Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kart2005 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 04:55 PM
    Non-living spouse on F-1 status maintaining temporary absence
    Greetings!!

I am a resident of Connecticut since 6 yrs and on a H-1B visa status right now. I got married to a student who was on F-1 status in the year 2004-2005. Because of medical reasons she went back to her home country maintaining her diligent paperwork supporting to maintain temporary absence F-1 status with her university. Later on we decided to get a divorce on mutual consent that we are getting in Feb of 2005. I had added her as my spouse in my 2004 tax return. After she went back to her home country she did not return back to US till date. But I had to maintain her expenses as spouse and listed her in my 2005 tax returns. Is there any problem for me for listing her in my tax returns as my spouse even though she is not in USA. Is her temporary absence on medical grounds with the university valid if she is on medical grounds? I request you to reply to me, since I don't want to face any problems during my green card process.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2006, 08:26 PM
    Kart 2005:

If the divorce was final before 31 December 2005, you cannot claim her as a spouse.

You may be able to claim her as a dependent on Form 1040, but I do not have enough information to determine if that can be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse Resident Status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a Mexican Citizen currently on OPT, changing status to H1B in October. A while ago you advised me to file as a married resident, so I could be able to take the standard decuction, and my child deduction. I have a couple of questions: 1) I know I can file as resident, since I'll be working...

Temporary custody [ 1 Answers ]

Mother has custody of my 2 sons through final orders .she wants to send one of them to me.can a document be drawn up to make a temporary agreement that is separate to the final orders?

Temporary Custody [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know if temporary custody is given in one state(GA) then the child is taken out of state to (VA). Does GA. Still have jurisdiction over the case.

View more questions Search