Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AceJoey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Cloudy Fish Tank
    I set up my new fish tank in Oct. The old one kept getting mold in it (I believe because it was really old). It wasn't my tank, it belonged to my husband. (I got married last year).
    I understand that the new tank has to cycle, however; it still has not cleared up. I was doing partial water changes and about 4 weeks ago, I totally changed the water and gravel. It stayed clear for about 1 week but then turned cloudy again. I did have the water tested at the fish store and was told that everything was normal. (This was before I totally changed the water and gravel). I am very frustrated!! I have had fish tanks for the last 10 years and never had this problem. There are currently 6 fish and 2 snails in the tank. The only other thing that I can think of is that I moved into a fairly old house and the water is very hard. If that is the reason that the tank is not clearing up, should I use distilled water? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    NAVYDOC Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Go the pet store and get a bottle of crystal clear. I have had tanks for almost 30 years and I use this whenever I change my water. Also, check your filter system;if it is clogged , it can't clean the water. I also use tidy tank to reduce odors. Check your water temperature also. The warmer the water, the less o2, and that may contribute to cloudy water. Hope this helps:D

Feb 26, 2008, 05:53 PM
    NavyDoc,
    Thanks for replying. I have been using crystal clear, it's not helping. Today when I looked at the tank, I noticed that it is beginning to get a green type algee(?) on the walls of the tank. Any ideas? What is tidy tank?
    NAVYDOC Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Tidy tank improves water quality and breaks down organic debris. If you are seeing green algae on your glass then my next question would be; how often do you clean your tank and do you have any algae eaters, not snails. I clean my tank once a month and in between cleanings I use a brush to clean the algae on the glass. Tanks are like furniture;if you don't clean the furniture, it collects dust. Also, check your water temperature and make sure it is at the recommended temp for your type of fish.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Is your cloudy water green or white?

Mar 1, 2008, 09:17 PM
    White
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Have you had the water checked since you changed everything?
    It sounds like the aquarium is trying to cycle itself.
    When large amounts of beneficial bacteria are being made, it will cloud the water.
    Once the bacteria have a chance to establish colonies in the filters, gravel, and other places inside the tank, it will clear up.

Have you kept a clear aquarium in the house you're living in now?
    A high level of phosphates in the water can cloud the tank.

I was trying to help a guy once that had a cloudy tank and nothing was clearing it up.
    One day he filled the tank from a different faucet and had clear water.
    He wrote me back just to let me know it was his faucet making the water cloudy.

So it just goes to show that so many things could be causing it.
    Getting a water test done while it's cloudy will determine if it's cloudy due to cycling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy fish tank [ 22 Answers ]

Hello , I recently got a new hobby... a 30 gallon aquarium.I have had it about 2 months. Initially I put in 6 gold fish,3 red cap orandas and 3 gold fish. I then went and bought ranchu(fat one) and bought 2 plecos(algea eaters) and 3 apple snails. All are fine, except that 2 of the snails died...

Cloudy fish tank [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a 28litre tank and have been running it for two days now with no fish in.I use the filter that came with the tank and have put nutrafin water conditioner and biological aquarium supplement.but when I got home today the water was cloudy . Is this normal and will it go away and when will...

Cloudy fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my fish tank 2 days ago I feed them very little in the morn. And very little at night... I use bottled water that they gave me at the store with the fish... yesterday morning the tank was cloudy I can't even see half of the fish only when they come to the front... what seemd to...

Cloudy Fish Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 50 gallon tank. Wasn't cloudy until I discovered one of the little sharks dead, caught in the filter thingy I removed the dead fish and added the treatment chemicals? What's next I have nine other fish I don't want to die. HELP! I'm new at this fish stuff, so please answer question...

Fish tank cloudy [ 6 Answers ]

All the typical teats come back normal (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but the water stays cloudy no matter the water changed or not. The fish tank is a 72 bow front with 4 fish 2 Amazon tiger catfish both about 8 in. 1 armor catfish and 1 pleco. I know the tank is not over stocked or over feed. Any...

View more questions Search