Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hajt70 Posts: 55, Reputation: 3

Feb 26, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Be Roommate After Divorce.
    My soon to be ex wife and I are getting a divorce. We have two kids and we love them very much, but we think it is best for all of us that we just be friends.

I know this is not normal but we agree the to following:

1- Everything we own will be split fairly.
    2- She wants to stay in the house (will be mine when the divorce is final) until she can get her own place. This could take as long as two years. All the expenses will be divided evenly during this time except the mortgage.
    3- The kids will stay with the single parent if one of us remarry. If I remarry the kids will stay with her. Some sort of support will have to be paid. We have not come up with the number yet. Any ideas?
    4- If the kids go to college, I will pay 50% and she will pay 50%.

What do you think? Is there anything we miss? Do I see the lawyer to put these on paper? What about the roommate thing?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2008, 09:54 AM
    If you can make it work, go for it.

As for support, that depends on your respective incomes.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 12:41 PM
    If you cannot make it as a married couple, what makes you think a roommate arrangement will work? There will still be the same problems, now there will be no sex.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 01:15 PM
    You need provisions to evict her if she does not pay her share of the expenses. I doubt it will work, but what the heck give it a try.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 07:19 PM
    It sounds too good to be true. Is this all on paper and signed and witnessed? From what you have written, it sounds so logical and calm. Sometimes people make better friends than they do spouses. I truly hope that is this the case for you and your wife and children.

Feb 27, 2008, 07:09 AM
    I do not like the roommate idea, but it will help us taking care of the kids. Plus, I want to keep the kids in the same school. Because of our work schedule, we do not see each other much anyway.

She seems happy since our verbal agreement (not put on paper yet). Believe me, she got a good deal. I do not want to go in details. I just want her to be happy. When she is happy, the kids are happy and that makes me happy.

Anything else that I should consider putting on paper?

Thank you
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
    I find it amazing you can make this work, and hope your both happier, now than before, as that's what counts.What about sex, is that in writing, can you date?

Feb 29, 2008, 04:02 PM
    It is still early, so I do not know if this will work but I am willing to give it a try for the kids sake.
    No, sex is not in writing.
    We can date and do whatever we want to do but we are not allow to bring it home.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Geesh! If you can make it work, all the more power to you! You sound very level headed and considerate of others just don't forget that YOUR happiness counts too!
    One question... what happens if you both should decide to remarry? Where do the kids go then?
    P.S. Make sure you have EVERYTHING in writing and signed by both of you in front of a witness (preferably someone who is impartial like your clergyman, lawyer, etc.)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 06:20 PM
    I have heard of people divoricing and living together. According to your last post it I'll be surprised if she doesn't still treat you the same. Also if there is a lot of tension the kids will sense it. Like in your last post go camping/fishing Cooks Forest, Tionesta and the Allegheny Mts are suppose to be really nice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate Problems: How to Deal with crazy Roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I have a roommate who is 52 years old (Japanese/American bon in US). He was pretty good roommate from Aug 2001, just because he never lived in apt until end of July, I think. He was living with his girlfriend whole time but he came back once a while but he never stayed no longer than 1 week....

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

Roommate vs. Roommate evicitions ? [ 13 Answers ]

I am on a lease to rent a room. I found another person to rent the other room. I have lived at this house for 3 years. He has lived here for two months. I want him out because he is a nuisance. My rights as a tenant does not specifically state me as a Principle Tenant, but I've been here the...

View more questions Search