Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julieloveu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Adopting step son; mother abandonded
    The father and I are not married, but we have lived together and have two other children in our relationship. Our oldest son came with dad and mom abandonded 6.5 years ago. She calls him once in a while and that is about it. She moved to CT and has stayed there ever since she left. She has not made any attempts at seeing him and even had another child. I want to adopt my 10 year old son as my own.

Do we have to get married first?

Does she have any rights in the state of WAshington?

Where do I start with a motion to take away her rights?

Thanks

Julie
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 05:47 PM
    It would make things easier if you were married. Either way, you need to file a motion with the Family Court in your county of residence. The bio mother will have to be given the opportunity to contest or consent to the adoption. Does she pay support? If not, that'll weigh in your favor if she contests the adoption. The fact that she only phones sporadically will help your case also.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 24, 2008, 08:25 AM
    You can not adopt your " step son " because he isn't your step son. If you were to try to adopt him then the father also would have to sign over his rights because your not married you are a separate entity in the eyes of the law. You need to check with your local laws to see how everything applies. In a lot of states you must be married a certain amount of time before any sort of adoption can take place. Do not do this without consulting a good lawyer and dotting every I and crossing every T. Make sure that everything gets a courts stamp of approval.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2008, 08:38 AM
    As stated... if you were wanting to adopt the child into your "relationship" you will need to be married because as of right now the child isn't even a step child to you... legally of course.
    Most states require you to be married a year before they will allow for step-parent adoption.
    The easiest way to then go about it is by having the mothers consent. If she consents to relinquish her parental rights to allow for you to adopt the child, things will go much easier.
    If you are trying to terminate her rights, this is a very difficult task. If you are trying to use abandonment as grounds to terminate you will have to check your laws to see is she guilty of that. In Ohio it is a year of no child support AND no contact. Every time she calls to talk to her child, the slate is wiped clean.
    But if it goes that long with no child support AND no contact, you could file to terminate her rights on the grounds of abandonment. It is then in the courts hands as to what they think is best for the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting step father and natural mother split up before adoption is finalized [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering... In the State of California about adoption proceedings.. A fathers rights were terminated, ( the 1 year abandonment is what got him, my brother had got in trouble, so the mom knew where to get him mom is only 21 years old, the judge so stated herself, that is not lack of his...

Adopting my Step Son [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have had full custody of my son for many years and his Bio-mother is not involved in his life except for an occasional phone call every 6 months or so. She recently agreed to give up rights of him so that I may adopt him. We are in Texas. Is there an easy way to do this or do...

Adopting my step daughter [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to adopt my step daughter? The situation is that her father is on the birth certificate but does not play a role in her life. My wife has full legal custody and a protective order agonist the father preventing him of knowing where we live. He pays no child support or has no...

Adopting my step daughter [ 2 Answers ]

How do I legally adopt my step daughter what steps do I need to take I'm caring for her

Adopting my step daughter [ 3 Answers ]

My step daughter is 18 mts old, her biological father does not see or speak to her(through his own choice). My wife and I are considering that I adopt faith(stepdaughter). However as neither of us have ever done this before it would be useful to know where to start. So if anyone knows how to start...

View more questions Search