Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Feb 26, 2008, 10:20 AM
    We all should remember at least one thing; The media people characterize ANYONE who disagrees with them as "ignorant".
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Feb 26, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OlveraUK
    What an ignorant question!
    Then why did you bother?

Actually, if you read the follow-ups, the questioner is pondering the obviously misinterpreted actions and attitudes of people living in the southern states. He/she makes a valid point, as the responders have demonstrated by deconstructing the misinformed stereotypes.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 26, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kindj
    Please note that Texas is the only state with a legal right to secede from the Union; refer to the Texas- American Annexation Treaty of 1848. We Texans love y'all, but hack us off one time to many… and buh bye. There isn't a thing out there that we need and don't have.
    Yes. People often forget the historical retrospect that six flags have flown over Texas.

I've lived in Las Vegas going on 12 years. I can only imagine that many Texans are having some measure of disgust for NAFTA and the Super Highway. What is the consequence and compensation for having property in the mapped path? Are you hearing of fair value offers for loss of land, homes, businesses, and what of the hardships, relocation? I know this a controversial political subject, but my interest is in how the State and/or Federal levels of our government are going to handle compensation packages for those effected with notice of zoning and annexation, etc...
    jennyrene Posts: 20, Reputation: 6

Feb 26, 2008, 03:31 PM
    the question is why are people in the south so ignorant. I was born in nc and I have lived in many places, but my home is in Alabama. I despise the thought of slavery. I believe that every man should work, and not spit and kick on someone to do it for them. Oh! What they must have gone through. But, there is ignorance all over. There are things that confuse southerners about the north and northerners about the south. I'm proud to be an american and southern. We tend to have very strong moral values (this is the bible belt) most of our kids still say yes mam and yes sir. Our women are tough and beautiful or men can lead us through any hardship. We are educated and we've got each others back. However I love snow up north and the mountains also.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Or as someone said, "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God."
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 26, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorLy
    Hello, I hope you are doing well. Please, let me explain the topic of this thread before I get attacked.

As a person living in California, it seems as if many people (not all, of course) who are raised and live in the Southern states of the US are still ignorant when it comes to a variety of issues, even though it is approximately a century and a half since the American Civil War. I am looking for an unbiased answer to this, because I really do not know much about the south and am really interested in finding out. This will be a starting point for much more research that I will conduct on my own.

Thank you.

"bless your heart, " you call Southerners ignorant while admitting that you really don't know much about the South.

I'm southern born, northeast raised and schooled, back in the south going on 14 years as an ethnic minority.

- There is as much prejudice and racism in dowstate NY as there is in the South. Personal experience. The difference is that rural prejudice is from ignorance, lack of exposure. In the urban setting prejudice is from ideas despite exposure to diversity.

- The difference you cited is more rural vs urban. Small town rural upstate NY has more in common with small town rural TN than they do with any of NYC's 5 boroughs.

- Most Southeners I know actually take the second amendment seriously. Guns are used more so for deer and small game hunting to eat versus inner city gang warfare.

- Slavery was an issue antebellum because of the economic implications, but the vast majority of the Confederates did not own slaves. This was a state vs federal rights issue.

- Where recruiting runs strongest | csmonitor.com
    40 % of military recruits are from the south.

