Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    R1racer22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Per diem?
    I work construction and the per diem rates in the last year or so have jumped way up. Which is good for me but then how do I deal with the large amount that I earn that way. Like I receive per diem at a rate of $100 for everyday of the week. Am I required to claim that and pay taxes on it and is there a time limit on it. Like I have been told that if I stay on a job for more than a year straight that the per diem is taxed at a 40% rate no matter what after the year mark. Is that true, cause I can't find anything that will tell me any of this anywhere. Please fill me in someone, thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Per diem is taxed at your current tax rate, be it 10%, 15%, 25%, 28% or whatever. The 40% rate quoted is a bit high.

Yes, it IS taxable, but if you meet the criteria for the job being temporary in nature, you can offset the tax by claiming temporary job expenses as an itemized deduction using Form 2106 and Schedule A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Per Diem in CA [ 8 Answers ]

I have received a daily per diem from a company I work for in San Francisco. I have now been in CA for a year, but still travel home for a week every month. The company has now taken my Per Diem saying that the new CA law states that after a year of subsistence it can be taxed. I have looked for...

Per diem [ 2 Answers ]

Can per diem be paid to employees who commute 40 miles or more to work, but do not stay away from home overnight? If so is this non taxable and if so, are receipts required? Or is the amount paid all taxable

Per Diem [ 1 Answers ]

As an employer, we pay per diem. I know I do not report it on their 1099's, but where would I claim it on our company tax return?

View more questions Search