ]

My husband has to pay child support for a baby he just had outside our marriage.He did the dna and the baby is his.The court ordered him to pay back child support in the amount of about $2000.00. They garnish is paycheck for the child support and take out money also for the back child support. My...

How long can I claim my kids on my taxes. [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Georgia and was wondering how ling can I claim my kids on my taxes. Any help would be appreciated.. My sister lives in New York and told me that she can only claim her kids until they are 17. I am hoping that isn't true here in my state. :)

Does new husband's income count in figuring out child support amount of prev. Kids? [ 3 Answers ]

I heard in 2006 it did, but 2007 it does not.

Claim my daughter - child support [ 1 Answers ]

I Want To Carry My Daughter On My Income Tax Return,I Pay Child Support And Is And Allways Current. How Do I Find Out Who Is Carrying Her On Their Taxes? Is There A Website I Can Go To And Check?

Back Child Support /taxes [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: hello i'm a mother of 4 children i have 3 from my 1st marriage all my childern r grown up my problem lies in child support i had to receive food stamps and helth benefits through ill state aid. They have received all there money back from my ex he still owes me 12,000.00 dollars he has...

View more questions Search