Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Remember too, that, at least here in the states, it is the older adult going back to college. The average nurse graduate right now is 43. We were considered non-traditional students until here recently. At my school there are more adults attending college and university than there are teens straight out of high school.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Feb 26, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    It won't happen. The government wants a dumb populace so that they can govern them better. If everyone had a good higher education they may revolt.
    Well, they are not likely to get a well educated populace out of most of the institutions of higher learning as they exist today. My father completed 6th grade, and was better educated than most college grads of today! (He was born in 1898)
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 27, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Yeah another pandering handout during an election year paid for by US taxpayors.

What's next free hybrids?

If Obama mentioned this, why did he not approach it from a different angle. Limit tuitions... oh that might piss off the teachers unions.

Look at our public education, how many kids get it "free" and don't care for it and end up disrupting the class for those kids that actually want to learn?

If you want to learn and improve your station in life, do it the old fashioned American way, work for it and earn it - I did.

If you don't want to put in the effort, time, sacrifice, why should taxpayors pay for your education?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Hello again, Gal:

Yeah, I agree. Educating our people isn't a good idea. We should keep 'em dumb. We should teach them to "just say no to drugs". We should teach them that God made the earth. We should teach them NOTHING about sex.

THEN they're prepared to flip burgers.

However, THAT certainly wouldn't happen if they were educated?

By the way, are you educated?? Usually the ones who aren't, are the ones suspicious of those who are.

excon
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 10:33 AM
    I would LOVE if every child who dreamed of going to college got the chance to go.

How many outstanding doctors, scientist, nurses, etc. are we all missing out on, because that talented person couldn't afford to go to college. Many and way more then we should be.

There is brillance out there that we are just not making the most of. What would it hurt to invest in our children? It cost wamore when we don't.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Then all those educated professionals could " flip the burgers " ? Or is it more jobs Americans won't do !
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    then all those educated professionals could " flip the burgers " ? or is it more jobs Americans won't do !
    Hello tom:

You're American. You're educated. You don't flip burgers. Why not? Are you above that? Probably. But, not because you're American. But, because you're educated.

So, you think McDonalds would shut down if everybody got educated?? Of course, if you close the borders, which you white guys would like to do, you're right; there wouldn't be anybody to cook your burgers.

Fortunately, we're a nation of immigrants. It's worked fine for us in the past - even for you. I wouldn't change it. You would. I spose that's why you ask your question. I guess you think we're not going to let anybody in to cook your burgers.

I don't think McDonalds would stand for that. I don't think you would either. What? You don't like your burgers?

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:20 AM
    I did lots of work to pay for my education Flipping burgers was one of them .
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Many a college kids flips burgers. Some graduates are flipping them now. Nothing wrong with flipping burgers.

Not having every child have the opportunity to go to college... in my opinion... most times keeps those that have... keep having... and those that don't have... don't haves.

Not every child would take advantage of the opportunity, just like other opportunities that some have that go unexercised.

I was one of 5 it was a sweat job for high school tuition. If I was offered the opportunity to go to college back then, I would have passed.

Today you have to have a college education, I was just very fortunate.

I think in a way, that flip the burger fear for most, is a cop out. I don't mean that harsh, honest I don't.

I think there may be a fear, that the little people may catch us.

That sounds awful doesn't. But I tell you what, I come across edcuated, not educated and all sorts in between, and there is incredible talent in each group, to have talent go by the wayside, because one does not have the means is so antiquated.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:23 AM
    I see no reason why college education should be free which really means someone else pays for it.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:26 AM
    I see many a reason. I see it almost every day in the faces of our youth with hearts that are willing but the purses are not.

There is zero reason to keep them down and their talents hidden because they were not born into a family who could afford higher education.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:31 AM
    as a previous educator at a university, perhaps its odd I have mixed feelings here?

I absolutely do not think there should be guaranteed college ed funded by the govt. period.

if you want to provide loans and a means by which people who are qualified get financial help, especially when needed, fine. Coming from an lower class home, I was thankful to get all the loans and grants I received.. and I NEVER thought "im so put upon to pay back this money" for my loans... sure, I was glad when they were over, but I made a choice.

free college is an awful idea. Classes are often glutted now with kids who are just at college because their parents are willing to foot the bill. And sure... even if they grad with a degree they don't care about, it gets them a step up on the financial ladder much of the time... but the strain on the education system would be immense... not to mention the devaluation of the degree.

