Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jitender99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 05:49 PM
    First time in US, H1B shall fill 1040NR-EZ or something else?
    I came first time in US on H1B visa and my employer as per rules has deducted the fedral and state tax (NC) as well.

As per the IRS website, as I have stayed only 75 days in US in 2007 and never before, hence I do not qualify for "substantial presence test"
    I believe that for this reason I should get 100% fedral and state tax refund.

I have a social security number and W-2 form from my employer.
    Kindly let me know how shall I fill in my tax returns, and get a refund.
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Since you don't meet the substantial presence test, file 1040 or 1040EZ.

Quote Originally Posted by jitender99
    I beleive that for this reason I should get 100% fedral and state tax refund.
    Not true - depends how much income you had. Just because you are non-resident for tax purposes, does not mean that you are exempt from taxes.
    jitender99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 04:30 AM
    Thanks vaya for your help,
    Can you also let me know how should I file the 1040NR-EZ form or the normal 1040.
    Also some trusted websites or any other link which could be used.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 04:33 AM
    You have a choice of filing 1040NR for the money you earned in the U.S. or you can make a first year election and file 1040. If you make the first year election, you need to delay filing until you meet the substantial presence test. Whether you will owe any tax under either situation depends on the amount of income you earned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1b and 1040nr [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know little about the form 1040s. I came from India on h1b. Last year I filled 1040nr. Now I am married and wife hasn't her ssn nor itin. She is not eligible for ssn and has no income. Do I need to file a joint return ot what. And how can I claim her exemption and which form...

Should we fill out 1040NR or 1040 [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have been staying US over 5 years and our status is still F1. I'm confused by a few questions. 1) Should we use 1040NR or 1040 form to claim federal tax return? 2) Can we fill out the form jointly? 3) In addition to 1040 or 1040NR, is there any other form necessary to...

Can I fill 1040NR return [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Chinese working for a US company in China. My boss sent me to US participating a R&D project for 10 months in 2006 with L-1 visa and I finished my business trip to go back China at the end of 2006. I research US tax law. It seems I need file Dual-Status return in 2006 because I stayed in US...

Fill 1040NR or 1040EZ [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Myhusband has a visa L1 and I have a visa L2 and an autorization to work, but I don't work because I didn't find anything yet. I would like to know which Tax form I have to fill. Is it 1040NR or 1040EZ ? Do I fill a form for my husband and one for me, or do I fill only one for both of us...

H1B Should fill 1040 or 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

Folks, I know many people have asked this question a number of times. I am on H1B for the whole of 2005 and have been working in the US. I wanted to fill in my tax papers myself online. But Turbotax etc don't have the 1040NR form. All they offer is 1040 or 1040EZ. Can I fill in the 1040NR even...

View more questions Search