- Lincoln and Jefferson Davis were both born in KY
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 10:37 PM
    VICTORLY -#1 as you stated ( YOU HAVE ONLY BEEN IN 2 STATES< (NEVER I N A SOUTHERN STATE , I have been every state in the union except for one9 WASHINGTON) I am truly a reble by heart and birth, Above mentioned about some of the presidents of the great USA, there were also some from the great state of TN, I think you have as they say in the south , opened a big can of worms or a real big can of WIP A_ _. THere are more racist in the north then there is in the south, and CITY KIDS ARE downright LAZY , They don't know the real meaning of work, every one of them should put about a month of real farm life in before saying how ignorant we are and stop to realize that us ignorant people help feed them the food that help keep them alive. AS for gun control - Where has all the crazy shootings and killings happen?? Where ever you are getting your facts from, they did not know what the real facts are or you are reading them wrong or are to ignort to understand what you are reading I can't understand where you are getting you ( STATISTICS at) Before YOU DO ANY MORE OF THIS ,I THINK YOU NEED TO GET A HISTORY BOOK AND ENCYP> AND STUDY IT < AND EVEN BETTER YET COME AND LIVE IN THE SOUTH FOR A FEW YEARS AND I Don't MEAN JUST ONE STATE< You'd LEARN A LOT AND CHANGE A LOT OF YOUR WRONG FEELINGS ::: A LOT OF THE THINGS YOU ENJOY TODAY WERE INVENTED HERE IN THE SOUTH OR MADE HERE IN THE SOUTH < THERE ARE MORE SIOUTHERN MEN & WOMEN IN THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES then from the northern states, ALSO DURNING THE VET NAM SO CALLED WAR < THE ONES THAT BURNT THEIR CARDS AND WENT TO CANADA JUST TO KEEP FROM GOING IN THE MILITARY TO FIGHT FOR FREEDOM< AND THEIR COUNTRY WERE FROM THE NORTH< THEN CAME BACK TO THE USA WHEN IT WAS OVER AND WANTED AMMESTASTY> WHICH THE PRESIDENT GAVE THEM. IF I HAD BEEN THE PRESIDENT I WOULD HAVE TOIL THEM > IF THEY can't FIGHT < TO MAINTAIN There COUNTRYS FREEDOM <TO GO BACK WHERE THEY HAD BEEN BECAUSE THEY DID NOT DESERVE IT ( FREEDOM ) AND WHAT AMERICA ALWYS STOOD UP FOR . There's an old saying here in the south and that's :: ( REBELS SAVE YOUR CONFEDRET MONEY <FOR THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN>):::! GOOD AND GOOD LUCK ( You'll NEED IT ) GOD BLESS < GOOD OLE SOUTHERN SAYING>:: F.B.E. PS A LOT OF YOU HAVE GIVEN REAL GOOD ANSWERS TO HIS STUPID QUESTION < GOOD GOING:::::!! F.B.E.

Feb 27, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle
    VICTORLY -#1 as you stated ( YOU HAVE ONLY BEEN IN 2 STATES< (NEVER I N A SOUTHERN STATE , I have been every state in the union except for one9 WASHINGTON) I am truly a reble by heart and birth, Above mentioned about some of the presidents of the great USA, there were also some from the great state of TN, I think you have as they say in the south , opened a big can of worms or a real big can of WIP A_ _. THere are more racist in the north then there is in the south, and CITY KIDS ARE downright LAZY , They dont know the real meaning of work, every one of them should put about a month of real farm life in befor saying how ignorant we are and stop to realize that us ignorant people help feed them the food that help keep them alive. AS for gun control - Where has all the crazy shootings and killings happen??? where ever you are getting your facts from, they did not know what the real facts are or you are reading them wrong or are to ignort to understand what you are reading I can't understand where you are getting you ( STATISTICS at) BEFOR YOU DO ANY MORE OF THIS ,I THINK YOU NEED TO GET A HISTORY BOOK AND ENCYP> AND STUDY IT < AND EVEN BETTER YET COME AND LIVE IN THE SOUTH FOR A FEW YEARS AND I DONT MEAN JUST ONE STATE< YOU"D LEARN A LOT AND CHANGE A LOT OF YOUR WRONG FEELINGS ::: A LOT OF THE THINGS YOU ENJOY TODAY WERE INVENTED HERE IN THE SOUTH OR MADE HERE IN THE SOUTH < THERE ARE MORE SIOUTHERN MEN & WOMEN IN THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES then from the northern states, ALSO DURNING THE VET NAM SO CALLED WAR < THE ONES THAT BURNT THEIR CARDS AND WENT TO CANADA JUST TO KEEP FROM GOING IN THE MILITARY TO FIGHT FOR FREEDOM< AND THEIR COUNTRY WERE FROM THE NORTH< THEN CAME BACK TO THE USA WHEN IT WAS OVER AND WANTED AMMESTASTY> WHICH THE PRESIDENT GAVE THEM. IF I HAD BEEN THE PRESIDENT I WOULD HAVE TOIL THEM > IF THEY can't FIGHT < TO MAINTAIN THER COUNTRYS FREEDOM <TO GO BACK WHERE THEY HAD BEEN BECAUSE THEY DID NOT DESERVE IT ( FREEDOM ) AND WHAT AMERICA ALWYS STOOD UP FOR . Theres an old saying here in the south and thats :: ( REBELS SAVE YOUR CONFEDRET MONEY <FOR THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN>):::!! GOOD AND GOOD LUCK ( YOULL NEED IT ) GOD BLESS < GOOD OLE SOUTHERN SAYING>:: F.B.E. PS A LOT OF YOU HAVE GIVEN REAL GOOD ANSWERS TO HIS STUPID QUESTION < GOOD GOING::::: !!!!! F.B.E.

