Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

Feb 21, 2008, 08:24 PM
    My best friends mother has just passed,
    My best friends mother passed away this morning due to a long battle with cancer. I'm the type of person that has trouble with expressing my feelings of sorrow through words. How can I comfort him? He's currently in his home state and he won't be back for awhile, I just want him to know I'm here for him completley. Any help would be great! Thank you!
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Why don't you send him a letter or an email and tell him

I heard of your family's sad news and I want you to know that I am sorry and that you can call me for anything you need, I am here for you and I love you?

Sometimes even something short is enough to show you care about someone. I hope he copes well.
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

Feb 23, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Just say I'm sorry for your loss, I'm here if you ever need anything ever. Please let me know if there is something I can do. My shoulder is here if you need it.

Something short and simple that conveys that you are sorry and that you are there.
    lostwithoutyou Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Some advice from some one who has lost a loved one. Don't tell him you are sorry when people kept saying that to me it just annoyed me and made me really angry! Show him that you are there by sending flowers or taking something round to the house or showing him a fun memory of his mum.
    Hope this helped
    Love to you x
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

Feb 24, 2008, 11:57 PM
    Thank you
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Feb 25, 2008, 01:11 AM
    I am no good with words when it comes to something like that either my best friends father passed away some years ago but she knows what I am like at expressing my emotions and words.
    A couple of weeks later she gave me a thank you card expressing how glad she is that I was there for her to help her.
    What I am trying to say is just by being there she friend will be pleased
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

Feb 25, 2008, 04:16 AM
    I've also heard people say "So and so never told me they were sorry." Everyone's process is different. It will stand out more if you don't say it than if you do say it and the person is sick of it.

I hated things like, "She's in a better place..." or "She's not in pain anymore..." and things to that effect. Those are the things that are really upsetting...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Friends family member passed away [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering what is the proper ediquette is for us to do since one of my husbands friends, GRANDFATHER passed away (3) days ago. Do we just send a card? Food for his family? What would be proper?

Mother passed and owes a lot [ 17 Answers ]

OK, so my mother has passed away and left a bunch of unpaid debt. The largest of which is the home. It was morgaged to the hilt, so she had zero equity in it. She owes 117,000. Next are back property taxes and income taxes which total in the range of 7,000. Then there are medical bills ( heart...

My mother passed away and didn't leave a will [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away this year and she did not have a will. She was living with me for the last 2 years of her life, but she has a piece of property that she and my dad owned. My mother never gained a "clear title" to the property. She purchased the land and trailer from the owner about 20 years...

Mother passed/now feel like she may be watching over me [ 14 Answers ]

Okay everyone, this is going to be a really long post, so get ready. When I was 12 yr.'s old my mother passed away from a brain aneurism. I did not grieve at all afterwards, I guess mainly because I wanted to shut it out of mind at the time (which I now know is normal, especially at the age). ...

View more questions Search