Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mltsara Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Fixed Asset J/E
    Journal Entries... please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my trial balance I have an Bldg Fixed Assets of $110,000 debit; I need to credit this amount .
    Which account do I use?

But, I have to create the following accounts,
    w/debit balances
    Office Equip. $6500.
    Leasehold Improvem $7,200.
    Vehicle $3,500.
    Equipment $25,000
    FF&E $50,000.

New acctountant. Said to pick whatever accts?? to offset... I made other various entries... I just to make sure these are done right!
    Sara
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 07:43 PM
    I don't get quite what you're trying to do. The other accounts don't have anything to do with your building. The only reason I can think of to "offset" the building account is for depreciation, which is a contra asset account called Accumulated Depreciation. But you have to know how much, and I doubt an accountant would tell you to pick "whatever" acct you want. That makes no sense. You are also stating the Building acct has $110,000 and you need to credit "this amount." That says to me you need to credit $110,000. Why?

Can you please explain better what you are trying to do?
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 07:45 PM
    I have another question. I didn't get the impression this was homework for a class, but is it? Or is this for a real company?
    mltsara Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300
    I don't get quite what you're trying to do. The other accounts don't have anything to do with your building. The only reason I can think of to "offset" the building account is for depreciation, which is a contra asset account called Accumulated Depreciation. But you have to know how much, and I doubt an accountant would tell you to pick "whatever" acct you want. That makes no sense. You are also stating the Building acct has $110,000 and you need to credit "this amount." That says to me you need to credit $110,000. Why?

Can you please explain better what you are t11rying to do?
    I need to zero out current balance. The bldg. fixed asset has $110,000. Debit bal. So I have to make a credit entry for $110,000.
    Yes your are correct the other journal entries do not have any impact on this transaction. I have to debit furniture, vehicles, etc and credit an expense acct? Depr. Already done.
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 07:51 PM
    I still have absolutely no idea what you are trying to do. Since every entry must involve at least two accounts, then I need information to know what the other side of that entry is. You're only telling me you need to credit the building account for the amount that is in it, but no one can know what needs debited without knowing what is going on. The only reason you should ever have to credit the entire amount all at once in a fixed asset account like that is if it was sold.

Then you're saying you have to debit "furniture, vehicles, etc and credit an expense acct", with a question mark. Again, why are you debiting all these accounts at once? Unless I know what exactly you are doing, I would have absolutely no idea what you would need to credit. Although an expense account seems quite illogical. As a general rule, if you're debiting any fixed asset account, it's because you just purchased it, meaning the credit would be cash or a liability of some sort, or both.
    chasewoogie Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 10:24 PM

I guess this is a case of incomplete records and you are trying to "force balance" the trial balance??

However, only you can better explain what you really want to achieve.
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 03:00 AM

The thread is a year and a half old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed asset or Intangible asset [ 4 Answers ]

Is the U.S. Treasury Note. A Fixed or Intangible Assets.

Fixed asset [ 3 Answers ]

How do I categorize and enter into the checkbook?

Is software a fixed asset [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: I have a promotional products company and I use graphics software for the business. Is software like this a fixed asset or an inventory (non-sale) item? Thank you

Depreciation of fixed asset [ 1 Answers ]

Which account is creditted when recording depreciation of a fixed asset?

View more questions Search