Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Sex education course
    1. Should there be sex education in schools?

2. How early should some kind of formal sex education in schools begin?

3. What would constitute a well-run, well-written sex education course--a course that would include good teaching, on-target subject matter, and student involvement? Or something else?
    chvara Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Look at the website goaskalice.com
    This is a university website that college students look for answers to their sexual health questions. The questions asked are from various age groups, not just college age. It seems the younger the better as to education. You can benefit a lot by looking at this site.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Yes, public schools should have sex education classes,

Since there is sex starting even before Jr High, I would say at least Jr high
    *7th grade where I am at.

Both prevention but also advice on not having sex as a option. What causes it, and the truth that all methods are not 100 percent effective.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Love it, start it. I'm behind you one hundred and 25 percent. This is the kind of thing that kids need. Great idea!
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Feb 27, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Personally, I believe that schools should have sex education. I think around middle school is a good time to start. I think that a good sex ed program would discuss pregnancy, STD's, healthy relationships, and protection. I think that abstinence should be brought up as one option, but I also think that kids should know how to protect themselves. And Fr_ Chuck is right, they should know that protection isn't always 100%. They need to have someone explain that there is responsibility that goes along with having sex.

I'm always amazed by how many people in their 20s like me don't know the most basic stuff about sex. Like they think they never need to have a women's (or men's) health exam, or they think no one has ever gotten pregnant on birth control. I can understand that some people don't want the school teaching their kids about sex, and I respect their viewpoint. When I was in high school, if your parents didn't want you in sex ed, you just were given another assignment during that week or two. I think that is a good solution for those who don't want their kids learning about it in school. But I do think it's important for kids to learn the facts, especially since now we're hearing about younger and younger kids being sexually active. If they are going to be active no matter what, they might as well know how to help protect themselves.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2008, 12:54 PM
    I am for sex education in school and hopefully parents will not use that as a reason to not do their part in teaching family values and reinforcement. The truth needs to be taught. One can see from the Help Desk that are far too many uneducated young people out there taking huge risks with their sexual health and life long consequences.

But I wonder if Middle School is already too late.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 01:07 PM
    I'm an advocate of starting early; kindergarten or first grade. Now, what should be taught to those kids should be information about "good touch" and "bad touch" and basic biology (names of body parts, etc). Even talking about relationships, families, communities, being nice to others, etc would be acceptable.

As kids get older (3rd and 4th grade) they should learn about puberty, the changes that occur in their bodies, and how babies are made. I think a mention of birth control should be made, but it should be prefaced with "when you are an adult" and how abstinence is the best option until you are an adult.

Since kids (apparently) are getting pregnant in middle school, I think this is where we should start real sex ed. Focus on what sex is, the consequences of sex; pregnancy, disease, ruined relationships, etc. I think a LOT of focus should be on these items, and abstinence should be emphasized. Birth control options should be mentioned, but again, the focus should be on waiting until you are an adult.

In high school the plan for middle school would be expanded; more focus on how having sex can cause problems. What life as a parent is really like (the Baby-Think-It-Over dolls should be in every school and circulated through the class), what pregnancy is like (let's face it, it's pretty gross. You tell girls about mucus plugs and pooping on the table during labor and you'll scare more than a few!). Focus on how demanding infants are, how expensive they are, and how that cost changes year by year. Don't tell kids a baby is an 18-year commitment; it's a life-long commitment! Focus a lot of disease, how they can harm your reproductive system, and your future love life. Emphasize that while birth control (pill, condom) is good, it's not perfect. It doesn't protect you from everything, and tell them actual failure rates. Focus on abstinence, but be real; some of these kids will have sex. Make sure they are well informed if they have sex as a teen, but also when they have sex as an adult. There's a chart on the web too (I'll look for it) where students were polled about their sexual partners and everyone was put on this chart as a blue dot or pink dot, and connected with a line with whom they had sex. It gives a great visual of how if you sleep with someone who has slept with someone, who has slept with someone, you're all at risk if someone has a disease.

