Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow's Avatar
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member
     
    #1

    Feb 27, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Are you sick of American Politics?
    I certainly am…but there was a ray of hope yesterday.

    In a weird way, it was the most heartening thing I've seen on the election trail this year. Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, stood up and defended the honor of his potential Democratic rivals, thus distancing himself from one of the men who had just warmed up the Cincinnati crowd for him.
    "I will treat them with respect," McCain said. "We will have a respectful debate."

    OregonLive.com: Everything Oregon
    shygrneyzs's Avatar
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member
     
    #2

    Feb 27, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Yes, I am sick of American politics. I am sick of the smearing, sniping, feeding frenzy of the media, and the list goes on. It is like we somehow cannot expect our candidates to be human - they have to be so perfect with no mistakes ever, no frailities. As if we stand on some pinnacle of righteousness.

    I am not talking about gross errors of judgement or criminal activities or racist remarks or hiding Nazi's in the basement. Why anyone would want to be held under a microscope with the dirt diggers is beyond me.
    BABRAM's Avatar
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145
    Senior Member
     
    #3

    Feb 27, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    "I will treat them with respect," McCain said. "We will have a respectful debate."

    McCain had to after Cunningham was criticized, which is questionable to previous knowledge. More-so though, I suspect if the Clinton's bow out of the race that would clear up much of the sneaky tactics. Politics as usual? How much more of the Clinton's and Bush's can I stomach? I'm way past tired of both clans. Campaign managers over the past thirty years, both major parties, are often to blame for doing their own candidates an injustice. I can't say that I'm fed up with American politics, I'm hopeful. However I'd definitely like to see some politicians from both parties walk the plank for acting is if they represent any of us.
    Dark_crow's Avatar
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member
     
    #4

    Feb 27, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    McCain had to after Cunningham was criticized, which is questionable to previous knowledge. More-so though, I suspect if the Clinton's bow out of the race that would clear up much of the sneaky tactics. Politics as usual?! How much more of the Clinton's and Bush's can I stomach? I'm way past tired of both clans. Campaign managers over the past thirty years, both major parties, are often to blame for doing their own candidates an injustice. I can't say that I'm fed up with American politics, I'm hopeful. However I'd definitely like to see some politicians from both parties walk the plank for acting is if they represent any of us.
    Your first sentence is a bit confusing…it was my understanding McCain said what he said after immediately following Cunningham on stage.

    I believe the talk show Hosts feed into bad politics first and then the News media plays off that. Are we to believe that our elected officials are as cutthroat as it appears, or is it that they are simply a reflection of the status quo?
    BABRAM's Avatar
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145
    Senior Member
     
    #5

    Feb 27, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Your first sentence is a bit confusing…it was my understanding McCain said what he said after immediately following Cunningham on stage.

    According to the Dayton Daily, McCain said he was unaware, suggesting he had to be notified of the situation.

    "I apologize for it,” McCain told reporters, addressing the issue before they had a chance to ask the Arizona senator about Cunningham's comments. “I did not know about these remarks, but I take responsibility for them. I repudiate them,” he said. “My entire campaign I have treated Senator Obama and Senator (Hillary Rodham) Clinton with respect. I will continue to do that throughout this campaign."


    I'm going to check the mail and then take a nap, it's my day off. There something more to the story on how Cunningham is treating the fallout, so I'm going to tune into the news later for an update. Perhaps the talking head has now decided not to back McCain. Some may say it's like a dog and pony show for the effect. I personally know McCain on a business level, and for the most part I think he's on the up and up. Although I do question his economic ability to help this nation. In fact one of the reasons I will not support his candidacy. In the finality maybe Cunningham's mouth unbridled is the culprit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    I believe the talk show Hosts feed into bad politics first and then the News media plays off that.
    Talk show hosts are commentators, not to be confused with the actual raw news.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Are we to believe that our elected officials are as cutthroat as it appears, or is it that they are simply a reflection of the status quo?
    I think we need to be careful and not paint with a broad brush, but there are individuals that lend to false expectations. Fact is that most of the working middle class does not see themselves as being properly represented in Washington.
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,100, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member
     
    #6

    Feb 27, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Sick of American politics? No way. Sick of mainstream, biased journalism? Yes. Sick of "We hold these thruths to be self evident.....?" Never. The Revolution continues.
    Dark_crow's Avatar
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member
     
    #7

    Feb 27, 2008, 04:15 PM
    All politicians continue to promise lower taxes, more social programs, and a balanced budget.

    Election promises differ in different government systems. In the Westminster System where almost all power resides in the office of the Prime Minister voters know where to ascribe blame for broken promises. In presidential systems such as that in the United States where power is more diffuse and ultimate responsibility harder to pin down, it is harder for an electorate to punish politicians for broken promises. For instance in the United States a presidential candidate can freely make promises of an impractically large tax cut in the firm confidence that the Senate will reduce it to a manageable level.

    Election promise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Choux's Avatar
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member
     
    #8

    Feb 27, 2008, 04:32 PM
    I'm just getting warmed up... this is the most interesting election in decades!

    I was very pleased to see McSame put down that right wing riff raff from the Republican Noise and Abuse Propaganda Machine that was trying to cause fear in the ignorant by constantly repeating Obama's middle name, Hussein. That was an honorable act... the 100 years of war he promises, not so honorable.

    The election for the Republicans hangs on convincing American citizens that *Endless War* in Iraq is a good thing. That with a deep recession looming on the home front.

