Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kira808 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 12:47 AM
    Obtaining us passport for green card holder
    I've search and haven't found anything.
    I'm a non us citizen but a green card holder, how do I obtain a us passport besides becoming a us citizen. Going to travel to japan soon and I won't have enough time 2 become a us citizen. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 02:27 PM
    You cant, only citizens are issued passports. You can re-enter the US on your green card.
    kira808 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    So how can I travel aboard if I can't get a passport
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 01:23 PM
    When you travel you are asked your country of citizenship when entering another country. You are not a US citizen so you can claim that you are. When you enter another country you still have to delcare the country of your birth as country of citizenship. You should have a passport from the country where you were born, this passport is supposed to have your US Visa in it and should be used to travel.

Once you become an American citizen you can obtain a US passport.
    badrr Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 4, 2010, 06:43 PM
    I want to ask if there now any kind of permanent passport for green card holder because I heard a lot of green card holder that they got this passport so any help?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 4, 2010, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by badrr View Post
    i want to ask if there now any kind of permanent passport for green card holder because i heard alot of green card holder that they got this passport so any help?
    Do not trust unreliable sources...

As a green card holder, you must hold your original passport issued from your home country. If it expires, contact the nearest consulate for renewal.

When you enter US, you need to submit passport and green card.

You can apply for US passport after you become naturalized and received Certificate of Naturalization.
    Nkhadka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 01:25 PM
    I am a green card holder. I came to Untied States 2 yrs ago. I came here as a refugee status and I don't have Passport now. We came with legal papers. So, I am just wondering how can I travel out of U.S.
    tattybez80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 1, 2010, 06:29 PM
    Pick the place you want to go, contact a travel agency and they will get the travel passport for you... Or go to immigration office and request a travel passport there, it will take longer but cheaper than in any travel agency.
    momyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Feb 27, 2012, 06:37 AM
    I have green card when i could apply for usa passport
    I am staying in usa since 42 month when i enable to apply for usa passport
    Please any body help me ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2012, 11:23 AM
    momyn... YOU are NOT a US citizen.. you CAN NOT get a US passport. You get a passport from the country you ARE a citizen of.
    boblugy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 12:58 PM
    Dose green card holders get an american traveling documents something like a passport?
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2012, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boblugy View Post
    dose green card holders get an american traveling documents some thing like a passport?
    No you are required to maintain your home countrys passport for traveling abroad... you are NOT a US citizen until you are naturalized and you won't get a US passport until then. Your green card will let you come back in without a VISA as it shows you are legally residing here on a path to citizenship.
    daikirai Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

May 17, 2012, 08:12 AM
    You can get a passport even though you are not a US citizen. You need to file a Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. You can get the application on http://www.uscis.gov
    Uber Member

May 17, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by daikirai View Post
    You can get a passport even though you are not a US citizen. You need to file a Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. You can get the application on http://www.uscis.gov
    Really.. exactly WHERE do you get that FALSE information from anyway??

.. A Passport is proof of Citizenship... you do not and CAN NOTget a US passport... as a green card holder... you can not get a passport until AFTER you become a US Citizen.

And besides that document form I-131 you commented on has nothing to do with a passport... its a travel document... if you had bothered to read it you would have known.
    daikirai Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

May 20, 2012, 05:27 AM
    I haven't gotten any false information from anywhere. My parents were able to obtain passports without being US citizen but it only last a year.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by daikirai View Post
    I haven't gotten any false information from anywhere. My parents were able to obtain passports without being US citizen but it only last a year.
    Yes you did give false information... a Passport is proof of citizenship... THATS the function they serve. You DON'T get a passport of ANY country without being a citizen UNLESS you commit fraud to get it... and that is a crime that can land you in prison.

A green card holder is NOT a citizen of this country... you do NOT become a citizen of this country until AFTER the naturalization ceremony... AFTER that you are a citizen and can apply for a passport, not before... but at that time you are no longer a green card holder.

And passports do not last only a year.. they NEVER have..

You clearly have your information confused with some other document.
    akmeme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2012, 01:34 AM
    If you are a green card holder, and don't have your country of origin passport, apply for a travel document (I-131). That will allow you to travel to other countries (in lieu of passport but NOT exactly a passport). It's a booklet that resembles a passport and has "VISA" pages where upon entry to other countries, they stamp it (just like passport). That's how my mom (green card holder) and my sister (us citizen) travel together.
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2012, 03:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by akmeme View Post
    If you are a green card holder, and don't have your country of origin passport, apply for a travel document (i-131). That will allow you to travel to other countries (in lieu of passport but NOT exactly a passport). It's a booklet that resembles a passport and has "VISA" pages where upon entry to other countries, they stamp it (just like passport). That's how my mom (green card holder) and my sister (us citizen) travel together.
    If you are a green card holder you DO still have your country of origins passport, meaning its not been surrendered (that is only an option after naturalization) and you are still a citizen of that country. In fact you should keep it even if its expired. They can be renewed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Citizen married 01/07 to former H1-B, now Green Card holder. 1040? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi – really straightforward question from a newbie. I am a US citizen (born here). Got married in 01/07 (our first anniversary is Sunday!). My husband was a H1-B holder at the time of our marriage. He had been in the US for 9 years (grad school + 5+ years of an H1-B). Never left the country. ...

Green card holder travelling [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Australian living in USA. I am also a green card holder. I want to travel to Vietnam by the end of this year. Should I use my Australian Passport or I have to use my green card with re-entry permit ? Thank you for your answer.

Obtaining a EU passport [ 2 Answers ]

I will be joining my boyfriend in the UK in October. He has a EU passport and I will have to go over on a working holiday visa. After 12 months we will be getting married. Will I be able to apply for a EU passport or what will I apply for in order for me to work freely in the UK.

Old greek passport, green card application [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, So I am a greek citizen married to a US citizen. My green card interview is coming up soon but I have not gotten the new greek passport yet (nor will I have it until the interviw). My passport is not expiring any time soon but my understanding is that it is invalid since jan 2007 (when...

View more questions Search