I was the first in my fam to graduate from college. I value the opportunity. I also earned it with grades, determination, and work. Loans and grants did fine by me.

tho' as the country is running now, with the huge financial mess we are in... there's good reason to believe ed funding is just going to get harder and harder to get, let alone free ed.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Hello again, tom:

As we just discovered, Exxon Mobile made about $40 BILLION last year, off you and me and Inthebox and every other American. That's PURE profit AFTER taxes. Please don't try any more of your voodoo right wing spin on it.

If we taxed the oil companies and ONLY the oil companies, just 10% on their obscene profits, we could pay for college for EVERYONE who wants an education.

Or do you think the oil companies are the only ones who should do the squeezing?

excon
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:37 AM
    There is a difference between helping people gain an education when they want it, and giving it away like candy in a parade.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Again the facts contradict what you say . Exxon paid more taxes than the lower income workers combined . Also Exxon is a publicly traded company and their profits are found in the statements of pension funds and 401Ks

I think kp2171 is correct in that the education is diluted and less valuable the more graduates there are . I know what he is taking about when he says " classes are often glutted now with kids who are just at college because their parents are willing to foot the bill." I knew many students who were biding their time at a 4 year party .
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:44 AM
    My daughter, coming from an upper middle income fam, will graduate this spring with more college debt than I did, coming from a lower income fam...

Seems fine to me.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    again the facts contradict what you say . Exxon payed more taxes than the lower income workers combined . Also Exxon is a publicly traded company and their profits are found in the statements of pension funds and 401Ks

I think kp2171 is correct in that the education is diluted and less valuable the more graduates there are . I know what he is taking about when he says " classes are often glutted now with kids who are just at college because their parents are willing to foot the bill." I knew many students who were biding their time at a 4 year party .
    And turning it into a 6 to 8 year party. They enter the workforce with the mindset
    Of what can I get out of you, instead of the days, when can I contribute.

Maybe, just maybe, if this somehow could work out, where everyone had an opportunity, maybe those who take it for granted, wouldn't take it for granted any longer.

I'm not saying hand things out like candy, there would have course have to be academic requirements.

I just can't believe that people couldn't support higher education opportunities for everyone.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    there is a difference between helping people gain an education when they want it, and giving it away like candy in a parade.
    Hello again:

I don't know. Back when an associate degree meant something, the Community College system was set up to offer a FREE two year degree. In some places, that's still happening. It worked then, and where it's still happening, it's working now.

I don't see it, at all, like the free candy scenario you describe. Frankly, I think those that show up for the free candy soon find out that it's not free at all. Or they flunk out and cook burgers. You can't force it down people’s necks. But, at least they were exposed to an opportunity. Offering it IS a good thing, and it's proven to work.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again:

I dunno. Back when an associate degree meant something, the Community College system was set up to offer a FREE two year degree. In some places, that's still happening. It worked then, and where it's still happening, it's working now.

I don't see it, at all, like the free candy scenario you describe. Frankly, I think those that show up for the free candy soon find out that it's not free at all. Or they flunk out and cook burgers. You can't force it down people’s necks. But, at least they were exposed to an opportunity. Offering it IS a good thing, and it's proven to work.

excon

YUP - I don't get what the "fear" is. Why the resistance?
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 11:51 AM
    I am tired of the gvt. Picking my pockets that's why. Free in this case does not mean free. Gee I got a great idea. I am smart enough and qualified so hear me out. In about a dozen years I could earn my doctorate . Then and only then will I fulfill my potential . So I'll take a decade off from my obligations and you can subsidize my existence... Sounds like a plan to me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

Used Furnaces. Good or Bad Idea? [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about purchasing a few used furnaces from a homeowner whom is leveling a two family dwelling. I think this is a cost effective method, rather then buying brand new. Is this something that can be done, and is there anything I should know in advance? Are used furnaces something to...

Bad Idea ? [ 10 Answers ]

Im currently spending some time with a guy I meet through friends. He is 19 and I am 16- is this too much of a gap ? He is out working and living his life and I am still in high school. The other half of it was that he was married at 18 to a girl and 4 5 months after they got pregnant. They...

Kind of a bad idea? [ 6 Answers ]

Aiight I had a post on here a while ago about this one girl and I thought she liked me so I told her I liked her more than a friend and I guess I was wrong in my prediction(she didn't like me as more than friend) haha.. I kind of still liked her but she was being an about it saying that I...

View more questions Search