Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michelek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Preparing Closing entries & Post Closing Trial Balance
    I don't quite understand how you incorporate the information into these accounts. For instance, you have Capital $9,000; Wage Expenses $8500; Service Revenue $1000; and Rent Expense $1600.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 08:36 PM
    I'm not sure I know exactly what you're asking. If you're actually doing closing entries, there would be more to it than just those 4 accounts. (i.e. you also close revenues and drawing, and most textbooks use an Income Summary account to do it.)

If you just want to know the effect of the expenses on capital, they decrease it. Revenues increase and expenses decrease. You can't do a post-closing trial balance until everything is closed, not just the expenses. A post-closing trial balance is exactly what it says it is: a trial balance done after the closing process. Since the closing process involves moving the revenues, expenses and drawing into capital, then none of those accounts would exist on it, and the capital account balance would have changed to reflect this. All other accounts remain the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Post Closing Trial Balance [ 7 Answers ]

I am taking business accounting and need some extra help with it. I have to prepare a post closing trial balance, and not sure how to do it, my book doesn't explain how to do it very well. Debits Cash 13000 Shop supplies 1200 Prepaid insurance 1950 Equipment 48000 Ted Dunwood,...

Post closing trial balance [ 1 Answers ]

My post trial balance does not add up.I have included: Bank, capital, debtors, creditors, office furniture and equipment, accum dep'n office furniture and equipment, GST payable, Accured expenses, loan - bank Prepaid Expenses, Dep'n Office Furniture exp, Stock on hand. Do I need to included...

Post closing trial balance [ 1 Answers ]

Is this how I do the post closing trial balance? Cash debit 6695 Accounts rec debit 1000 Supplies debit 1320 Prepaid rent debit 1650 Prepaid insurance debit 1650 Office equipment debit 9000 Accumulated depreciation credit 250 Accounts payable credit 900

View more questions Search