Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flintstones1962 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2006, 02:04 AM
    LAN to LAN via Internet...
    Hello,
    First hope that I'm not causing heaache for you...

If not please continue...

I'm building up another Domain(no forests and no trees), that domain will be in another location.

So I'll have two local area networks, where each of them is in a totally different and distant location.

Is it possible to connect the two LANs via Internet(for saving purposes), keeping in mind that both running WIN2003, DC(AD),DHCP,DNS,RRAS...
    And that in order to make any user on one LAN access the other LAN, and if yes, where this could be configured ?

Or I've to have a special dedicated line for this purpose, like leased etc...

Greetings..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2006, 06:49 AM
    It is definitely possible. But I would suggest hiring a network consultant to set it up right.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Hi, Flintstones,
    If you are interested, here is a site that explains connecting two private LAN's to the internet:
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article55.php
    The site contains about 5 different pages of explanations.
    I do wish you the best.

Jan 25, 2006, 07:29 AM
    I believe Fred misread your question. Your question was about connecting 2 LANS VIA the Internet, not sharing the Internet between 2 LANs. Basically you are trying to create a Wide Area network (WAN). And again, I suggest using a pro to set it up right.

Jan 25, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Hello,
    Some more questions please,,

1. Is it something that has to be configured only by the ISP ?
    2. Or is it possible from the RRAS ?

Greetings

Jan 25, 2006, 11:28 AM
    Actually its not something that has to do with the ISP at all. Generally 2 LANs are connected over the Internet using a VPN. But setting up a VPN is not the easiest of tasks depending on the needs for intercommunication.

Jan 25, 2006, 12:58 PM
    Greetings,
    Thanks for the answers, and I've red the Help in the RRAS and I knew how to do it.

Thanks again for your efforts...

Jan 25, 2006, 01:04 PM
    Glad to assist
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2006, 02:22 PM
    Hi, Flintstones,
    I'm really glad you got it worked out, and know how to do it.
    I do wish you the very best of luck.

Jan 25, 2006, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi, Flintstones,
    I'm really glad you got it worked out, and know how to do it.
    I do wish you the very best of luck.
    I'm sure you meant that, but it would have been nice if you apologized for misunderstanding his question and sending him to a site that didn't deal with his question. I know I would have (and, in fact have done so) in similar situations.

Scott<>

Jan 26, 2006, 12:12 AM
    Hello,
    Thanks again for everyone for the help, we all learn, and no problem if we sometimes understand something's in a different way.

Greetings,

Jan 26, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintstones1962
    Hello,
    Thanks again for everyone for the help, we all learn, and no problem if we sometimes understand somethings in a different way.

Greetings,
    Hi Flint,

I think you may have misunderstood what I was getting at here. Yes we all make mistakes, that's one of the reasons questions should be kept public, so peer review can catch them. We tend to learn more from our mistakes.

My point, is that we should acknowledge our mistakes. There was a similar situation a couple of months back where I misread a question and gave a misleading answer. As it happened Fred was the one to point it out. As soon as realized my error I apologized to the asker and did some further research to get a better answer. Its clear that Fred did misunderstand your question. All I was suggesting is that it would have been nice of him to apologize for it.

Scott<>

P.S. this is the thread I specifically referred to:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=17099

As can be seen I goofed. It was pointed out to me and I apologized and tried to make up for it. All I'm suggesting is that others should react similarly when they are caught in an mistake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet speed [ 6 Answers ]

Is there any programs out there that can help my computer surf the web better/faster? I have an old computer to give you an idea of its... I don't know... preformance I can barely run Asherons call on this computer, I tried morpheous, but I think its gearedtowards dial-up rather then ADSL (which I...

Internet bug [ 4 Answers ]

My internet stops working every so often. Can't find the site. When I go to earthlink.net it works and then the other sites work, really weird. Any Ideas?

Internet ? [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine sign on to blackplant.com but can no longer get into their home page from their cpu but I can get in to their home pg from my cpu is their a way to solve this problem if so how?

Internet explorer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm having a problem with my internet explorer browser every time I'm on a web page and I click on the internet explorer icon to bring up a new internet explorer the first page keep changing ,I'm using windows xp this is the fist time I'm seeing this how can I fix it please .thanks in advance

Internet explorer 6 [ 2 Answers ]

I got the system with win98SE platform. It got a IE 5in it. Now, I want to upgrade it to IE 6. But, whenever I down load the installation file from the Microsoft site which is for 436 kb & when I run it, it tells, previous installation is not completed & restart the machine to install IE6. So, I...

View more questions Search