    Oh, Thanks Wall Street, you greedy *_______for packaging high risk mortgage securities!(sarcasm) whose parameters have exacerbated the collapse in the housing market.
    Dark_crow's Avatar
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member
     
    #9

    Feb 27, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Hay Choux…I’d bet you get your wish:) … Obama, unless something weird happens. I’ve never seen the Democrats so pumped up and they will be hitting the ballot boxes in record numbers. That alone would do it but when you add the low number of Republicans who will turn out…it isn’t even going to be a close race.

    Anyway, it’s over and I’ve lost interest now. Yeah, I thought that was a good move on McCains part.
    Choux's Avatar
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member
     
    #10

    Feb 27, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Yeah, condemn knowing the Republican Noise and Slime Machine will do his dirty work for him!

    I agree with you... it's probable over... :)
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,100, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member
     
    #11

    Feb 27, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    All politicians continue to promise lower taxes, more social programs, and a balanced budget.

    Election promises differ in different government systems. In the Westminster System where almost all power resides in the office of the Prime Minister voters know where to ascribe blame for broken promises. In presidential systems such as that in the United States where power is more diffuse and ultimate responsibility harder to pin down, it is harder for an electorate to punish politicians for broken promises. For instance in the United States a presidential candidate can freely make promises of an impractically large tax cut in the firm confidence that the Senate will reduce it to a manageable level.

    Election promise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You need to check in with planet Earth once in a while.
    tomder55's Avatar
    tomder55 Posts: 1,738, Reputation: 340
    Ultra Member
     
    #12

    Feb 28, 2008, 04:00 AM
    When push comes to shove in September we will see if the Democrat nominee shows reciprocal respect.
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,100, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member
     
    #13

    Feb 28, 2008, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    All politicians continue to promise lower taxes, more social programs, and a balanced budget.
    Who is frangipanis?

    All politicians do not continue to promise lower taxes; one party, the Democrat Party, is pledged and hell-bent to raise taxes. If there were any credibility to this assertion, the Democrat Party would assist the GOP in passing the line-item veto, and that is not going to happen.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member
     
    #14

    Feb 28, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Tired of politics? I certainly am…but there was a ray of hope yesterday..... In a weird way, it was the most heartening thing I've seen on the election trail this year. Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, stood up and defended the honor of his potential Democratic rivals,
    Hello DC:

    Nahh. I like it. It's what I DO. What? You think I'm on this board to improve my typing skills?? I'm here to effect change!

    By the way, not surprisingly, I saw the thing the other night exactly the opposite from you. Whoda thunk that? I saw McCain playing the good cop, while his bad cop kept calling Obama, Hussein.

    If it doesn't happen again, I'll apologize to you. But, it's going to happen again - and it's going to be worse - MUCH WORSE. You think this country is going to take the high road when a black man is about to be elected president?? I don't think so at ALL.

    As usual, you haven't been paying attention.

    excon
    Dark_crow's Avatar
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member
     
    #15

    Feb 28, 2008, 09:46 AM
    excon

    All right... I tucked it away and we will wait.:p
    tokindaddy's Avatar
    tokindaddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #16

    Jun 29, 2011, 05:05 PM
    Did anyone see Jon Stewart do his imitation of Cain? Do you consider that racist?
    tokindaddy's Avatar
    tokindaddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #17

    Jun 29, 2011, 05:10 PM
    Didn't realize the last post was 2/2008. Excon probably back in by now,lol.
    paraclete's Avatar
    paraclete Posts: 2,704, Reputation: 171
    Ultra Member
     
    #18

    Jun 29, 2011, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow View Post
    I certainly am…but there was a ray of hope yesterday.

    In a weird way, it was the most heartening thing I've seen on the election trail this year. Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, stood up and defended the honor of his potential Democratic rivals, thus distancing himself from one of the men who had just warmed up the Cincinnati crowd for him.
    "I will treat them with respect," McCain said. "We will have a respectful debate."

    OregonLive.com: Everything Oregon
    Apparently this is an old thread, Mc Cain gives it away, but the question certainly is a no brainer which can be asked again and again
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member
     
    #19

    Jun 29, 2011, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tokindaddy View Post
    Excon probably back in by now,lol.
    Hello tokindude:

    In & back out. The post is really old.

    excon
    tomder55's Avatar
    tomder55 Posts: 1,738, Reputation: 340
    Ultra Member
     
    #20

    Jun 29, 2011, 07:20 PM

    I saw Stewart's impression of Cain. I thought it was funny . Cain thought it was funny too .

    I agree with Cain... it's not that he's black... Stewart isn't racist... Stewart doesn't like a conservative black. Cain and Clarence Thomas don't fit into the liberal world view of what blacks should be.

    However ,it's valid to point out the hypocrisy. Had it been a conservative using an 'Amos and Andy' voice about President Obama then the outrage would've gone viral. I suspect Stewart would've gotten greater heat if he had used the voice for an Obama segment instead of Cain . In fact ;
    I'm sure such a move would've ended with Stewart being unemployed .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Politics [ 3 Answers ]

Why and when did the Democratic states change from red to blue?

How do American Politics differ relative to moral principles of the you.S. Armed forces [ 10 Answers ]

What are the guiding moral principles of the U.S. armed forces? How do they differ from our civilian culture, which focuses on the individual flourishing and material self-interest?

Free Trade in American Politics. [ 23 Answers ]

Free Trade has been a part of American Politics since its inception, and especially since Truman. Today Alan Blinder, a professor at Princeton University and a former deputy chairman of the US Federal Reserve Bank has his doubts; as does at least one Candidate for Presidency…Hillary Clinton. ...

Sick American Bulldog [ 4 Answers ]

What Should I Do My Dog Has Blood In Stool ,vomiting,weak,hot,&wont Eat Or Drink??


View more questions Search