Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hippiefeet Posts: 60, Reputation: 4

Feb 25, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Cat/chicken love
    Can cats and chickens co-exist in a small yard? Would a chicken climb over a 4 foot chain length fence?
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

Feb 25, 2008, 01:20 PM
    You be the judge!

Chicken and cat
    YouTube - Cat and chicken
    Or
    YouTube - Chicken doesnt like kitty

And I would say yes about the fence, unless you clip the wings!
    YouTube - Stupid farmer...(watch the chicken in the background)
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 25, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Depends on the cat, some of them will get a chicken. We had cats and chickens growing up and they were fine together, the cats kepy mice and rats out of the coop. 4 feet might not be tall enough, 6-7 feet is better. You could put some mesh on top to keep them in.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Before you go too far down this path, are you in an area that will let you keep chickens? Not all spots will.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Mar 1, 2008, 06:16 AM
    In answer to the questions about the chain link fence,
    A chicken with or without been clipped can still jump at a hight of around about 8 feet high which means that seriously the chicken will be able to get out if it wants to,
    As for cats and chickens if you get a young kitten and let it grow up around your birds you will not have a problem, as long as it grows up around them it will see your birds as safe and not for killing, however it will still attack wild birds or chances of it are high anyway even if it doesn't,
    I used to keep cats and birds togather quite happily and I breed birds, my uncle breeds parrots and has cats living in the bird room quite happily, it all depends on how the cat is brought up, if young and placed in with your birds if you keep an eye on it and it shows signs of wanting to attack you can catch it befre it does anything by the scuff of its neck and move and then after this has happened a few times it will learn,
    Cats and birds can grow up quite happily togather :)

But seriously I would consider getting a higher fence and if living in areas then make sure it is an area you can keep chickens in,
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Mar 1, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Forgot to say also that my uncle also keeps chickens running about and the cat is fine with them, the chickens sometimes try and bat the cat away but 99% of the time they don't bother and the at doesn't bother at all, :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Is it good to feed a cat exclusively boiled chicken without the bones. [ 2 Answers ]

I am afraid that I may have poisoned my old cat that I had to put to sleep with IAMS canned cat food. Later I found that it was tainted. Our other cat is a picky eater. Her favorite food is chicken, or dry dog food. With the pet food scare, I prefer to boil a chicken up for her. She LOVES...

I love my cat, but. [ 2 Answers ]

Excerpts from a Cat's Diary Day 983 of my captivity. My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear,...

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

View more questions Search