Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmclain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Which table to create main form
    I have created the following tables per a response from Scottgem at to another user asking about creating a Access Database for a survey. My database has 26 questions with answers range being not very true to verry true with a couple simple yes no answers.

Where I am stumped is how to display this survey in a form for entering all of the information. Date completed, the couselor id, the group id and the questions. The questions are area based. Ie some questions deal with the couselor, others with the group interaction, and finally with the overall program.

The a volunteer enters the information from a paper form, and I would like to mimic the paper as close as possible, and still collect the information. Report wise I need to get averages for responses by Group, Counselor, and Program. A date range would be nice as well.
    Attached Images

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Ok Your structure is off here. I'm not sure what you want. The questions table contains the questions. The responses table either contains the actual response to the survey or info about who was responding any when. The answers table contains either the correct answers or the responses. Its just not clear which way you are going.
    kmclain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Ok, I see what you mean.

I want to enter information from a paper survey dealing with client satisfaction.

My structure was trying to build off the advise you gave in a previous question, answer.

I need to create reports that show how well a counselor, the group, and overal program are rated. I need one Form to capture this data.

The data captured in paper form is competition date, the couselor's name and the group ID. Clients answer 26 questions, rating on a scale of 1 - 4 or yes/no. The last four questions have a comment box.

I am asking for advise on how to structure this database for a survey. i.e. a table for questions? A table for?? I have done several database's in the past, including complicated VBA coding, but I have never done a survey. I have not done surveys.

Thank-you for responding to the previous questions so quickly.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Ok, You need at least four tables here:
    TblQuestions
    QuestionID (PK Autonumber)
    Question

TblRespondents
    RespondentID
    FName
    LName
    etc.

TblResponses
    ResponseID (PK Autonumber)
    RespondentID (FK)
    ResponseDate

TblAnswers
    AnswerID (PK Autonumber)
    ResponseID (FK)
    QuestionID (FK)
    Answer

TblRespondents contains info about the person responding to the survey. TblResponses contains info about the Response to the survey, the Respondent, date, etc. tblAnswers contains the answers given for each question in the specfied response.

You would have a main form bound to tblResponse and the subform bound to tblAnswers. Against you can pre append a record for each question with the ResponseID as a FK or you can add them as you go along. You would then enter the answers in a subform.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I create records with OLE objects in Access & append to a linked SQLServer table? [ 2 Answers ]

There's a table in our SQL Server Database that stores various notes. There are text fields for the type of notation ( i.e. C = Customer, V=Vendor notes etc) and one for the "Owner_ID" (ie the Customer ID or Vendor ID). There's a date field for the create date of the note and the notes themselves...

Load Center Main Lug or Main Breaker for the Attic [ 5 Answers ]

I have a large attic (on 3rd floor), 38'x28', which is unfinished space. The 2nd floor central air-condition is located there and used to be fed by a 60 feet of 12/3 cable (I changed the cable to 10/3 to reduce the chance of voltage drop) and it's fed by a dual 15A breaker (240v breaker) in the...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

Can I convert a main breaker Cutler Hammer loadcenter to main lug? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if Cutler Hammer made a part to convert a main breaker load center (CH) style, to a main lug panel. If so, does anyone know the part number or can you refer me to a location where I could find it? Cutler Hammer's website is not too user friendly. Thanks

How do I create a web form on my site? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a Mac user and I created a site for our school using iWeb. I would like to create web forms in which prospective parents can complete and submit their application and registration completely online. What software/program(s) do I need to do this? Once I've created the form, what do I...

View more questions Search