I think it's important teens are educated about how to make the right choices; we don't want the teen pregnancy rate to turn into the single-20-year-old pregnancy rate!
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Here's a link to the map I mentioned.

image_view — JSCMS

Also, I didn't mention it in my post, but the importance of going to the doctor regarding your sexual health should also be stressed to teens, especially to the girls. A lot of girls are scared of going to the gyno; if they know what to expect, they might be less frightened.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Feb 27, 2008, 04:59 PM
    That's a really good point. I know lots of people my age in their 20s who have never gone or just went for the first time because they were afraid to, or didn't know how important it is.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 04:50 PM
    My problem with the whole thing is that they want to teach kids about sex and leave them under the impression that it is nothing more emotionally than dogs jumping from dog to dog.
    They need to teach responsibility, attitudes and valuing of a relationship. How to make a relationship work, etc...
    I see so many guys that no matter how great their girlfriend is they call her the slut, the B, the C
    The whatever derogatory terms they can think of.
    Then girls want a baby by the time they are 13 or 14 and by 16 they have their mother as full time mom because they lose interest. Many girls I know are pregnant with their 3rd or 4th baby, all different daddys by the time they are 21 and the kids are all farmed out to relatives and foster homes and they never get to grow up as real brothers and sisters should.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 04:13 PM
    As most of you know there are no little Allhearts that grace this earth,

The ONLY way I would want the school system teaching our children anything about sex is if they informed the parents first of what they were going to tell the children.

Let the parents decide if they want their child to be exposed to what is being taught.

There is now way I would want the school system giving my child a condom, as I heard was being done at some schools. That they were handing out condoms.

If I had children, to be quite honest, I want the schools to teach Math, Science, Religon and all those other subjects, but sex education for my child would be taught at home.

I would not want to entrust the shaping of my child, in this area, in the school systems hands.

Unless I was informed prior to, then I don't want my child exposed to what the school system thinks my child should be aware of as far as sex education goes.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 04:34 PM
    I agree with that, Allheart. Parents should have the right to pull their kid out of sex education in school at any point in time. People have different opinions about what is right or moral, and they should have the final say in what is taught to their children. As far as I know, parents do have the right to opt their kid out of the programs that are in schools now, but I don't know how much info is provided to the parents as to what the curriculum entails.

I don't think it would be difficult to send home information two weeks before telling parents what will be discussed in sex ed for each grade. If parents aren't comfortable with the topic, they can have their kid sit out.

I have to disagree with you about the condoms in school though... Lots of kids are having sex, and if they are going to do it, I'd rather them have access to protection than not. Providing them free at school means there are no financial burdens, no risk of running into your neighbor, etc. And yes, if you aren't mature enough to buy condoms you shouldn't be having sex, but try telling that to horny teens! :D I'm just not of the opinion that providing kids with contraceptives gives them the green light to have sex; I think the way they were raised, their morals and their self-worth would (or should) override any of that.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    People have different opinions about what is right or moral, and they should have the final say in what is taught to their children. As far as I know, parents do have the right to opt their kid out of the programs that are in schools now, but I don't know how much info is provided to the parents as to what the curriculum entails.
    Precisely and the problems are
    A. If you say morals/values you are the one out of place. They teach the kids that anything goes. Morals are religious and
    politically incorrect.
    B. They do not tell you they are teaching kids by 6th grade to put condoms on produce.
    They do not tell you they have the right to take your daughter for an abortion without you even knowing she was pregnant. They do not tell you they are passing out condoms when they are 15 or 13. By the time you MIGHT find out it is already done.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 04:41 PM
    I hear you Jill I really do.

But my son, will get the condoms from me... not from the schools. I would be sooooo not happy having the schools giving out the condoms.

Notice I said son... :)... I think boys hormones are well advanced of girls. My daughter would get a good talking to. An open honest disicussion and I would determine what to do with my daughter based on that chat.

My hubby would give my son the condoms - I would tell him, You better treat her with respect and do not use her!!

