Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1000melochey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Splitting with girlfriend after 2yr living together
    I was living with my girlfriend for 2yr. We had a wedding party, but We were never married under NYS LAW, We don't have any kids, She never worked, We don't owe a house or any property, Now we split up, I worked and I saved some $$ in my bank account. Can she sue me for anything? Thanks in advance
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 11:17 AM
    It doesn't sound like it. I don't know if NY recognizes common-law marriages, but even if they do it generally takes longer than 2 years to establish one.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    It doesn't sound like it. I don't know if NY recognizes common-law marriages, but even if they do it generally takes longer than 2 years to establish one.

No, no common law in NYS for a very long time. An Attorney recently posted in another thread that a common law marriage which begins in a State which recognizes common law (and there are only a couple) and then carries over into NYS can be recognized in NYS as a common law marriage. However, there was a recent Will challenge in Surrogate's Court and this argument was denied.

So to the best of my knowledge, no common law in NYS and from what was posted I don't think there's any basis to sue anyone.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Can you try and sue you, heck I could sue you for it, but she should not be able to win, unless she can prove she has some claim to the money.

And of course is the money in a "joint" account ?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 24, 2008, 12:40 PM
    She may have a shot in smal claims court, but if there was no agreement, or her name is not on the account, it won't be easy. If there are no children, and she never worked, what did she do all day, school I presume? Whose name is on the lease? Nosey ain't I.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 2yr old won't sleep through the night [ 5 Answers ]

:( Is there anyone that would know how to get my little girl to sleep through the night. We have tried everything that we can think of. She did sleep through the night at one point and time but she hasn't for about 6 months and its getting toward where she wants to just play at night. What can I...

Still living with girlfriend of 3 years who broke up with me [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everyone, It's been two and a half weeks since the love of my life broke up with me and things aren't getting any easier... if anything, they're getting harder and harder as my hopes for reconciliation dwindle. We were together for 3 years and lived together for 2.5 of them. I'm 25 (she's 33)...

How do I find out if my 2yr old is gifted or not? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone I have been browsing the net, looking for an answer and saw a question posted by Lorraine on the very same subject - I too would like to know how to recognise whether my 2 yr old (tunred 2 on 13th, Feb 2007, so actually 2 3/12) is gifted or just a quick learner or just intelligent...

Living together in Oregon-splitting assets [ 2 Answers ]

From what I understand Oregon is not a common law state. I have lived with my girlfriend for some 17 years (except for a 2 year hiatus in the middle). We have had joint checking accounts, file taxes separately, keep our original names, have comingled considerable sums of money, owned 2 businesses...

2 1/2yr old child w/ viral encephlitis [ 3 Answers ]

My 21/2 year old son was diagnosed with viral encephalitis just after turning 2 which has now left him neurologically devastated. The virus was never found and it is not a metabolic disorder. He also has seizures. He has about 20 subclinical daily. MRI shows some degradation of brain tissue...

View more questions Search