Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sheila Sitton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Siblings sharing bedrooms
    Me and my husband have been married for a year. He has two daughters ages 12 and 7 and I have a son that is 4 years old. We are buying a new home and my husband wants to put our two youngest in the same room and let our 12 year old have her own room. My question is, should the girls be sharing a room together? Is it fair for our son to not have his own room?:confused:
    streptococci Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Sitton
    Me and my husband have been married for a year. He has two daughters ages 12 and 7 and I have a son that is 4 years old. We are buying a new home and my husband wants to put our two youngest in the same room and let our 12 year old have her own room. My question is, should the girls be sharing a room together? Is it fair for our son to not have his own room?:confused:
    Im a boy of 14 years, and going through puberty (same as your 12 year old) I like to have my own space, and pirivacy is the main issue.

Obviously you are concerned about the boy and the girl sharing a room, if I was the parent I would put the two girls in the same room. Mainly because of the chemistry between them, most probably there would be less arguments, and they may have the same taste.

Its something you need to discuss with your husband. See how he feels about putting a boy and a girl in the same bedroom. However, they are only at a young age!

X
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

Feb 25, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Sitton
    The two younger ones are going to need their own rooms sooner or later. The 12 year old will be there 6 more years and in 6 years they will be 13 and 10 and can't share a room at those ages (or a few years before). The oldest is going to need her own room in another year or two (a 14 year old shouldn't be sharing with a 9 year old). Why not just give them all their own rooms now and avoid future problems?
    streptococci Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Yeah OK, I understand that there is a major age difficulty.

If there are enough bedrooms in the house to give them a bedroom each, and you and your husband are OK with it then go for it! Im sure the two youngest kids will be happy with whatever happens.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 05:14 PM
    I agree with the oldest having her own room and I agree with the two youngest each having their own room. Think of in a few years when it is not appropriate for a girl and a boy to share a room. If you buy the house now that will need that need, you will be ahead.

When my parents bought their last home, I was seven and my older brother was 9. Mom was pregnant with my little brother. Dad built an extra bedroom in the basement, added half a bath to the laundry room. My youngest brother did stay in my room until he was three and my folks felt he could safely maneuver the stairways. Then my Dad added a second bedroom downstairs.

There are options to living arrangements. It would be one thing if all the children were a year or two apart. But with their ages, the wisest would be to look at each having their own space.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 05:28 PM
    It all depends on where you live and if you rent or own.

Where I live, if you rent, boys and girls cannot share a room of any age. Lessors will not rent a 2 bedroom apartment to a family of 4 with a boy AND a girl, but 2 of the same sex are okay.

Is there a reason you can't buy a home with one more bedroom?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unknown odor in bedrooms [ 5 Answers ]

I had a house built in summer of 2001. During the Spring of 2006, I noticed a strong "gas/chemical" odor in a bedroom. So strong I had to keep the door shut. This smell also appeared in another bedroom. The bedrooms are separated by a bathroom but the "gas/chemical" smell is not in the...

Children sharing bedrooms [ 12 Answers ]

Here's our situation: I live with my sister right now, I have no other place to go. I have 3 kids (all girls) and she has 2 kids (one girl, one boy). Our current rooming arrangement is that my older 2 girls (6 and 8) share a room, the younger 2 girls (4 and 4) share a room, and my sister...

Wiring basment bedrooms [ 5 Answers ]

I am running a new line from breaker box to bedroom # one. I want to install 2 three way switches running the power 14/2 to the light and then to the swithches. My question is - can I runlines from light to power the rooms recepatcles or am I better to run power to the switch first and then to...

Virfinia State Law on Sharing Bedrooms [ 3 Answers ]

In the state of Virginia, what is the age at which a child (girl) can no longer share a bedroom with a boy (step brother). Thank you.

Bathroom chandelier and Bedrooms [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I want to install a chandelier above a bathtub. What is the minimum height do I need above the bottom of the tub? Also can more than one bedroom be on 1 acr fault breaker. And is it better to have the receptacles and lights on separtate arc faults? Do smoke detectors need to be on...

View more questions Search