Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babyblonde430 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Independent student!
    I am having a problem... my parents won't give me their tax info and I live by myself. I have my own house and I am completely on my own! Every time I try and apply for a loan or grant they tell me I need this info. I can't seem to get around it and my parents won't help out, the financial aid department at the college I want to attend will not help, they just tell me to wait until I get married or somehow make my parents gimme their info. Do I really have to go through the steps of getting emancipated even though I am over 18!! This is really frustrating... any ideas?:mad:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 05:27 PM
    You cannot get around it. When I was 32 and went back to college I had to have my Dad fill out those forms. All they need to do is give the information. If they do not claim you as a dependent, then their income is not used in determining your financial aid. Unless that rule has changed.

At over the age of 18, you are emancipated.
    babyblonde430 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Then howcome I have to have their info. If I'm not over 24? It doesn't make any sense. The financial aid department tells me I have to fill out the fafsa but it doesn't even give me a choice to say whether they claim me or not (which I know they don't, they don't even consider me their daughter) they just want to know if I'm over 24 or not.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Just fill out the FAFSA and mail it in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

Financial Aid for the Independent student [ 2 Answers ]

Is this anyway for a student who is under 24, not married, doesn't have a kid, is not emancipated, and is not a veteran to get financial aid in Michigan without her parent's taxes? My parents are refusing to give out their tax information and I don't live with them. I am repeatedly being told that...

How can I register as an independent student? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and I have not been living with my parents for about 15 months. I was told by my aunt that my cousin who is only 19 is registered in college as an independent student. I have not been able to do this because I am still considered an dependent student. My aunt said that all I...

Independent Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

I am about to begin working online as an independent contractor. I understand that I will receive a 1099 MISC form at the end of the year. That's about all I understand. I live in Arkansas, and I was wondering... what percentage of what I make do I need to put up for taxes? And what if I would...

Independent student filing fafsa.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am filing the fafsa and css profile for financial aid at the turn of the year as an independent student because I provide for more than half of my child's support. I have never filed any tax forms though and am completely lost on the subject. I know(I think I know?) I don't need to file...

View more questions Search