Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hammerthumb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 08:28 PM
    Ventilation in tight construction
    I am constructing a 2500sf two story single family home on the coast in northern California where the temp remains fairly steady and cool (rarely much above 75 degrees and rarely if ever freezes)and have concerns about air quality and air depressurization and would appreciate some advice. I am building the home using Insulated Concrete Forms (ICFs) so the house will be very air-tight. There will be outflow of air from bath fans (perhaps on timers throughout the day), a central vac system, and a downdraft vent for a peninsula cooktop. I am installing radiant in floor heat so there will not be air circulation from an air-blowing furnace.

Can you suggest to me the best ways to deal with:
    a) providing make up air when the central vac or cooktop downdraft vent are engaged
    b) maintaining air quality by circulating fresh air into the home and stale air out.
    c) managing moisture build-up (if necessary)

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.:rolleyes:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2006, 08:55 PM
    Are you not planning central air? If not, I would consider at least a small whole house fan. When it is 75 outside, it could reach 85 inside. Opening selective windows on the first floor and turning on the fan will quickly pull the temperature down.

You might consider a vent ducted to the cook top. As for the central vac, cracking a window in the room where you are working could help.

I have tightened my old house up to where I had to add an air duct into my wood burning fire place to get it to draw right.
    Agent Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 02:33 PM
    Air to air exchanger
    Size and purchase a energy recovery ventilator for your home. Install during the construction process since it will need to be ducted separately. Our mechanical code requires one for all new homes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing layout - a tight squeeze? [ 13 Answers ]

Upon remodelling an old bathroom (second story, no fixtures above), I found nearly all the pipes to the fixtures nearly rotted through (brass drains?), with no significant venting. I have a left hand tub (5') and hope to position it against the north wall (70"), with a 10" rough in toilet and sink...

Tight swollen feeling all over my body [ 7 Answers ]

Ugh. For the last few days, I've had this weird, uncomfortable feeling that my skin is too tight or that I'm all swollen. My feet and legs feel as if I'm wearing very tight socks, even when they are bare. My hands feel very tight and swollen when I clench them. My arms and legs feel heavy and it...

Toilet ventilation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper way to vent a toilet. I have a two story house and the upstairs toilet was fine for ten years without a vent, but eventually it didn't flush properly. A vent pipe was installed, hoping to aid in flushing, but the problem was as simple as cleaning the little hole in the bottom...

PVC Tight Places HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

I was forced to cut off a closet (toliet) flange and the 90 degree elbow to which it was glued due to damage to get to clean PVC drain pipe in good condition. The problem is where the elbow will turn up and at the point where the new flange and coupling is needed is very tight. The area is between...

Air-Tight? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what is the lightest air-tight material or combination of materials?

View more questions Search