Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Healey_65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Voltage Drop
    I am trying to illuminate a tunnel about 3000' long temporarily with 9- 400 Watt Metal Halide fixtures spaced about 320' apart. I have a 120/240 generator single phase that I will use to back feed a 240/480 volt transformer to deliver 480 volts, single phase to the tunnel lights. At 480 volts I do not have a lot of load, only about 9 amps, but I am worried about the voltage drop using a romex type nm cable. By using the voltage drop formula I figured that I could use 10-2 romex and a buck / boost transformer every third light. Has anyone had some experience with using romex cable for long, long distances. I would appreciate any input. Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 01:56 PM
    There is some ambiguous info here:

Voltage and amperage of the lights? I can't tell. 480V, 400 W?

Look for a 3% drop and remember to use 6000' . Use currents and voltages within range of the largest current of the ballast and within the operating voltage range.

Wire is wire. Well sort of. I doubt romex will be a problem. I believe it's rated to 600 V.

I do think you should ground the generator to earth and keep the grounds intact to the ballasts which would probably keep the ballasts happy.

Let's see if we come up with the same wire gauge. So what's the max current of the ballast at what operating point? What is the voltage range of the ballast?

If the buck-boost transformers are needed, you might want to size them a little higher in wattage for some of the beginning lights, just to get the characteristic impedance down. I'm assuming that you want to add a few volts on the transmission line.

Does that make sense?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Isn't this FAR outside the scope of a DIY site. I mean the forum heading behind "Electrical & Lighting" is "Home & Garden"
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Probably, but the knowledge base of the people here is pretty high.

So, was the guy asking about 3 phase rotary for his garage but he wouldn't answer the questions proposed hence he got no useful response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voltage drop [ 1 Answers ]

The Voltage will drop after 150 meter wire ,how to sole the problem . Thanks to all

Voltage drop [ 4 Answers ]

A 300sq mm cable is to be laid for 600mtr. Distance. As the distance is large so there are considerable voltage drop at the receiving side. How can we cope up with this voltage drop at the receiving end? We want a constant voltage ofd 415 V at receiving end irrespective of input voltage? ...

Voltage Drop [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20 amp breaker;there are a total of 7 receptacles on this circuit with a 15 amp GFI on the first receptacle. The first 5 receptacles in line work fine, the last two receptacles which are approximately 70 feet from the 5th receptacle flip the 15 amp GFI off when plugging in a drill. I...

Voltage drop. Is this normal? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a rural, small cabin (aprox. 50 yrs. Old) on a co-op electrical grid. The main panel with circuit breakers was recently installed (before I got here, 100 amp service) but the wiring was not replaced. It's the old two-wire (no bare copper ground). When I run certain circuits (220 well...

Voltage drop [ 2 Answers ]

How far can you run an electrical cord, that is plugged into a 20 amp circuit, and still run a circular saw? If the saw starts slowly, will that harm the saw?

View more questions Search