A little harsh but what can we do when we are who we are. I can't say that all of anybody is this or that but I can say, I love that my kids run through the sprinklers, catch lightening bugs, eat watermelon on the tail gait so we can spray it off with the hose, and aren't afraid to get dirty. My little girl can take down a boy any minute if she has to. My son, who's 8 can tell you just when the peas and corn are ready to pick out of the garden and he knows you have to cut the okra off and not pick it or your going to be in some pain. They both are very hard workers. They are a b honor roll students and can come home and take care of more chores ( bringing in firewood, feeding the dog, setting the table, helping there daddy skin a deer or clean and filet a fish)than a lot of kids being raised more modern. We take the boat out to the river when it's warm and swim or fish all day.
    Yes we are fighters, not saying we like to hurt people, but with all of the suing going on, I think a good old fashioned butt kickin' never hurt anybody(it would put them straight faster). I think the reason we are the way we are is maybe the turnip greens, who knows lol. I don't expect other people to understand what I'm saying. I'm living the good life.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 12:23 AM
    Babram- Does Texas still hold the right in its stste const. to withdraw from the USA and dive-ied it self into 3 separate states of it's own?? I left south West Texas when I was 14 and I can remember that being thout in school , My dad was a railroad section forman ot the southern pacific railroad. Do you know where marthon and sanderson Texas is?? The section was just about 1/2 way between them ,out in gods country ( in the middle of the desart. ::: F.B.E. GOD BLESS
    darhe3425 Posts: 57, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Victorly, I glad this is purely for research, however I don't think you're going to get an unbiased response. Most people from the south are pretty sensitive about this. I wonder where this stereotype of southerners being ignorant comes from. My opinion, is that the use of the English language has to do with it. Southerners refer to Northerners as speaking "proper" whereas, proper english may be the difference in inflections, dialect, and so on. Southerners tend to leave off articles, and linking verbs. Also, I would think movies have been influential, such as that movie, can't think of the name, with Spencer Tracey where creationism vs darwinism was put on trial, in the South and the people in that film were portrayed as less than intelligient because they accepted literally the words in the bible.
    Guns... I can't give an unbiased response. Even if some people aren't hunting they seem to like them. I knew an old man who walked around with a pistol sticking out of his belt and no one said a word. Maybe they don't trust law enforcement. I can see why. Also we had a governor once in Mississippi, Gov. Fordice, he routinely carried a pistol in a holster while out walking the dog downtown.
    I hope this helps your research.
    FeelSoNumbZombie Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Feb 28, 2008, 03:04 PM
    From my experience about guns. My Southern Grandma held one under her pillow, while she slept, "just in case- dear", she would say. My Northern Grandma ran from bullets when she got off the train once because of her ethnic background, "that is why I will never be prejudice and neither will you", she would say. To me, I would rather protect myself than to ever try to run from a bullet!
    To me each part of our country has its ignorant and intelligent. I do not believe one has anything over the other. Different lifestyles, different avenues of approach to a subject. From my experience, in the South, men still open the door for me. In the North, they wait till I open it. Or many of them, from my experience. Does that make either ignorant? I guess it is an opinion. For me, I would rather still have the door opened. To me it shows that he is a gentleman. The unspoken shows good up-bringing. The majority of the south are conservatives. I believe this is due to strong religious ties in their communities. Where the North, the majority are liberals. I believe this is due to the experience of different cultures and belief systems. Each have benefits and pitfalls.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 28, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Babram- Does texas still hold the right in its stste const. to withdraw from the USA and dive-ied it self into 3 seperate states of it's own ????

