Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    T43NR2W Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Okinawa Bank Incident 1964/1965
    In late 1964 or the first half of 1965 there was an incident involving the transfer of several hundred thousand US Dollars in cash between 2 banks on the island of Okinawa. The money was being transported by truck in I believe a canvas bag accompanied by bank employees. Upon arrival at the Bank of the Ryukyus in Naha the bag was missing. I do not think the loss was ever solved. I cannot find any web site or newspaper article on this incident. Can you point me to a web site or newspaper article?

Thank you.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by T43NR2W
    In late 1964 or the first half of 1965 there was an incident involving the transfer of several hundred thousand US Dollars in cash between 2 banks on the island of Okinawa. The money was being transported by truck in I believe a canvas bag accompanied by bank employees. Upon arrival at the Bank of the Ryukyus in Naha the bag was missing. I do not think the loss was ever solved. I cannot find any web site or newspaper article on this incident. Can you point me to a web site or newspaper article?

Thank you.
    Sounds fascinating. I have no idea, but would be fascinated to know how you came across this piece of information?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 06:28 PM
    I pride myself at being good at finding info on the web, but sorry I could not find anything about it. Where did you hear about the story ?
    T43NR2W Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Thank you Frangipanis & Fr_Chuck for your interest in my Okinawa Bank "heist" query. I was stationed on Okinawa from June 1964 - October 1972 as a civilian working for the Department of the Army. I remember the incident clearly as it was covered in all the local media. The reason I bring the subject up at this time is that during a recent sorting out of old Japan/Okinawa newspaper clippings I came across this poem that was published in The Morning Star newspaper (an English-language paper that folded after the Okinawa reversion to Japan). It was published in the 10 July 1965 edition in Letters to the Editor, Voice of the People. Following is the poem:

THE VAGABOND

While driving north on Highway One
    One bright and sunny day
    I chanced to hit a piece of glass
    A-lying in the way

A tire went flat, I stopped the car
    Off from the traffic's tide
    And lo--I saw a vagabond
    There standing by my side

This vagabond was dressed in rags
    His hair in disarray
    His bearded face just like a wraith
    You'd meet on judgement day

He stood and watched me change my tire
    His manner calm and still
    When from his rags there chanced to drop
    A twenty dollar bill

I was so flabbergasted at
    This happening so weird
    I just stared at this vagabond
    Behind his grimy beard

At last my senses did return
    I asked him whence it came
    He answered in a voice quite clear
    "I've hundreds of the same"

"They were lying by the roadside
    In a canvas bag, one day
    They dropped out from a passing truck
    As I strolled along the way"

"I took the bag up to my home
    A cave in "Hacksaw Ridge"
    About a thousand meters south of Machinato Bridge"

"I papered all my walls with cash
    Two hundred twenty grand
    You'll find no finer cave my friend
    In this or any land"

"But don't try to discover it
    I've covered up the place
    And twenty sticks of dynamite
    Removed the faintest trace"

So if you want the treasure friends
    Please follow my advice
    When'er you meet a vagabond
    Be sure to treat him nice.

When this was published it was obvious to all that this poem referred to the unsolved incident of the bank transfer loss of several hundred thousand US Dollars. In the 1960s that was a considerable amount of money. It should also be noted that US Dollars were used by both US Forces and the Okinawans at this time.

One other thing, there actually was an Okinawan man as described in the poem. You would see him frequently walking up and down Highway One, the main north-south highway on the island. He would be wearing nothing but a tattered raincoat (nothing underneath) and it usually flapped in the breeze so it was apparent that was all he was wearing. I don't recall but he also probably had on rubber zori (flip-flops) as coral could be rather brutal on bare feet.

I know that this incident would have been covered in the following newspapers:

The Morning Star
    The Ryukyu Times
    The Ryukyu Shimpo
    The Japan Times
    The Asahi Evening News
    The Mainichi
    The Yomiuri
    The Pacific Stars & Stripes
    okinawa Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Where did you stumble upon this information?
    nealcoffin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 09:11 PM

I lived on Okinawa from 1957 to 1972 and recall the bank robbery. I also recall the robber was enticed back to Okinawa by his girlfriend, several years later. He was arrested upon arrival.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for son born 2/24/1965 [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for my son who was born Feb 24, 1965 at Tampa Bay General Hospital.

1964 Ford Fairlane... Died and Won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

Quick history. Rebuilt the car in High School. Ran for about two years. Had brittle wire problems so put the car down for about 5 years. Just rewired the whole car, rebuilt the carburetor, and replaced the ignition switch. I licensed and registered the car and drove it from my parents house to...

1965 freedom rides [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to find information on why the freedom rides had a significance for the aborginals and why. Bahh please helppp?

1964 Tub Replacement [ 2 Answers ]

I have purchased a Swanstone Retrofit shower base. I did the measurements from the original tub drain to the wall and thought everything was going to line up. Little did I know that the drain was actually much closer to the wall studs and that it T'd to go under the tub drain. The shower base...

View more questions Search