Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjccbutts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Judgment by creditor
    We have just sold our home. I have a judgment from Citibank (credit card), no lien on property, but title company has said this judgment must be cleared before we can close. Is this correct, even though it was not connected to our property?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 26, 2006, 08:02 AM
    Yes, that's correct. Once there is a judgment docketed against you it automatically becomes a lien against your property without any further action being taken. When the title company does the searches, the names of the sellers and buyers are searched for judgments. If a judgment turns up it must be paid in full at (or before) the closing in order for title to be clear.

Jan 26, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Thanks for response. Do you know what the chances are for settling for a lesser amount might be?
    Expert

Jan 26, 2006, 08:41 AM
    You can try but since they already have a judgment they are not likely to be very cooperative. But try anyway. The worst that can happen is that they'll say no. Good luck!

Jan 26, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Thanks very much for your prompt reply.
    Expert

Jan 26, 2006, 08:55 AM
    My pleasure. I hope it works out well for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can they get a judgment against me? [ 1 Answers ]

OK I'm on s.s disability got behind On credit card. Now I'm getting all Those calls. Can they put a judgment Against me. I own nothing

What are my rights as a creditor [ 1 Answers ]

My husband went bankrupt after our divorce. I had an order for him owing me 35k, he hadn't paid for over a year, then he went bankrupt. We had not worked out a payment plan or anything, I don't think he should have been able to go bankrupt, can I fight this 2 years later? Also, he has a trustee...

Judgment/Ch 13 [ 6 Answers ]

I have judgment for 1400 on credit report. This amount was discharged in BK13 but my atty failed to make a motion to have it dismissed when at my hearing and hence, it remains on on my credit report. To get it satisfied, I apparently need to pay 1400 plus atty fees and interest from 2000. One...

Judgment and more don't know where to start [ 1 Answers ]

Well here is my story, looking for anybody with some advice Back in September of 2005 a collection company got a judgment against me (I never received any letters to come to court or anything). At that time they froze my bank account and in order for them to take off the lien they made me pay 1500...

View more questions Search