Hi F.B.E.-

Yes. But understand that any State could succeed, although that happening more than likely would cause conflicts, skirmishes, and possibly war. Texas has a unique situation because of the agreement in the Annexation Treaty that permits the State to do so legally.

I left south West Texas when I was 14 and I can remember that being thout in school , My dad was a railroad section forman ot the southern pacific railroad. Do you know where marthon and sanderson texas is??? the section was just about 1/2 way between them ,out in gods country ( in the middle of the desart. ::: F.B.E. GOD BLESS

I only know that Sanderson is in west Texas. Marthon I'm not sure the location. Texas in it's vastness has so many towns. I never knew my grandfather, but coincidentally he retired from the RR. And may G-d bless you. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 08:46 PM
    BaBRAM - IF you looked on a Texas map and find sanderson Texas, then look to the west about 55m,iles you will find MARATHON TEXAS,ON US 90 HWY. Next is ALPINE, TEXAS. The railroad went from Marathon towards Sanderson but leaveing mathron it went to the southin order to go threw a pass and valley where the section was, it came into the valley in a slight ( S) and went out the eastern end of the valley the same way Then it started swing back to the north towards HWY () AND into SandersonTexasn just mountains and desart, as I always called it ( GODS COUNTRY ) Well GOOD DAY AND GOD BLESS ;;;; F.B.E.

Feb 29, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelSoNumbZombie
    From my experience about guns. My Southern Grandma held one under her pillow, while she slept, "just in case- dear", she would say. My Northern Grandma ran from bullets when she got off the train once because of her ethnic background, "that is why I will never be prejudice and neither will you", she would say. To me, I would rather protect myself than to ever try to run from a bullet!
    To me each part of our country has its ignorant and intelligent. I do not believe one has anything over the other. Different lifestyles, different avenues of approach to a subject. From my experience, in the South, men still open the door for me. In the North, they wait till I open it. Or many of them, from my experience. Does that make either ignorant? I guess it is an opinion. For me, I would rather still have the door opened. To me it shows that he is a gentleman. The unspoken shows good up-bringing. The majority of the south are conservatives. I believe this is due to strong religious ties in their communities. Where the North, the majority are liberals. I believe this is due to the experience of different cultures and belief systems. Each have benefits and pitfalls.

Said so nicely. To me it's hard to beat living in the south. But, there are things that I respect about the north also (broadway, movies, snow, art) but you couldn't pay me a million dollars to leave my roots behind.or God
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 05:05 PM
    First off, I am going to admit that I did not read the entire thread. So, my bad if I stepped on any toes, or repeated what anyone said.

Personally I take offense to this post. I was born in Pennsylviania, raised in Ohio, Michigan, and Alaska, and currently live in Tennessee for the past 8 years. I used to have the same beliefs. As I would be made fun of (I just graduated high school the first time moving to Tenn, in 1982), just because I was a yankee.

I was harassed about the civil war, blah blah blah... My family was overseas in Poland and Chezolovachia during the civil war. It was just because I moved down below the Mason-Dixon line that I was chastised. No one took it upon themselves to learn about me personally, they just ASSUMED.

Now, with that said, I have moved all over the State of Tennessee, and I have met some of the smartest, most knowlegable people I have ever known in my lifetime, and I have traveled the ENTIRE United States.

