Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srj Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Strong signal but can't connect to internet
    We have wireless internet with Linksys router. Our home PC connects to internet via wireless as well as PSP. Our laptop says strong signal, connected to internet but when we try to connect via IE or VPN we can not connect. Can anyone suggest a setting that should be checked? Much appreciated.
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 23, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by srj
    We have wireless internet with Linksys router. Our home PC connects to internet via wireless as well as PSP. Our laptop says strong signal, connected to internet but when we try to connect via IE or VPN we can not connect. Can anyone suggest a setting that should be checked? Much appreciated.
    Not enough information. Is this a brand new setup? Did it ever work? Does your PSP connection work? If new, how did you do the install (manual or via an ISP disc)? Who is your service provider?

Feb 23, 2008, 10:18 AM
    It's not a new setup, in fact it did work at one time. PSP does connect to internet. Also, if I bring my laptop out to library or hotel with wireless internet it connects! Geek Squad did the set up originally.
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 23, 2008, 10:30 AM
    OK; I though you were implying that PSP (Play Station I assume) somehow was pertinent to the problem because you specifically mentioned it. Now, if Geek Squad did the original setup, they should have provided you with specific documention relative to you configuration (eg, router options and settings). Compare them against your current settings and adjust accordingly. By the way, you still didn't identify your service provider as requested so good luck in resolving you issue and hopefully someone else may be able to assist you.
    topladyj Posts: 323, Reputation: 13

Feb 23, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Well I have never had wirless internet but I have had a linksys router at work... well I could never get an internet connection until I diconnected the router and reset the motim (can't spell) Once I got a connection then I would plug in the router with the computer on and everything would be fine.

I had so many problems though with the linksys router taking me offline I have SBC Yahoo DSL at work. That I finally had to disconnect it and I just haven't pluged it back in if I keep losing connect its worthless to me. GOOD LUCK

Feb 23, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Optimum Online is our ISP. I mentioned PSP just to illustrate that we are able connect to internet via wireless on my PC and other ways. Thanks for you assistance.

Feb 23, 2008, 10:42 AM
    How do I find the laptop settings so I can compare as suggested? Thanks
    Duecey93 Posts: 207, Reputation: 3

Mar 1, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Go to start-control panel-connections-click on what ever connection you have.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 09:42 AM
    If you have a computer that is connecting to modem/router combo
    Then you need make sure networking is set up in non working one

Go to START ---> Settings ---> Control Panel ---> Network & Dialup Connections
    Is there a Make New Connections Icon -- Is there also a Local Area Connections Icon?
    If there is not an icon you need to click on Make New Connection and Follow Wizard
    If there is an Icon RIGHT click on it and click PROPERTIES -- This should open a box
    Local Area Connection Properties -- Your network card information should be here...
    Check on your working computer to see what is required -- get back to us

Linksys.com – Support/Technical Support

Linksys.com – Learning Center/Network Basics

Since you have a Linksys router -- as a last resort call 1-800-326-7114
    That is the number for Linksys -- Write it down and keep it handy -- OK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IE won't connect to internet [ 8 Answers ]

HI - I'm running XP, Modem/DSL. FireFox connects to internet, but IE6 or IE7 won't. Because of no IE connection, some apps, e.g. Quicken won't connect either. Earthlink suggests running Norton Anti-virus. Anyone have a idea?

My PC won't connect to the internet! [ 10 Answers ]

Hey!! Recently my partner has moved in and I have their PC it hs never had the internet on before so I took my ethernet out my laptop and run my blueyonder broadband cd in the PC. And pluged the wires in to the PC when instructed to when it came to connecting it the error message poped up...

Can't connect to Internet [ 4 Answers ]

I am connecting to my wireless internet, but when I try to connect to the internet it says, "cannot find server." When I try to repair my wireless connection, it stops and says it can't be repaired because it cannot renew my ip address to talk to the person that manages my network. I don't know...

Cannot connect to the internet [ 3 Answers ]

When trying to connect to the internet the following error is displayed "dns is unable to resolve ip address".How is this overcome?

View more questions Search