Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 06:10 PM
    What is the world's smartest woman to do?
    "If Hillary Clinton wanted a graceful exit, she'd drop out now—before the March 4 Texas and Ohio primaries—and endorse Barack Obama. This would be terrible for people like me who have been dreaming of a brokered convention for decades. For selfish reasons, I want the story to stay compelling for as long as possible, which means I'm hoping for a battle into June for every last delegate and a bloody floor fight in late August in Denver. But to withdraw this week would be the best thing imaginable for Hillary's political career. She won't, of course, and for reasons that help explain why she's in so much trouble in the first place."
    See the rest: Alter: Hillary Should Get Out Now | Newsweek Voices - Jonathan Alter | Newsweek.com
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Not up on their primary rules, is it possible for neither side to get a winning number of delegates
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Ahhhh... Nahhhh. Hilary will go down to the last delgate vote and then she will even question it. Unless she gets the majority. It will be interetsing to see how much support Raplh Nader can garner and if that will make a difference. Go Ralph (just kidding). But then again... maybe not. I like a good split like that. Look at the damage whats-his-face did to the Republicans not all the long ago. What was his name? Backed NAFTA, fairly wealthy, I think from the South.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 25, 2008, 07:03 PM
    I have to take another look at the mathematical possibilities, but I'm guessing that reaching the 2,025 delegates needed for the Democratic nomination may be out reach for either candidate. If a broker convention happens it would be interesting to see if Hillary caters to her agenda and tears the party apart by disenfranchising ninety-one African-American communities, seventy percent share of registered Democrat Caucasian males, thirty-five to forty-five percent of Latinos and Asians, and the overwhelming throngs of first time voters interested in Obama. Personally I hope she resigns from the senate, then do the nation some good by retiring to the hills of Arkansas never to be heard from again.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 07:12 PM
    She will fight Obama viciously to the bitter end and then some. Then she will make excuses and accusations-the bad chad type
    If she was smart she would have stayed kissy face with him like she was a couple weeks ago
    And back out now and then have a chance at VP
    BUT OF COURSE that IS NOT Hillary style

She will stay in and get more vicious and more lame with her attacks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 07:20 PM
    You think this will end up in the courts ?
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Feb 25, 2008, 08:04 PM
    I hate to do this but I have to take a completely different stance on this. I am not a fan of Hilary or Obama, for that matter. Nor, do I really like my options on the other side. However, in no way at all should she quit now.

Why? Because whether any of us really want to believe this or not, she is representing a huge forward motion, for all women in this country. I am not at all a female activist in the true sense of the word. However, I do believe in equality and we are still not there in this wonderful country. Women continue to make progress in reaching the top ranks of the highest-paid managers publicly traded companies, for example, but they still have a long way to catch up to their male counterparts.

As women we are still paid less, as a whole. We are expected to work twice as hard to get half the respect. Is Hilary over the top, even for us women, obviously as the numbers reflect that. She does, however, represent more right now than simply a nomination. I once heard that a woman of real beauty smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection and prayers. I trust those thoughts and ideas now as history reflects that through some amazing women.

1916 ~ First woman elected to Congress, Jeanette Rankin
    1920 ~ 19th Amendment ratified, giving women the right to vote
    1920 ~ League of Women Voters established
    1921 ~ Margaret Sanger founds American Birth Control League
    1923 ~ Equal Rights Amendment first proposed to Congress
    1933 ~ First woman appointed as Secretary of Labor, Frances Perkins
    1941-1945 ~ WWII calls millions of women enter the work force (I love you Rosie)
    1955 ~ Rosa Parks arrested, sparking the Black Civil Rights Movement
    1960 ~ Enovid, the first birth control pill is marketed
    1963 ~ Betty Friedan's book, The Feminine Mystique inspires the feminist movement
    1966 ~ National Organization for Women founded
    1972 ~ Equal Rights Amendment passed by Congress
    1973 ~ Roe v. Wade overturns laws restricting abortion rights
    1981 ~ First woman appointed to U.S. Supreme Court, Sandra Day O'Connor
    1982 ~ Equal Rights Amendment fails
    1984 ~ First female nominated for vice president by the Democratic Party, Geraldine Ferraro
    1987 ~ Census Bureau reports women earn an average of 68 cents on every dollar earned by men
    1993 ~ First woman appointed Attorney General of the United States, Janet Reno
    2006 ~ First woman Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi

The Harvard Business Review, in a previous years remarked about a survey of Fortune 1000 CEOs and women executives at the vice president level and above. A clear majority of the female executives surveyed cite numerous barriers such as exclusion from informal networks, stereotyping, lack of mentor's, shortage of role models, lack of accountability on the part of senior leadership, and limited opportunities for visibility. CEOs also acknowledge these obstacles but in many cases, seem less convinced of their significance. Seventy nine percent of women and 90% of the CEO's did agree that lack of general management or line experience is a primary obstacle to advancement. About two-thirds of women and more than half of the CEO's also agree that the failure of senior leadership to assume accountability for women's advancement is a key barrier.