Have you ever visited the Southern US? Do you know us personally? Or are you just assuming?

Just because some of us talk funny doesn't mean we aren't educated.

Oh, yeah, and the Civil War, if it weren't for that, would the US be where it is today? I think not (as I look at the cannon ball lodged in the tree in my front yard for years, and I preen and take care of my slave wall every spring).
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:44 PM
    J_9 - For several years I worked as a field supt. For a intermational builder out of Detroit, Mich. And I had to work all over the real yanky land Upper Ill. Penn. NEWYORK ,Ohlo,WASHINGTON DC,AND MICH. AND I had to fight the civil war all the time, every time I said anything, or got on the phone , I would hear the same thing, ( YOU are from the South , AND I"D PROUDLY SAY YES< ANMD LIKWE YOU I have been in every state in the USA except one and thats the state of WASHINGTON, but i have flown over parts of it and dropped a few bombs on it over the years, I was USAF,back then, IT was not real bombs ,it was done elect. to certain targets, might be a smoke stack or the corner of a big building diown town. But getting back to the question,about the south, WE may talk funny or different but we get said what we mean, and NOT BE OUT OF BREATH WHEN WE GET IT SAID.::: BUT YOU WILL FIND ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE ALL OVER THE USA < NOT JUST IN ONE LOCAL< JUST AS MANY IN ONE AREA AS IN ANY OTHER STATE OR AREA> I HAVE A LOT OF FRENDS UP IN YANKY LAND < THEY STILL TEASE ME AND I THEM > I ASKED THEM ONE TIME " DO YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DAM YANKY AND A YANKY< A YANKY COMES SOUTH FOR THE WINTER BUT GOES BACK HOME TO THE NORTH< A DAM YANKY IS ONE THAT COMES SOUTH FOR THE WINTER AND STAYS
    OH well I guess I'D better close now before I start the civil war all over again,;; ( REBELS SAVE YOUR CONFEDERATE MONEY FOR THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN./ Good Day & GOD BLESS
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Feb 29, 2008, 09:56 PM
    We just is, ignorant. We were born that way.

(but no more so than anyone else, from anywhere else)
    Lets face it isn't we all.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Feb 29, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    (as I look at the cannon ball lodged in the tree in my front yard for spring).
    That is so awesome, I wish I had a cannon ball tree. Lol
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Mar 6, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorLy
    Hello, I hope you are doing well. Please, let me explain the topic of this thread before I get attacked.

As a person living in California, it seems as if many people (not all, of course) who are raised and live in the Southern states of the US are still ignorant when it comes to a variety of issues, even though it is approximately a century and a half since the American Civil War. I am looking for an unbiased answer to this, because I really do not know much about the south and am really interested in finding out. This will be a starting point for much more research that I will conduct on my own.

Thank you.
    I am not from the south but I think by making such a bigotted statement like you just did, you are the ignorant one.
    darhe3425 Posts: 57, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2008, 03:00 PM
    VictorLy, which issues are Southerners considered to be ignorant of?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

South Park [ 2 Answers ]

What town in Colorado inspired the fictional town of South Park?

I do NOT want to get pregnant & I'm totally ignorant about pregnency and dates. [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I am 23 years old girl.Its been 5- 6 months I got into a relationship and in Jan we ended up making love.I am totally new to this and have no idea about sex or dates or anything at all.My boyfriend says he has some knowledge but I am not at all confident about his knowledge.By now we would...

Suffering Again.am I really this ignorant? [ 76 Answers ]

Ok... so I'm back. I have been on the boards browsing this whole time, but haven't really posted, but here I am again. Long story short... had a boyfriend... for about 9 months, he said he needed a break. We broke up and I thought I would die. I suffered and made myself and everyone around me...

Ignorant Anthropologists? Or Political Correctness? [ 15 Answers ]

I have great respect for the science of anthropology but recently I came across two representations which made me question both motives and the qualifications of those anthropologists who were involved. First, there was a documentary concerning the Taino Indians of the Caribbean. I began watching...

View more questions Search