Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zhao2vic Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Credit entry
    A credit entry would cause a decrease in Freight-in and Freight- out, isn't it? Since both of them have normal debit balance. My tutorial question only stated freight-in. Can someone explain? Thx!:)
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 23, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Please post the tutorial question in its entirety and we'll see.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Actually, xphelper, there's enough info there to answer it :-) It just sounded a little confusing.

And yes, it would decrease both accounts. Freight-Out is an expense account used when you're on the selling side. So you debit that when you get charged freight when you as the seller are responsible for it. Freight-In is also a debit account, used when on the buying side, which will eventually get added to the cost of the purchases. There's different methods of doing that and I can't know which your book is using. But regardless, freight-in has to be a debit account.

So either way, a credit would decrease them. I don't know if you meant your tutorial only explained one of them, or if you meant literally a question only asked about one of them. If it only asked about one, then you don't need to worry about the other for the sake of the question. But you need to know it anyway. :-)

(I admit I'm curious why you're crediting a freight account though.)

Feb 24, 2008, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zhao2vic
    A credit entry would cause a decrease in Freight-in and Freight- out, isn't it? Since both of them have normal debit balance. My tutorial question only stated freight-in. Can someone explain? Thx!:)
    Thx for your feedback, morgaine300 and xphelper!
    My tutorial question is:
    A credit entry would cause a decrease in
    A) Sales
    B) Purchase discounts
    C) Purchase returns and allowances
    D) Freight-In
    E) Freight-Out
    Ans is D though I think D and E are both acceptable
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 11:07 PM
    I see what you mean. Both D & E are correct. Weird question -- someone wasn't paying attention or something. :-)

Feb 26, 2008, 02:40 AM
    Thx, morgaine300! Hv a nice day!:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does an eliminating entry differ from an adjusting entry [ 2 Answers ]

How does an eliminating entry differ from an adjusting entry

Credit and debit entry [ 4 Answers ]

What is credit or debit entries.what type of entries we enter both?

Payroll entry and tax entry [ 1 Answers ]

Jim Jones is owner and sole employee of sanders Company. He pays himself a salary of 1,500 each week. Additional tax information includes: FICA tax OASDI 6.2% on first 93,000 FICA tax HI 1.45% on total pay Federal income tax 232.00 per year State income tax 22% of the federal income...

Journal Entry - Supplies bought on credit [ 3 Answers ]

I am having trouble with this problem (although I know it must be simple to answer!). Someone please, please help!! If your company purchased supplies on credit, hwo would you record this journal entry? Then when you make a partial payment to your credit account, how would you record that...

View more questions Search