Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Adiutorig Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 01:05 PM
    How to feed my 6 month old?
    Right now I'm feeding my baby 32 oz. a day of formula and oatmeal cereal one time every night before she goes to bed. Today, was the first time that I tried 1st stage foods, carrots. She was so disgusted. I didn't want to force it so I stop after the 4th try. My pediatrian said to try one flavor at a time for about a week. Should I keep trying the carrots? Maybe she will get used to them. I just don't feel like I'm feeding her enough compared to other parents.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 01:12 PM
    You are doing good, but it is suggested to start with yellow foods, corn, etc... It takes approximately 12 - 15 attempts at some new foods before baby gets accustomed to the taste and will accept the food. Also, this was your first attempt at anything besides formula or cereal, so sure, that taste is going to be strange to her.

You Ped is right in suggesting one food a week. This is so that you will be able to detect food allergies should she have any. Keep the fruits for later, after the veggies and meats, as they are sweet and baby will prefer fruits over veggies and meats. Studies have shown that introducing fruits first can cause a child to be a picky eater when they are older.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    You are doing good, but it is suggested to start with yellow foods, corn, etc.....It takes approximately 12 - 15 attempts at some new foods before baby gets accustomed to the taste and will accept the food. Also, this was your first attempt at anything besides formula or cereal, so sure, that taste is gonna be strange to her.

You Ped is right in suggesting one food a week. This is so that you will be able to detect food allergies should she have any. Keep the fruits for later, after the veggies and meats, as they are sweet and baby will prefer fruits over veggies and meats. Studies have shown that introducing fruits first can cause a child to be a picky eater when they are older.
    Great answer and so true. I wish I had someone to ask when my son was a baby. I gave him fruit because it tasted better and I just wanted him to eat, besides, I thought, fruit is good for you. Well to this day I have to force him to eat his veggies (he's 9 1/2 years old). I did however wise up with my daughter and started her on veggies, she still loves them, raw, cooked, it doesn't matter, she's a veggie nut.

Do try the yellow, my daughter loved the creamed corn.
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Feb 27, 2008, 12:16 AM
    A commonly recommended first food is sweet potatoes. My kids loved them.

Have you tried mixing some of the carrots into the cereal? That may help her get used to the different flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    it is suggested to start with yellow foods, corn, etc. . . Studies have shown that introducing fruits first can cause a child to be a picky eater when they are older.
    There are differing opinions about baby's sweet tooth. Corn can be sweet so some people recommend starting with green veggies. Other people say that babies are born with a sweet tooth because they are primed for breast milk, which is also sweet.

Definitely let baby be your guide about how much to feed her. She knows how much she wants and she is still young so you have plenty of time to build up the variety in her diet.

Try putting a little of the food on her tray and letting her play with it herself. My second son went through a "not interested in solids" phase around 7 months until I let him have some control. I let him feed himself with his fist and play with the spoon.

He also loved chomping frozen food cubes through a mesh-bag feeder. These look like a mesh popsicle and can be found with the dishes and utensils in most baby departments.
    Adiutorig Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 04:33 PM
    My daughter loves carrots now. She cried when I had none left. I don't know why I freaked out over it. I should stop being a nervous mom. But I'm sure I will be asking plenty more questions throughout her childhood. Thanks for all of your guys advice.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Adiutorig
    My daughter loves carrots now. She cried when I had none left. I don't know why I freaked out over it. I should stop being a nervous mom. But I'm sure I will be asking plenty more questions throughout her childhood. Thanks for all of your guys advice.

Glad to hear she has started to enjoy them. Rest assured she is getting what she needs from the formula. It will be her main source of nutrition for the first year, with the solids more as a compliment. Over the next several months you will likely start to see a bit more solid intake and a bit less milk intake... it's a gradual process. If you offer the milk first for now, and a bit of solids after to allow her to get used to the taste and texture, you will know she is getting the nutrients she should.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much should I feed my 6 month old baby girl? [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know if my baby girl is eating good. This is what she eats : 8-9 6ounze bottles of powder milk 2 3ounze plates of rice cereal 2- cans of fruit (gerber) Some of my food as well like rice, banana, bread ,soup What do you think!!

What can I feed my 9 month old daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if I can give my 9 month old regular vitamin d milk instead of formula?

Can I feed my 3 month old cow's milk? [ 25 Answers ]

Have a 3 month old and am wondering if I can give him any type of cow's milk, whether it be whole, 2%, etc. I know its not RECOMMENDED, but am wondering what will happen. Thank you.

How much should I feed my 5 month old Lab? [ 1 Answers ]

I feed my 5 month old Lab 2 cups of food each morning, and night. Is that the correct amount? Thanks

View more questions Search