Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 23, 2008, 08:13 AM
    This really happened - at a Word Perfect Site!
    I thought this was such a jewel and just had to share it with my cyberfamily!

SMILE OF THE WEEK
    (contributions for this section are most welcome)

=: The Help Desk :=

This has got to be one of the funniest I've heard of in a long time. I think this guy should have been promoted, not fired.

This is a true story from the Word Perfect Help line which was transcribed from a recording monitoring the customer care department. Needless to say, the Help Desk employee was fired; however, he is currently suing the WordPerfect organization for "Termination without Cause".

This is the actual dialogue of a former Word Perfect Customer Support employee (now I know why they record these conversations):

Employee: "Rich Hall, Computer Assistance; may I help you?"

Customer: "Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."

Employee: "What sort of trouble?"

Customer: "Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden, the words went away."

Employee: "Went away?"

Customer: "They disappeared."

Employee: "Hmmm So wh at does your screen look like now?"

Customer: "Nothing."

Employee: "Nothing?"

Customer: "It's a blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

Employee: "Are you still in Word Perfect, or did you get out?"

Customer: "How do I tell?"

Employee: "Can you see the 'C:' prompt on the Screen?"

Customer: "What is a sea prompt?"

Employee: "Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?"

Customer: "There isn't any cursor; I told you, it won't accept anything I type."

Employee: "Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

Customer: "What's a monitor?"

Employee: "It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does It have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

Customer: "I don't know"

Employee: "Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

Customer: "Yes, I think so."

Employe e: "Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged Into the wall."

Customer: "Yes, it Is."

Employee: "When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there

Were Two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

Customer: "No."

Employee: "Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

Customer: "Okay, here it is."

Employee: "Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

Customer: "I can't reach."

Employee: "Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

Customer: "No."

Employee: "Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

Customer: "Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle, it's because it's dark."

Employee: "Dark?"

Customer: "Yes -- the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

Employee: "Well, turn on the office light then."

Customer: "I can't."

Employee: "No? Why not?"

Customer: "Because there's a power failure."

Employee : "A power... a power failure?... Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and the packing stuff your computer came in?"

Customer: "Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

Employee : "Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from".

Customer: "Really? Is it that bad?"

Employee: "Yes, I'm afraid it is."

Customer: "Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

Employee: "Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer.

[author unknown]

xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 23, 2008, 08:54 AM
    A paid support person has no escape from the inept. Very, very funny!
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Feb 23, 2008, 11:35 AM
    LMAO, that's funny. But the customer had it coming though.
    Bellagrace19 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Feb 23, 2008, 12:14 PM
    I do believe that he set himself up for that swift kick in the butt...
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Hehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehe, would anybody have been able to hold themselves back after all that, I know I wouldn't, lol
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 02:57 PM
    LMAO... poor guy
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 03:01 PM
    I think the employee was actually very restrained.

Oh dear haven't laughed that hard in ages.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Feb 26, 2008, 06:28 AM
    I think scotgem would like this one. It was really funny. Nice to see joke that make the day go by. Lol
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 27, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Scottish..

I thought about him when I posted it and hoped he'd look, but I guess he's not much into the humor department.

Maybe we should post it in Computers or send the link in a PM to him. I hope he does catch it. He's a fine person - almost an old friend here to me.

spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 12:45 PM
    I used to work in tech support and I had a customer who would NOT listen to what I was telling him finally I got so mad I said "Sir the problem lays between your Keyboard and your chair!" Fortunately for me my boss didn't care and I didn't get fired.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 27, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom
    I used to work in tech support and I had a customer who would NOT listen to what i was telling him finally I got so mad I said "Sir the problem lays between your Keyboard and your chair!" Fortunately for me my boss didn't care and I didn't get fired.
    Good for You!

I used to manage two servers myself with an entire military hospital and outlying clinics on it for a unix based program for which I also had to load the old Kermit program on all the PCs. I would give classes on how to use the program, but right after the class I would get several phonecalls for help. I would threaten them with lashes with a wet noodle.. I guess it depends on not what you say, but how you say it - it was great fun.
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Feb 27, 2008, 02:34 PM
    I actually laughed out loud for this joke.
    Duecey93 Posts: 207, Reputation: 3

Mar 1, 2008, 08:55 AM
    That is very funny, it is so funny it seems like he was pranking the help desk lady.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Mar 1, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    Scottish..

I thought about him when I posted it and hoped he'd look, but I guess he's not much into the humor department.

Maybe we should post it in Computers or send the link in a PM to him. I hope he does catch it. He's a fine person - almost an old friend here to me.

You should to see what his response you will get. Nice thought. Haha
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 1, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Sorry: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Too Stupid to Own a Computer :(:(

Shame we can't say things like that to people when we're doing tech support.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 1, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Sorry: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Too Stupid to Own a Computer :(:(

Shame we can't say things like that to people when we're doing tech support.
    Dear Ben, I don't know what you should be sorry for... I found this on a memership site newsletter as a Smile of The Week Joke.. so I guess things do get passed around a lot, especially when considered good and worth passing on.

All of the Smile of the Week jokes I forward to the humor section are not from me personally, so I an honestly not a copy-cat, just a passer-on.

How is the new Mom doing?

Love, Cher

P.S. You're doing a great job here!
    love is abby Posts: 114, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Why would they fire him? That's ridiculous! LMAO, that brightened my day.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery

All of the Smile of the Week jokes I forward to the humor section are not from me personally, so I an honestly not a copy-cat, just a passer-on.

P.S. You're doing a great job here!
    Chery
    I'm sure the majority of the jokes here are things we all pass on , and yes Ben does a fantastic job.

Keep the jokes coming I say!! What would the days be like without a few laughs :-)
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Chery, I thought I was reading about myself, haha, but not "quite" that bad. Although I am leaving "heel marks" being drug into this computer age... but getting there...

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I randomise images in a site to be linked via html coding for another site? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am mesmerised. How do Flickr, mybloglog, Facebook and numerous other sites update their badges eberytime the information is updated? Someone told me it is done with js. I hava a wordpress.com blog, which means I am not allowed to use javascript there. So I have to link my images updated...

What could have happened? [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend had broken up because she wasn't ready for a serious commitment. We had been seeing each other at least twice a week recently and everything was cool. We talked on the phone a bunch. We spen the morning together yesterday and we had lunch together. Everything was cool and...

Lotus word to Microsoft word [ 2 Answers ]

My articles are saved in lotus word format. Can I opened it under Microsoft word or " open office" software? If yes, how do I go about it?

MS Word - multiple instances of the same word? [ 1 Answers ]

In MS Word, is there a way to highlight a section of text and get some sort of read on which words appear the most often? Thanks Paul

Adding a word and its meaning to Word Dictionary [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know how to add a word to the existing system dictionary in MS Office 2002. Now I need to know how to add a meaning to the new word which I added into the dictionary. Can anyone suggest the procedure. Thanks in advance. SAI

View more questions Search