Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetkendra Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Finding the probability of.
    I am having trouble finding the probability that 2 mushroom jellyfish will be selected if I am going to draw 2 jellyfish, without replacement, from a tank that contains 5 mushroom jellyfish and 3 cannonball jellyfish. Can anyone help me with this question?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 03:12 PM
    You actually have to calculate two individual probabilities first. Start with the probability that your first pick will be a mushroom jellyfish. Then do the probability that the second pick will also be a mushroom jellyfish (assuming that your first pick was.) Then multiply these two probabilities. The product will be your answer.

Feb 24, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Do I need to subtract 2 from each kind and then multiply them together?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2008, 04:19 PM
    There are 8 jellyfish altogether.

The probability of drawing a mushroom jelly is 5/8

The probability of drawing another is 4/7

Feb 24, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Thanks for your help. I see now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Another Probability [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if I got this question right. A food distributor carries 64 varieties of salad dressing. Appleton Markets stocks 48 of these flavors. Beacon Stores carries 32 of them. The probability that a flavor will be carried by Appleton or Beacon is 15/16. Find the probability a flavor...

Probability [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the data 10 mg sub A Placebo headache 15 65 n headache 17 3 Question If two different subjects are randomly selected, find the probability that they will both have a headache. I think that it would be 15/100*17/99 but the...

Finding the probability [ 2 Answers ]

Assume that male and female births are equally likely and that the birth of any child does not affect the probability of the gender of any other children. Find the probability of at most three boys in ten births. Please help me I don't get it.

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem: if z=x+y then f(z)=? (f(x,y):is given) please help me

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

2000 applicants aged 18-25. Drug users non-drug users Positive test results 297 34 Negative test results 3 1666 An applicant has positive test results? An applicant tests positive and uses drugs?...

View more questions Search