Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmorgan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Tax refund on mortgage interest
    How can I calculate the tax savings in a year with mortgage interest?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Mortgage interest is a deduction against income. Therefore, what you pay reduces your taxable income, dollar for dollar. So depending on your tax bracket, your savings are what you would pay on that income. If your tax bracket is 25% then that's what you save.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax deduction on mortgage interest for foreign home [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all I am in USA on a work Visa (H1B). I don't own a house in america. But I do have a house in my home country for which I am paying mortgage interest. Lender is bank from my home county. Is this interest tax deductable. I can provide statement from my foreign lender stating that I paid so...

Refund of interest income tax [ 1 Answers ]

I just received 1099-INT forms from my bank for two CD accounts and one savings account I have. The bank withheld federal tax for the interest accrued. I am considered to be a nonresident and my interst income is not taxable. The back never asked me to complete the W-8 form when I opened my...

Tax Deduction for Foreign Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

If I borrow money from a foreign lender for a property in the U.S. can I get income tax deduction for the mortgage interest I paid to the foreign bank? Thanks,

W2-C, Interest Income on Refund for 2005 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: For the 2005 tax year, my employer erroneously withheld social security and medicare taxes in excess of the actual amount I owed. This was due to my being on OPT and then moving to an H1-B. I filed form 843 in 2006 along with form 1040NR-EZ and got my refund from IRS for that amount....

Mortgage Payment After Tax Refund [ 3 Answers ]

How do I canculate how much tax refund I will get from the IRS. I am planning to buy a townhome for $700K in NJ. Property taxes are $7600 annually. Mortgage Loan amount borrowed will be $670,000. Also is there a way to get tax refund on a quarterly or monthly basis or would I need to wait till...

View more questions Search