It comes back to the age old question; how does one gain experience if they are not given a chance?

But you know what? When its really said and done, its not just about making it a little easier for others to follow, its about a bigger message. A message that you send to males and females young and old, quite simply, you don't quit. This hasn't been a landslide. Quitting tells our children its okay to do the same. That's not only in her genetic make-up but its not in the heart of any fighter, she's a fighter. Stubborn or not, love her or hate her, you have to respect her stubborn, extremely driven ambitions. That's perseverance plain and simple.

I know that's what I want my children to see. I think to myself right now as I type, imagine some of our previous and current leaders and CEO's in this country. What if they had given up when stocks tanked, or things like 911 destroyed all profit growths and they struggled to stay above water? The first one that comes to mind is American Express CEO Ken Chenault. Steve Jobs and Jack Welch are a couple more great examples.

She can't quit and for those two very big reasons, she needs to keep her head up and stay focused on the bigger picture. Besides it's not over and I agree with you George_1950 in that we all want to see a strong finish, I for different reasons.

"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats."
    ~ Bertie C. Forbes
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Hillary clinton called me twice this week asking me to vote for her. Even asked me not to believe the lies that Obama was spreading about her. (recorded message of course... )

It sure would be funny to see them pair up after all the accusations back and forth. That might be enough to make me into a Republican voter, but I'm not sure.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 08:53 PM
    You (life1973happened) have some things listed that have little to do with advancing the cause of females. I think a side-by-side of American female accomplishments and British female accomplishments would be more productive. If every female candidate for the presidency were a "Hillary", the nation would be best served if she were never elected; whereas, a Margaret Thatcher would easily be elected in the U.S. Frankly, I hope she withdraws to help Democratic unity and resigns her seat in the Senate, which would be the honorable thing to do. But, a Clinton do the honorable thing? Never.
    -

Feb 25, 2008, 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    You (life1973happened) have some things listed that have little to do with advancing the cause of females. I think a side-by-side of American female accomplishments and British female accomplishments would be more productive. If every female candidate for the presidency were a "Hillary", the nation would be best served if she were never elected; whereas, a Margaret Thatcher would easily be elected in the U.S. Frankly, I hope she withdraws to help Democratic unity and resigns her seat in the Senate, which would be the honorable thing to do. But, a Clinton do the honorable thing? Never.
    Are you serious George_1950? The examples I gave have little to do with advancing our cause, as women? I could not disagree more if my life depended on it. How you could then counter, and back your ideas, with examples of The United States of America with those in a completely different country? That leaves me almost... speechless.

Margaret Thatcher, no question is an incredible woman who will forever make it in every history book, and well so. However, she is not running for President of the United States, and therefore I miss your thought process in that regard. Why would we compare countries in a thread like you started? Because I spoke about why Mrs. Clinton should not quit?

Our country, George is behind most in regards to the advancement of women in political leadership roles. I will not argue that to be the case. However, this is not about women in other countries, this is about my country, our Democracy. I can give you a list of women in many countries that have done wonderful things, that have made advancement for women on a global basis, slightly easier.

Your thread was not about 'Globalization' in regards to the Women's Movement. It was about Hilary and giving in or holding out. I responded with my thoughts, in regards to this wonderful country, as that is what is at question here.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 09:44 PM
    You are a gracious writer, but our wonderful country doesn't deserve a Hillary and would do very well with a Thatcher. The time for a woman president is coming and it may be a black woman. My contention is that it will not, and should not, be a liberal, unless we drop the ball.
    -

Feb 25, 2008, 10:28 PM
    Thank you George_1950 and I agree that a leader like Margaret Thatcher, for this country, would be a wonderful addition to a Constitution our Founding Fathers worked tirelessly to provide every American.

I also agree with a lot of what you say regarding Hilary Clinton. Just not in regards to quitting and the complex 'idea' of what she represents. I often say I'm not ready for a female President to run this wonderful country. I don't think as a Nation, we are ready for a female President.

However, we are more apt to fail our young people be persecuting Hilary's drive and perseverance to finish what she started, than we are of electing her as President.

(I only capitalize out of respect)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 08:27 AM
    I have no problem with the right woman becoming President. It doesn't stand to reason that she should be the 1st because she has to date the greatest chance of winning.

As I understand it ;because of the proportional awarding of delegates neither candidate can achieve a majority from the primary/caucus process. Therefore it will come down to "super delegates" choosing the Democrat standard bearer. I think there will be a fierce battle for them if Howard the Scream doesn't intervene and "choose " the candidate himself.
    Also ; it is very probable that Evita would try to seat the Michigan and Fla. Delegates . How ironic would that be if the issue was decided in court?! Lol

I just want a good ole fashion convention with floor fights galore .
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 08:54 AM
    All right, I'm going to take a whole different approach to this question by addressing your question title, George... "What is the world's smartest woman to do?"

