Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazycat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Disabilities:can you work part time
    I live in the state of Missouri. I was wondering when you work a part time job, is there a limited amount of money you can make per month that does not inter fear with your SSDI check? If that is the case and you stay under that limit, can you work those few hours per week, claim your withholding tax on that check and not ask SSDI for permission to work?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 03:59 PM
    I think it depends on a few things.
    My son and most people I know are allowed to work up to 20 or 30 hours a week but only allowed to make $600. A month.
    The best thing is to ask your worker what is the specific thing for you.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Yes, you can work part time and still receive SSDI. But do not try and hide it from Social Security. They find out anyway! The IRS and they are on friendly terms. Your CaseWorker will tell you just how much you can make and may require verification of such income.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Is the monthly sum a real monthly sum or a yearly sum divided by 12?
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 06:32 PM
    A monthly sum because you are only allowed to work xx amount of hours a week. Approximately $150. Per week
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Well gee. That's stupid. What if you have a disability that is mostly dependent on the weather. So that's no help or fair.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 07:41 PM
    I agree cause that is the problem I have. I am not on disability but I have a hard time with the winter and I freeze.
    But they have to draw their lines somewhere. Use to be they would cut you off if they caught you mowing the lawn.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 07:41 PM
    If you have a disability that is affected by the weather or dependent on the weather, you are either going to collect no disability at all or you will collect disability each month. It does not work in part and parcel like that. All or none.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 07:44 PM
    I think Kiss meant if you want to work and make the same amount they allow you to for a year in a few months instead of spreading it out over the year.
    I think they figure if you are able bodied to work 40 hours then you should be able to work a normal full time job then not need it at all. Plus you would be going over the $600. A month.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2008, 07:58 PM
    No, suppose one provided extra help for a firm, and the firm does most of it business during the summer. Let's also hypothetically say that you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder and have serious trouble working in the winter.

I tried to make this easy with this example.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Does that mean that they CAN work full time in the seasons and make $12,000. Or more per month they are able to?
    I always thought you weren't allowed to make more than $600. A month for any reason.
    Maybe I should apply cause my season affective is more than I can stand.
    I have always worked May through Sept.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 07:50 PM
    I believe it's individualized, but the sum of SSD+Other disability insurance must be less than the salary you were making before you were disabled. I get the impression that's it's the monthly totals that matter. Meaning: actual earnings/month and not (variable yearly earnings)/12.

The monthly test along with an endurance determines when you are no longer disabled. Otherwise, the test would only occur once per year. A job that classifies you as non-disabled must pay at least the amount of your pay when you became disabled indexed to inflation.

Ok, you can make more, but your benefits will be reduced to 100% of your pre-disabled salary indexed to inflation. Once you reach the salary indexed to inflation for an endurance period, your not considered disabled anymore.

Example: Pre-disabled earnings of 100K, SSD of 60K
    You can make between 0 and 100K, but you will make only 100K per year. Earnings between 60K and 100K would be lost.

I used yearly totals, but I believe it monthly totals that matter.

Again, I believe, if you have other disability insurance that say pays 75% of your salary.
    SSD pays to 60K and the insurance pays 15K to get to the 75%

Warning: Illustration purposes only. Information may not be factual. For discussion purposes only. There may be an absolute maximum for SSD as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Part Time / Full Time / Non - Resident - need clarification on this [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian Citizen. I came to US on L1 Visa on 20th October, 2007. I am trying to file the tax return through File Taxes Online - Do Taxes FREE - File Taxes With TaxACT. There is a question : "Whether you are a part time resident / Full Time Resident or Non-Resident". I am not sure...

Is it because I am Part-Time? [ 2 Answers ]

I work at a great working environment; well at least most of the time. I have been at the same company close to a year now it will be a year June 2. I received this job right after I finished with high school; which is a plus because I go to college and come to work part-time and they are very...

Tax re: Full-time job in NJ and Part-time job in Brooklyn,NY [ 1 Answers ]

Am a Jersey resident working full-time(40 hours, AGI~$60,000) in Jersey claiming 5. May be accepting position in Brooklyn, NY for additional part-time (16 hours,AGI~$19,000-23,000) Have read responses about resident in Jersey working in NY with one job. Since my part-time position is in NY, I...

Part Time Versus Full Time [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the line for part time employment versus full time employment in Georgia. I can't find it anywhere!

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

View more questions Search