Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quick decisiion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 03:18 PM
    Need to cancel lease signed today to rent home
    I am leaving bad relationship and have signed a lease today
    To rent a house that is is a dump. Since I signed just a few hours ago, can I get out
    Of this on some kind of grace period?:eek:
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Feb 23, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Yeah.. there is a period where you can back out a lease... I don't know what the time frame I but I'm pretty sure its more than a couple of days. Call the landlord or managing agent and tell them that the relationship with you boyfriend has ended and that you want off the lease. Do that now... leave a message.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 03:29 PM
    If there is any grace period to cancel the lease then it will be specifically spelled out in the lease, usually near the signature line. Read the entire lease carefully.

If there is nothing mentioned in the lease then there is no grace period by law. Try calling the landlord and telling that that you're not going to be able to take the place. Maybe they'll be reasonable.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Many states have laws that differ depending on where the contract was signed.

For instance, if the contract was signed at the office or residence of the landlord, then there is no grace period but if the landlord came to where you were, then there is often a 24 to 72 hour retraction.

Check into this in your state.

Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant Signed Lease Without Giving Deposit or Rent Monies [ 2 Answers ]

Tenant and landlord have signed a lease for a residential home in California. No money has yet to be exchanged. Tenant has not moved in to the home. Is the lease still binding?

Signed lease gave 1st last sec. Landlord sold home before I moved in. [ 6 Answers ]

I recently rented a home or so I thought. I signed a lease gave them 1st and last and security deposit, they cashed my check. 8 days before I am to move in they call and say they sold the home. I live in Florida. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but, I handled everything myself...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Never signed lease. Behind on rent. [ 6 Answers ]

Never signed lease on current apartment. Current apartment #10 wasn't available when I moved. Landlord gave me smaller apartment #5 (I did sign lease on #5) & I then moved into #10 a month later. (He just handed over keys to #10). Due to a whole different mess, my checks to landlord didn't go...

View more questions Search