Do you really believe that Hillary Clinton is the "world's smartest woman???"

I'm just curious... is this off topic? If so, I apologize and withdraw my question.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Feb 26, 2008, 09:23 AM
    I hope she doesn't drop out. (she won't) I voted in the TX primary for her. GO HILLARY! Do I want her elected? NO! I just think she will be easier to put down in Nov. than Obama would be.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 03:14 PM
    A plane was about to crash with 5 passengers on board, but only 4 parachutes.

The 1st passenger, George W. Bush said, "I'm the President of the United States. I have a great responsibility being the leader of nearly 300 million people". So he takes the first parachute and jumps out of the plane.

The 2nd passenger said, "I'm Eli Manning, Super Bowl MVP, so I can't afford to die". So he takes the second parachute and leaves the plane.

The 3rd passenger, Hillary Clinton said "I'm the wife of the former United States President, and a New York Senator, and I'm the smartest woman in the world". So she takes the third parachute and exits the plane.

The 4th passenger, an old man says to the 5th passenger, a 14 year old boy scout, "I'm old and frail and don't have many years left, so you take the last parachute".

The boy scout replied, "It's OK, there's a parachute left for you. The world's smartest woman has just jumped out with my backpack!

Yeah, I know, not a new joke. :D

"What is the world's smartest woman to do?"
    I guess she could take the JFK route through Dealy Plaza, past the Texas Book Depository like her opponent did.

I fully expect Hillary to fight tooth and nail to the convention. She's wooing the 'superdelegates,' fighting to get Florida and Michigan's votes, and now she's going for the throat - not only mocking Obama but getting angry and saying "shame on you" for his "Karl Rove" tactics.

Meanwhile, Howard the Deaniac is still running against Bush and filing a complaint over McCain's decision to back out of the matching-fund system - even though the bank that furnished his loan said "the loan terms specifically excluded from the collateral any potential share of public matching funds McCain was entitled to receive."

It's getting dicey out there...
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 04:26 PM
    I agree with George, Hillary will not advance women in any way, shape or form! Hillary is only out for Hillary.
    -

Feb 26, 2008, 04:47 PM
    I agree with both of you in regards to Hilary. I hope you guys understand I'm talking about the platform she represents. My answer wasn't to support Hilary for President, but rather support political leadership roles for women, to one day make it easier to be considered equals.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 04:50 PM
    A woman Pres would be nice. But NONE of the choices we have this time round are worth a darn Rep or Dem
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick
    Alright, I'm going to take a whole different approach to this question by addressing your question title, George.... "What is the world's smartest woman to do?"

Do you really believe that Hillary Clinton is the "world's smartest woman???"

I'm just curious.... is this off topic? If so, I apologize and withdraw my question.
    No, it is an epithet, an expression of derision. Someone called her "the world's smartest woman", but I haven't found it yet. But the epithet is a phrase of common usage:
    IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- Smartest Woman On Earth?

and a neat cartoon: IBDeditorials.com: Michael Ramirez Editorial and Political Cartoons

You are not off topic, so what is your different approach?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The other woman [ 11 Answers ]

I am the other woman. I have been with the same man for 7 1/2 years. He is not legally married but he is living with a woman. I am tired of his lies. The guilt of being the other woman which I only found out about 5 1/2 years into our relationship is effecting me physically. My question is do...

Smartest of the smarts, please help me! [ 3 Answers ]

A hinge is supporting a door that is hanging down from it (think of a doggie door). When a wind is blowing at the top of the hinge at a constant 11 m/s the door is perfectly horizontal (in the beginning it was perfectly vertical with no wind). If a wind of 11 m/s is needed to rotate the door on...

Can you get a woman into you. [ 3 Answers ]

If a woman is not into you, is there a way to win her over? Or is it better to fact the fact that she is not into you and walk away, emotionaly so to speak. I read that apearing like an Alpha Male or behaving in a different way is the way to do this. But I am not sure if this is just...

Carlos Slim-world's richest man [ 9 Answers ]

I was reading Fortune last night, and I found out that Carlos Slim is now the richest man in the world. This 67-year-old mexican man has amassed a $59 billion fortune, based on the value of his public holdings at the end of July. This number puts him just ahead of perennial No. 1, Microsoft...

What to do about the other woman? [ 21 Answers ]

I'm in a situation where I know the other woman's number, this is how I discovered something was going on, when my husband switched cell phones, and I had access to the numbers he was calling, there were over 100 calls to this number, both ways. Yes, I confronted him, and he insists that they are...

View more questions Search