Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Arisaema Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Orthodox Jews and the Handling of Money by Women
    Hi,
    I work for a major mail order retailer and on several occasions I have assisted Jewish customers with orders. On these orders women have given me all the product information and I have gone over costs, shipping, delivery, etc. When it is time for them to give me the credit card information, they give the phone to their husbands. Why? I am Jewish myself, Reconstructionist temple, but have no idea why this occurs. I have also done some cursory research about Orthodox sects but still can't find any information. Is there some issue about men handling all the money/finances? In some cases these are clearly women with jobs, so I am very curious. Can anyone assist?
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Feb 25, 2008, 06:35 PM
    In my house, my wife pays for more things than I do and my father used to engage in the bi-weekly ritual of handing the still sealed paycheck to my mom. I tried that but my wife is as uninterested as I am. I'm sure than in some cultural groups (both Jewish and not) the husband is in charge of the finances and may keep track of which credit card to use. In my neighborhood, I have never heard of such a thing.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 25, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Like yourself, I don't come from a Orthodox background. However I can't think of any mitzvot related issues. My guess is that the fiscal family responsibility just happened to be the husband's in these cases. One possibility is that the cards could have the husband's name on it, but the wives are also signers.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 07:32 PM
    I think you are just finding some families where the husband handles the credit card, most likely you will find this happens within any culture group

Feb 26, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Thank you for all the quick replies. I understand what all of you are saying, but in the four years I have been doing this, only Jewish husbands have done this. Several of my coworkers have also had the same thing happen. Perhaps this is a practice in the most othodox of households?

Feb 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Unless you want to say that your clientele is exclusively the most ultra of orthodoxy (and if so, you should increase your client base) then it would be tough to pin this as a Jewish thing. I speak as an orthodox Jewish rabbi when I say this, by the way.

Feb 26, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Sorry, Rabbi. I have had many husbands call me to tell me to remove their wives' names from our mailing lists, i.e. no more catalogs, but I can tell you that this practice, having husbands give credit card info, has only happened with Jewish customers. As it concerns the company's client base, it spans across all socio-economic levels, it is a major mail order company.

Feb 26, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Then you haven't called any orthodox communities with which I have ever been affiliated. And by the way, is it standard operating procedure to ask a phone customer his religion?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Orthodox Jews and Physical Fitness [ 9 Answers ]

Is there some reason in Jewish religious books that prohibits male Orthodox Jews from participating in promoting their physical fitness--sports, exercise, walking, whatever?? Is it against their God's law?

Where can I get a surety bond to work in a government agency handling money [ 2 Answers ]

I am job hunting with government agencies who ask if I'm bondable. These jobs typically want the person to accept cash, checks, and credit card payments. I am a felon, served less than a year in federal women's camp. I know that I am bondable just don't know where to get the bond and for how much....

Jews [ 18 Answers ]

Why don't Jews celebrate Christmas? And what festival do they celebrate in December? And what's that festival about? From Cocopops2311

Orthodox jewish women [ 5 Answers ]

How are orthodow jewish women treated:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Russian Orthodox [ 3 Answers ]

Forgive me for my naïve question, but I'm trying to learn. :) Long story, but my husbands brother with his wife and children converted from Baptist to Russian Orthodox in the past year. They both were raised in a Baptist family, so it was a bit of a surprise when it all happened. Once they...

View more questions Search