Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fligh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 08:49 PM
    Car Accidents
    I would like to know what if anything a person could do if they were involved in a accident 7 or 8 months ago and it was never turned in to insurance. I was involved in an accident where I hit someone else's car... after the accident she told me that she would not turn it in to the insurance if I agreed to pay her for the scratch that was left on the car... I agreed. Because the police were there and a report was made I received a notice to turn in insurance info to the bmv... since I did not have insurance at the time, my license was expired. I gave the girl that I hit money soon after the accident. Now it has been months later and she has been calling and leaving messages on a relatives phone threating to take me to small claims court to collect the money that she feels she is owed... there were no reciepts exchanged when I did give her the money though.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2006, 09:24 PM
    If she takes you to court then, it will all come down to her word vs. yours.

How much did you pay her? $500. Get a copy of your bank account to prove that you withdrew $500 from your bank account 3 days after the accident and tell the Judge that is the only kind of proof you have that you paid her.

If the Judge believes YOU then you will be let off the hook most likely.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2006, 09:40 PM
    Hindsight
    Quote Originally Posted by fligh
    I would like to know what if anything a person could do if they were involved in a accident 7 or 8 months ago and it was never turned in to insurance. I was involved in an accident where I hit someone else's car...after the accident she told me that she would not turn it in to the insurance if I agreed to pay her for the scratch that was left on the car...I agreed. Due to the fact that the police were there and a report was made I recived a notice to turn in insurance info to the bmv...since I did not have insurance at the time, my license was expired. I gave the girl that I hit money soon after the accident. Now it has been months later and she has been calling and leaving messages on a relatives phone threating to take me to small claims court to collect the money that she feels she is owed....there were no reciepts exchanged when I did give her the money though.

First do we understand now why to have insurance.

And what would it had mattered if she would have turned it into her insurance, they would have just asked you to pay, she was trying to cheat you out of money from the very beginning.

Next "no reciepts" sorry but you may well have to pay her again. I would as the other person suggested let her take me to court and try to prove it the best I could that I paid her. The worst that can happen is you have to pay them again and some court costs.

Lessons to be learned:
    Always have insurance or take the bus

Always document, document and document, if you don't have a paper record of it, it never happened
    jawad_babar Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2006, 12:03 AM
    I agree with Chuck's comments.
    Wish you all the best.
    Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accidents in crate [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old Amstaff that I've had for about 1 1/2 months. I am 8 months pregnant and am home all the time. I think my puppy has gotten a little to used to being around me all the time. I want to go back to work after the baby so I decided to buy the dog a crate to start training him to...

Accidents in crate on purpose? [ 2 Answers ]

My Basset/terrier WAS crate trained. I am home most of the day but when I leave it is for ver short periods. In the last couple of weeks he has progressivly gotten worse about pooping and peing in the crate. The first time it happened we excused it as an accident, then a few days later we...

8 month old still has accidents in crate (NEW) [ 6 Answers ]

I saw this thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=6672&highlight=dog+crate And I am a bit disappointed (and concerned) that there was no resolution. I have the same problem with an alternative bullbreed that goes in her cage almost every night. I will try something new...

View more questions Search