Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    03PackEngr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 06:52 PM
    96 Honda Accord Cut Off and Will Not Crank
    My wife's 96 Honda Accord would not start with her late last week. It would turn over but not crank. The battery was pretty old and had began corroding on the terminals so I replaced it. I then replaced the spark plugs and it would start if I patted the gas. I then replaced the fuel filter and it fired right up. Thinking I had fixed the problem, I took it off for a test drive. Two miles later, it cut off while driving and wouldn't start again. It was running really well before it cut off. I've looked online and seen where it could be one of many different problems. When you turn the key to the on position, you hear the fuel pump come up to pressure so I don't think that's it. Just in case, I disconnected the fuel hose from the injectors that that connects to the filter and turned the key to see. It appeared to be all right. It pumped pretty good. I've also seen where it could be the main relay. Could a faulty relay make it cut off while driving? I've also taken the plug wires off and seen it spark when it was trying to start. Could the injectors be plugged? Could the fuel pump be pumping but not supplying enough pressure? Could it be firing but not hot enough to ignite the fuel? Relay problems? HELP!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 03PackEngr
    Could a faulty relay make it cut off while driving? I've also taken the plug wires off and seen it spark when it was trying to start. Could the injectors be plugged? Could the fuel pump be pumping but not supplying enough pressure? Could it be firing but not hot enough to ignite the fuel? Relay problems? HELP!!
    A faulty relay is not too likely. It would be best to test for spark immediately after the car stalls.
    Chances are the ignition coil and/or module is overheating while driving and shutting down.

Also, when you tested for spark, was it a healthy snap with a blue spark?
    A weak coil will generate a noticeably smaller spark and will be yellow, and would not be hot enough to fire the air/fuel mix once it is compressed.
    03PackEngr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 04:54 AM
    Thanks for responding. The spark wasn't a strong blue spark. It was more of a bright red or orange.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 03PackEngr
    Thanks for responding. The spark wasn't a strong blue spark. It was more of a bright red or orange.
    That indicates a weak coil. I would recommend a replacement coil and also consider replacing the ignition module at the same time. That would hopefully give you the confidence of many miles of worry-free driving.
    I hope this helped.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 11:15 AM
    I would replace the Ignition Control Module and coil, as described below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1992 Honda Accord Cut out and won't start [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all, I recently purchased a 92 Accord and have been driving it for a month now. It was running perfectly until they other day. I started it cold then drove down my street and it just died without warning and now it won't start. The engine cranks... I know it's electrical because I get no...

Honda Accord fan that won't cut off [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a 96 Honda Accord and the fan won't cut off. Hondas are not my speciality so and the only thing I can think of is to disconnect the fan but then the car will run hot so if someone can start me off with the trouble shuting.

Honda Accord won't crank [ 1 Answers ]

My 1992 Honda Accord Lx won't crank. If starter spray is put in it cranks but cuts right back off. A mechanic tested my fuel pump and it's good. He's thinking that maybe it's the distributor or relay. Could this be the problem? If so where can I find a picture and description of the things that...

1992 Honda Accord Crank/No Start [ 5 Answers ]

92 Accord, Cranking but not starting. Fuel pressure is good, No spark. Distributor, Cap, rotor, ignitor and coil all good. Main Relay good. Fuses all good. ECU problem?

View more questions Search