Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grets1333 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Discrimination or what?
    My friend is having a real serious problem at her job. About 6 months ago, she went into a new position at her workplace, where she has been 8 years now. She is the plant/office secretary. Three months after she was there, they moved her (and her helper) from her office into a broom closet, or at least that's what it feels like. Its so crammed, she had to bring home half of her personal belongings, such as file organizers, pictures, etc. Now they are talking of moving her once again, into an office with a guy, who is a total slob. Everyone goes into this office, and leaves paperwork all over the place, and it is further away from the warehouse, where she has to go into all the time.
    For the discrimination part. She left her shipping post for this job, and the woman that replaced her, all of a sudden, got 2 full time helpers plus 5 temp workers, and she couldn't even get 1 helper! The fact that this woman is big breasted and the guys all stand around looking at her chest, makes it hard not to think it is anything other than discrimination. Now that woman, after 6 months, is moving into an office position that has been created just for her, and they give her a cubicle next to the sales people. So why wasn't my friend given a cubicle? Her position requires privacy and also quiet. She is about to quit, and I would hate to see that.
    Oh and by the way, one of the reasons she took this position, was she was trying to move from the warehouse into the office. Although they have given her additional work, she is in the warehouse more than her predecessor. She is in the first stages of emphysema, and being in air conditioning would help her health. Now what does she do? Please help.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2006, 07:01 AM
    Hi, grets,
    I am not a lawyer, or experienced in discrimination cases. But, have worked three major jobs, as a manager, and supervisor, and hourly for many years.
    Discrimination is hard to prove in many, many cases.
    In this particular case, I really don't think she has anything to "stand on". Companies can move an employee anywhere they like, assign new types of jobs anytime, and basically, do most anything they want to.
    If I were she, I would be looking for another job; where I am appreciated.
    It's obvious that the company isn't doing anything to make things better for her, but have gone out of their way to make it worse.
    With a good lawyer, their might possibly be a case of discrimination, involving health issues. If the company knows about the developing emphysema, they may be trying to get her to quit before health insurance payments, medical treatments, etc, increase for her.
    As reported by the TV National Network news, some companies now have employees sign a contract stating they will not or stop smoking cigarettes. I am not saying she smokes, but just giving this as an example of what companines can do legally, to decrease their health insurance premiums.
    I do wish her the best of luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Same here
    Not a lawyer, and don't even play one on tV

But basically if they were promoting a man over a women and you could prove it was for that reason

Or if they promoted a white over a black.

But this appears to be two women, one who moved into a position after her and is getting promoted.

It is very possible that they were considering giving the position she had before more help but she moved before it happened or after she moved they figured it out that more help was needed.

And for broom closet, sounds like a company I was at 20 years ago, we actually did clear a closet out ( big one) and put two people in it since we were reorganising and needed more space.

As for as a office with a slob, if he is, tell him or report it to the boss.

Sorry discrimination requires that someone is not treated equally due to a protected class. Treated unfairly perhaps but not illegally
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 26, 2006, 05:58 AM
    Doesn't sound like your friend enjoys her job too much,but who does.She moved once if the oppurtunity comes along she could move again for now she just has to do the work and make the best of it,if quiting is not an option.:cool:
    CoolRiver Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 03:05 AM
    Employers in the USA are like slave Masters and then men are like whoremongers, and the woman like prostitutes, the ways of this world have gone to be like it was in the days of Sodom and Gorrmorhah. Ethics went out the door and so did morals... remember these kids were probably latch key kids and the way they fight the stress is goof off, and wait for the next high they can get on their day off.
    MayMsredrose Posts: 189, Reputation: 13

Oct 6, 2007, 03:21 AM
    It's obvious that this lady is using her body to get promoted while your friend is just hard worker... Well she can not prove discrimination... and I do not advise that while she is talking to her manager or HR asking for her rights to compare herself with this lady or even mention her name otherwise it might back fire on her and get things worse than they are... quitting the job is not the solution because she will find such characters wherever she goes... she should ask the right people for the change highlighting her needs and achievements and asking for whatever she do require to improve her performance.

GOOD Luck.

Ms. Redrose
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Oct 7, 2007, 08:36 AM
    hay I feel that she should quit the job and start smwhere new.because if the management can't regard her 8 years experince then I don't hope that they would regard her anymore and will shut off her in that cubical and will bully her rather than regarding her experience.

WELL I HAVE A TIP OF DOING A JOB,that is that one should tyr new things and not stick to one office or job for more than years this gives one a variety of experience and gives the employer a good chance to feel ones value.

I think mine is the most different or may be very controversial suggestion but I suggest that she should leave and begin and new job or continue there and try to cope up with things.
    lovelygurl Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 06:30 PM
    "She is about to quit, and I would hate to see that."
    I could be wrong, but this is probably what the company WANTS her to do.

If her position requires a cubicle or quiet, then has she ASKED her superiors for these necessities?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discrimination against height? [ 5 Answers ]

Why has basketball been arbitrarily limited to the taller men? This is like limiting boxing to heavyweights. Why not make this sport available on a professional level to all heights and adjust the height of the basket accordingly. Nothing is lost in the drama of the game.

EEOC & Racial Discrimination [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a claim filed in Phoenix against AAA of Arizona. This is the auto service club that changes tires, tows, etc. I am going to a mediation meeting and am trying to get more information to take in with me. I need to find out about similar cases and the settlement amounts given. I am...

Does this sound like discrimination? [ 9 Answers ]

Does this sound like discrimination? I’ve not been able to visit the dentist in a year because I was rushed into hospital for a hip replacement back in January 2005. Recently I tried to make an appointment with my dentist only to be told that because I had not visited it in a year I had been...

Is This Discrimination ? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a quick question. I live in FL, and a friend of mine was fired because her boss said that she didn't fit in to the 4 person office she was working at. I told her that it is because is was the only black female there. Everyone else was white. She was there only 3 or 2 weeks and her boss had...

View more questions Search