Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mle_ray Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Guy claims my mom hit his car
    My mom pulled into a gas station, backed up into position, and as she put it "brushed against the pump hose." She got out of the car and casually checked it out before pumping gas, and the guy behind her said "you just hit my car." He then pointed to a large dent in the front hood of his car. My mom said she was shocked, obviously had not felt anything remotely close to a collision, wasn't close to his car, had no mark on her car, etc. However, having never been in an accident before, being an honest person, she gave him her number, address, etc.
    She did not call her insurance company. He has since called her several times, first telling her that it would be $580 to fix his car and when she again stated she didn't think she had hit him, he said he would bring it down to $300. To me, this seems like an obvious scam, but she is worried that he will press charges. She is also worried that just calling her insurance company and telling them what is happening will start a claim that will make her insurance go up. I told her that it is this guys job to contact his insurance company, and her insurance company won't do anything until it is investigated to see who is at fault. Am I right? Should she contact someone, or just wait to see what he does?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 05:19 PM
    There will be no investigation by an insurance company, if she wanted an investigation she shoul have called the police at the scene.

They will take her statement and his statement, and see if he will sue or not, if he sues most likely they will settle.

Is it a scam? I don't know could be, or she may have bumped him.
    You have the choice to either ignore him, pay him or turn it over to your insurance
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 05:20 PM
    The gas station should have cameras that see those kinds of things. They all do around here - to monitor people trying to drive off without paying. Has she checked with the gas station?

She needs to contact someone and not be held hostage to this guy's threats. While I do doubt that she did hit his car, she needs to protect herself and not be sucked in by, what sounds like, a bully.
    mle_ray Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies!
    If she calls her insurance company, will they pay it if she says she doesn't think she hit him, or will they wait until he brings action? Can her insurance go up just by making that call?
    Great idea to ask the gas station.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Her insurance company (do you know which company?) will check it out thoroughly, and will not pay him unless the facts of the accident make it clear that she did indeed hit him.

No, her insurance will not go up by making the call.
    moix4 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 04:21 PM
    I think she should suggest to the guy that she wants to report it to the police. Based on his reaction, it will be evident as to whether it is legit or a scam, as it is a crime to file a false police report. If he agrees to it, then either she really did hit his car, or he is an idiot.

Then she should call her insurance company & report the claim. Then she should have them take photos of her car & his car to see if it is possible for her to have caused the damages. Sometimes only 1 car will sustain damages. If it is physically impossible for the accident to have occurred, then she has the right to demand that her carrier refuse to pay the claim. Most insurance companies WILL investigate if their insured is adamant enough that they did not cause the damages, and will go the distance if a lawsuit is filed. That is why they have attorneys on retainer. Chances are the guy will never pursue the matter without any witnesses.

The surveillance camera suggestion is a great idea.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 09:26 PM
    IF she DID damage to the hood how and what part of her car could have possibly hit his hood
    AND NOT damaged his bumper or the grill?
    It is common to get damage on one car and not the other but how could her car damage the hood only?
    She needs to caution her insurance company that this sounds suspicious.
    moix4 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 12:08 PM
    That was exactly my point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hit by a car [ 6 Answers ]

I was hit by a car making an illegal left turn but I was j walking what can I do?

While our puppy was on a leash, he was hit be a car. [ 1 Answers ]

After placing my children in the car after leaving the dog park our puppy was hit by a car. I got my children into the car and had our puppy on a lease which I attach to my hip because I have two small children and need both hands. I was parked on the side of the road and had my door wide open and...

I hit a car and ran [ 3 Answers ]

Yea recently I hit a car and ran.. but he came after me and he might have got my license number... I was so scared I thought he was gon shoot me or sometin so I ran... ion no what 2 do... ion want to go 2 jail... my dumb have liability insurance 2... dat could have took care off all of this.. buh...

Car hit by garbage truck, now being ignored [ 3 Answers ]

A garbage truck hit my car in October.. I know bad luck with me and cars.. the waste management manager came out and looked at my car and said his truck didn't hit it, my neighbor saw, and I took pictures when the truck came by one day and stopped right by my car. I have left many messages and...

Guy Who Renames Stuff Has A Hit Book - Buzzmarketing [ 1 Answers ]

What!! I am so pissed off with these damn marketers renaming every Damn building around. My daughters middle school is now 'in discussions' with Frito Lay about calling the school Frito Lay Middle School and it's this guy's fault. Before anyone else was doing it.. this dude Mark Hughes...

View more questions Search