My daughter, I would implore her to have self respect and only share her body with someone who is worthy. I would want her not to have sex at all until she is well older and hope to and pray she would listen to me, but I would make sure she was protected, heart, body and soul.

I just think there is a difference between girls and boys at this young age. Boys need to sow their oats, girls really don't have those raging hormones like the boys but I would have a good handle on both of them.

And YES I would snoop, your darn right I would. :)
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 04:53 PM
    that is what I mean self respect, personal responsibility, values, etc... not taught!
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Alheart I see where you are coming from, and I'm sure most parents would prefer their kids come to them for condoms than sneak around behind their backs. Certainly I recognize that schools distributing condoms allows kids to be more deceptive, but I still think it's a good idea. It wasn't that long ago that I was a teen - and I know what choices I made (not the smartest... ) and the choices my friends often made (not the smartest). At least with availability there's the increased chance teens will use them...

And you do all the snooping you want! I'll probably be right there next to you! :D
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 05:05 PM
    LOL - My son wouldn't have to ask... I would give them to him with a HUGE talking to.

I just don't have faith in the school system mirroring my values or what I would want my child to know.

Meet me at 9pm and let the snooping begin :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Oh believe me, I agree. I don't trust the schools to mirror my own values either. I think it's almost impossible, really! I just worry about the kids who get no truthful information and how they are going to make it. And I'm not talking about religious kids who just get told "Don't do it, or you go to hell!" I mean the kids who have uninvolved parents, the ones who hear the old wives tales and think they are truth (like not being able to get pregnant the first time) and end up being taken advantage of. With sex ed those kids at least stand a chance!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 09:37 PM
    I worry about the kids who don't have loving caring parents to talk to about sex and birth control. I am doing the best I can to educate my two kids, they will be taught about sex, birth control, love, respect, the whole nine yards, but what about the other kids out there.

I hope that the majority of teens have good parents that do talk to them about the consequences of sex and the necessity of birth control, I also hope that these parents are teaching these kids values, but what about the other kids? What about the child whose mother was very young, lived on welfare, did the best she could but wasn't and still isn't ready to be a mother? What about the kids of drug abusers etc. There are kids out there that don't have anyone, it's up to us to provide them with the information that they need to survive in this world.

Sex doesn't just cause pregnancy anymore, it can kill you.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2008, 10:54 PM
    Sex education should be introduced in middle school (6th or 7th grade). While abstinence should always be encouraged, I believe it is entirely necessary to teach students how to be safe if they do make the choice to engage in sex. They need to learn about condoms, hormonal because, foams, etc. clear up the myths, i.e. peeing right after sex does not mean you won't get pregnant. They need to learn about std's but don't teach it in a "this is what will happen if you ever have sex before marriage!!" scary way that too many adults try to. And if you've ever looked at the women's helth board I'm sure you'll agree girls especially need to know when they might be pregnant and when to worry about their period being a day late. I never got to do it but I think the computerized babies are great too. My class also watched a video of a woman giving birth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend doesn't want sex / low sex drive [ 30 Answers ]

Hi all, New member here and a bit nervous, but getting some answers anonymously might help to put my mind at east. As you maybe guessed from the title, I'm having a problem with my relationship; specifically the sex part. My girlfriend is 20 and I am 27, and have been in a serious...

Abstinence Only Sex Education [ 84 Answers ]

Hello: Today, my state turned down $800,000 of federal money to fund Bush's abstinence only sex education program. My state wanted to add medically correct information to the presentations, but the feds wouldn't agree. Are the people in my state served better with abstinence only sex...

My date speaks outloud over sex his sex fantasies of three-way sex [ 5 Answers ]

Hello there, I have been dating this guy not for long time now. From the beginning while we were having sex he mentioned his sexual fantasies to me. He wanted to have another women joining us. I asked me why not him with two other women not me being involved. Anyhow, a few days ago he mentioned...

Education [ 1 Answers ]

What r the qualities for a teacher

View more questions Search