Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kaitie9906 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Adopted cat
    OK me and my nana adopted a cat named Beau (Bow) and so my nana went away on vaccation so I am taking care of him, Beau has been ripping up a book he shouldn't of, he has two cat scrathing posts so how do I make him stop?

Another problem is he has is his pads on the bottom of his pas there really cracked so how do I get them not craked(smooth)?:confused:
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 10:18 PM
    When he starts scratching inappropriately, you can either use a squirt bottle -- which will not hurt him but that he won't like -- or just a loud NO to him. And then immediately remove him from whatever he's digging at, and put him on one of the scratching posts. I suspect it would work better for now to only have one post so he gets the connection more easily. Then you can move his paws in a pawing action on the post for him to get the idea. And then praise him in some way (sweet talk or pets) while doing this, so that he also makes a good association to the post. And praise him when he uses it on his own!

No guarantees. Some cats get the idea easily and take to it, some are a pain. :-) You have to be consistent and diligent about it.

As for the pad problem, don't know, unless it's just dehydration. (A lot of cats are dehydrated and we don't even know it.) Or just plain dry skin. In which case some omega-3 may help, which can be found in fish oils like salmon and cod, or even in flaxseed oil. It's much better if you can find one made for cats specifically and it'll have a dose on it. (Probably something like 1/4 tsp.) That way it won't have other garbage in it. You sometimes can find that stuff in health food stores, which carry pet stuff, and does not require a prescription.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

My 1 yr old cat who has never had kittens is lactating to an adopted 7 month old. [ 1 Answers ]

My 1 yr old cat, who has never had a litter of kittens, is lactating to my 7 month old adopted kitten. Is it even possible for him to make her lactate, or is there a possibility of her being pregnant? She got outside almost 2 months ago during her heat, but has no physical signs of pregnancy....

Adopted 3 yr old dog frightening my cat! [ 5 Answers ]

I have just adopted a 3 yr old yellow lab from the humane society. He's a beautiful dog, but he is constantly chasing my cat from one end of the house to the other and driving us all crazy. The cat has not eaten since he's been in the house. Any suggestions as to how I get these (2) to get along?

How to litter train adult adopted cat [ 1 Answers ]

We have adopted an 8 year female cat that has never been litter trained since she has been an "outside" cat. How do we get her to use litter?

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

View more questions Search