Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shakes12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Language in lease ends when lease ends
    Signed a lease for 18 months which states that when lease ends it will go month to month with thirty days notice. When lease ended we did not sign new lease landlord said he would like to keep it month to month. We gave 30 days notice but he said we were to give 60 days instead. Florida statue says different. House was leased by a company I worked for but I was terminated 3 days after signed lease ended.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 05:48 PM
    This is all I could find
    Florida Landlord Network - Renter Rights Handbook

Ending the Lease
    There are two different kinds of tenancies, tenancies of specific and of nonspecific duration.

Tenancy of Nonspecific Duration:
    A tenancy of nonspecific duration may be either written or oral. Either you or your landlord can terminate such an arrangement upon the following notices: (F.S. 83.57)

Either party must provide notice at least this far in advance of the next rent payment date in order to terminate the lease. This means that with a month to month lease, if either party wants to end the lease October 1st, they must notify the other party on or before September 15th. If one party gives notice on September 17th, that party cannot end the lease, without the other party's agreement, before November 1st.

If you give this notice by personal delivery or certified mail, then it will also satisfy the notice requirement for getting your security deposit back. (see Chapter 3) Be certain to include your forwarding address.

Since your month to month states 30 days then it should be 30 days
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 05:51 PM
    If your specific lease says, that it will go to month to month with 30 day notice then that is your written rental agreement.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 06:26 PM
    When a written lease ends and the tenant stays on a month-to-month basis, all terms of the prior written lease are still in effect (except for the term). If the written lease stated that the tenant needed to give 60 days notice that they did not intend to renew, then that provision still applies.

What did your lease say?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2008, 07:05 PM
    I side with Lisa. If the lease specified 60 days notice, then it remains 60 days. However, if the lease states that after the 18 months it goes month to month with 30 days notice then that provision of the lease applies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

CA - lease ends, becomes month-to-month with no contract? [ 4 Answers ]

I signed a lease that expired on March 31, 2007 that says: 30. Expiration, Tenancy From Month To Month: Upon expiration of the Term of this Lease, but not upon the earlier termination hereof, this Lease shall continue as a tenancy from month to month unless either Landlord or Resident gives...

OddS and EndS? [ 13 Answers ]

Hello there, people! Haven't seen you all for a while! Well I came back for the following reason.. Remember my last posts about being in a long distance relationship that was getting a little too hard for me and my guy? Well I ended it in September, that's why I didn't post, cause I had NO...

My subtenant wants to stay after the lease term ends [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I rent an apartment in New Jersey. My boyfriend and I have the one-year lease with landlord, and we are subleasing other rooms in the same apartment to two other roommates. The building consists of two apartments, where the landlords' family resides one of the apartment. Our lease...

Thin Ends [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Trying To Get My Hair Growing But My Ends Are So Thin What Can I Do?

View more questions Search