Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbicknel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 05:03 PM
    401k hardship questions
    1) I owe Federal back taxes, State back taxes, and local real estate (county taxes) and am late on my house payments. Can I take out 401k money without paying the additional 10% tax for early withdrawl?

2) Also, a few years ago, I lost my job and my 401k automatically rolled into a withdrawl to pay the loans I had taken against some of the money. I filed my taxes and I was later adjusted to pay the 10% tax. Since I had no job, could this also be hardship?

My wife is on social security and is totally disabled also.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 07:46 AM
    No - sorry - being in debt or losing your job does not eliminate the requirement to pay the 10% penalty for an early withdrawal. The exceptions to having to pay the 10% penalty are for early withdrawals that are:

1. Made as part of a series of substantially equal periodic payments (made at least annually) for your life (or life expectancy) or the joint lives (or joint life expectancies) of you and your designated beneficiary (if from a qualified retirement plan, the payments must begin after separation from service) - this is known as a section 72(t) withdrawal.

2- Made because you are totally and permanently disabled.

3- Made on or after the death of the plan participant or contract holder.

4- From a qualified retirement plan (other than an IRA) after your separation from service in or after the year you reached age 55.

5- From a qualified retirement plan (other than an IRA) to an alternate payee under a qualified domestic relations order.

6- From a qualified retirement plan to the extent you have deductible medical expenses (medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income), whether you itemize your deductions for the year.

7- From an employer plan under a written election that provides a specific schedule for distribution of your entire interest if, as of March 1, 1986, you had separated from service and had begun receiving payments under the election.

8- From an employee stock ownership plan for dividends on employer securities held by the plan.

9- From a qualified retirement plan due to an IRS levy of the plan.

You do not appear to met any of these exceptions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Hardship - [ 6 Answers ]

I will try to summarize my situation. 56 years old and terminated by my employer. Have 150K in 401k plan. Owe 78K on mortgage (9 years remain). About 12K of credit card debt. Can I qualify for penalty free lump sum distribution or take a monthly distribution penalty free? I would like to pay...

Hardship withdrawal From 401k [ 10 Answers ]

SITUATIONAL INFORMATION: I haved worked for this company for 10 years, and they are closing up shop in the US on Jan 28. I have approx. 25,000 in the 401K, half of which is out in loans to myself, and the other half the 401K company says I am eligible to withraw as a hardship. My hardship is...

Hardship withdrawal from 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking into getting a 2500.00 hardship withdrawl from my 401 (k) for closing costs on a home. Is his wise?

View more questions Search